Author Topic: Waking after Diaper Change - Play Time??  (Read 858 times)

Offline Laykha's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 26, 2006, 07:37:49 am »
Hello all -

Our DD - almost 4 months old - tends to become wide awake during middle-of-the-night diaper changes.  If she hasn't pooped, its much easier to keep her settled, and will usually take about 15-20 min of rocking/shushing to get her back to sleep.  When she poops, though, the diaper change tends to make her much more awake - she'll be smiling and cooing.  It usually takes a good 30 min of rocking/shushing to get her back to sleep.

Here's the deal - my DH feels that since DD is awake, we should have play time.  He feels the 30 min of rocking/shushing is a waste of time, and that play time would be more educational/productive.  He feels if she is awake, she's awake, and we should treat her as such.  After some play time, she'll eventually get tired and go back to sleep.

My feeling is that if we do this - give her play time in the middle of the night - this will become a pattern.  That is, we are just teaching her to wake up in the night and not helping her to establish a good sleeping routine.  Rather, we should be trying to get her back to sleep, and teaching her that night time is sleep time. 

I have no proof, no scientific evidence, though, that letting her play in the night could become a habit.  While I shudder to think of my DD getting up at 3 am every morning for play time, how do I really know this will happen?  And, while the experiences of so many other Mommies weighs a ton in my book, to my DH, it is all speculation.  His counter-argument is that if we have to help our DD learn how to sleep through the night, aren't naps just teaching her to sleep in the day?  I can totally see his perspective, but my gut tells me play time at night is just not a good idea.  As you might have gathered, this is our first baby.

Would love to hear thoughts, opinions and experiences from the other Mommies out there.

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: Waking after Diaper Change - Play Time??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:22:30 am »
HELLO,
I AM NOT DOING THAT GREAT WITH MY 4 MONTH OLD IN THE BEDTIME SLEEP ROUTINE MYSELF, BUT WOULD DEFINITELY NOT EVER HAVE PLAY TIME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT THIS WILL ALMOST DEFINITELY ENCOURAGE HER TO WAKE SHE MAY EVEN WAKE MORE OFTEN, WE HAVE TO TEACH OUR LO HOW TO SLEEP AS THIS IS NOT A TOOL THEY ARE BORN WITH,YOUR LO NEEDS HER SLEEP THIS WILL PROVE TO BE VITAL AS SHE DEVELOPS.
PLAY TIME IS A STIMULANT AND THAT IS WHY BW ADVISES THAT EAT ACTIVITY AND SLEEP IN THAT ORDER WILL HELP SET THE ROUTINE BUT JUST PRIOR TO SLEEP FOR NIGHT YOU HAVE WIND DOWN TIME, I.E BATH, STORY, BED THAT WAY THEY LEARN.
HOPE I HAVE HELPED IF ONLY A LITTLE, I AM SURE SOMEONE WITH MORE EXPERIENCE WILL BE REPLY SOON AND MAYBE EXPLAIN A LITTLE BETTER, I JUST WANTED TO TRY TO HELP IF I COULD ???
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline Laykha's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Waking after Diaper Change - Play Time??
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 14:41:12 pm »
Thanks for the response.  I wholeheartedly agree with everything you are saying.  Just wish my DH did as well.  He just doesn't seem to buy in to the whole idea that we have to teach our LOs how to sleep.  His take is that kids sleep when they are tired.  And, if they aren't tired, it is a waste of time trying to get them to sleep.  I try to explain that babies need our help in learning how to sleep but we're just not seeing eye-to-eye on this.  DH feels if she's not showing the signs, she's not tired and thus doesn't need to be sleeping.

It's hard - just can't get DH to share my perspective.  And then when DD has a rough night of sleeping, don't really feel I can turn to him for support - afraid I might get an "I told you so"  ;)