Author Topic: 22mth Old Still Waking for Bottle  (Read 1139 times)

Offline lesleyc197

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:38:48 am »
My DD will be 2 at the end of July and she`s never slept a full night, she gets up for a bottle (shock, horror, gasp   :o :o ) at least once during the night, sometimes twice.    We`ve tried letting her cry for bits at a time but it`s not worked yet.    I also tried gradually cutting the milk down, i.e., 9oz, 8oz till we got to 1oz and then she just wouldnt settle.  I also tried watering the milk down and cutting down the amount, but still no result.

Does anyone have any advice what I can try next ?

Sorry, here`s her routine

How old is your child?                   She`ll be 2 at the end of July
What’s his/her daily routine?         Up between 5:30-6:30,
                                                Brekkie at 7:30
                                                Out for 9 o`clock to toddlers groups, shopping etc.
                                                Lunch at 12 o`clock
                                                Sleeps between 1 o`clock and 2 o`clock
                                                Dinner at 5 o`clock
                                                Bath at 6:30
                                                Bed at 7:30

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 07:41:40 am by lesleyc197 »

Offline lesleyc197

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:40:26 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DD will be 2 at the end of July and she`s never slept a full night, she gets up for a bottle (shock, horror, gasp     ) at least once during the night, sometimes twice.    We`ve tried letting her cry for bits at a time but it`s not worked yet.    I also tried gradually cutting the milk down, i.e., 9oz, 8oz till we got to 1oz and then she just wouldnt settle.  I also tried watering the milk down and cutting down the amount, but still no result.

Does anyone have any advice what I can try next ?

Sorry, here`s her routine

How old is your child?                   She`ll be 2 at the end of July
What’s his/her daily routine?         Up between 5:30-6:30,
                                                Brekkie at 7:30
                                                Out for 9 o`clock to toddlers groups, shopping etc.
                                                Lunch at 12 o`clock
                                                Sleeps between 1 o`clock and 2 o`clock
                                                Dinner at 5 o`clock
                                                Bath at 6:30
                                                Bed at 7:30

Offline jmartinelli

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 17:05:27 pm »
I wish I had an aswer for you, but wanted to share that my daughter does the same thing. She just turned 2 this month and wakes at night for milk at least once. I have been cutting it down to just a few drops of milk and the rest water, so I hope to switch to water soon. Good luck!

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: 22mth Old Still Waking for Bottle
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 17:18:39 pm »
For what i see in your posted schedule, she might need extra snacks cause she seems to need the bottles, as she drains them up and sometimes needs 2 of them. What about introducing a bottle before bedtime to make sure she won't need it overnight?

Once you make sure you've tanked her during daytime and if she's still waking at night, you might try walk in/walk out or toddler pd to help her go back to sleep, it might be a tough job but totally worth it.

HTH!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Adryath

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Nearly 2 and still up for bottle during the night
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 15:27:21 pm »
Maybe you could just offer her water rather than a bottle and then sit with her until she settles and goes back to sleep.  Once she realises there is no point in waking she should start to sleep through (in theroy anyhow!)  My little girl used to wakre for a breast feed in the night until I decided I had had enough and I did what I suggested above.  It took a awhile but she sleeps through now.

Good luck x

Offline Costarican mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 23:28:02 pm »
Hey....I totally feel for you!!  My son is 21 months old and we just recently decided to break the habit once and for all.  To be honest, at this age, I disagree with the night wakings being hunger related...I think it's more a matter of that bottle being a prop of some sort. 
My son goes to bed at night with his bottle...sometimes he'll fall asleep right away...sometimes he'll finish it, call me in and I'll stand next to his crib for 5-10 minutes while he falls asleep.  When we finally decided to cut the night bottles, it was tough... really tough...he cried his heart out for over two hours the first night...by the second night it was less time..and I think by night 4, he stopped waking up all together or woke up for a few minutes and inmediately went back to sleep without his bottle.  I must admit though, that he does wake up around 4:30 am every day, has a bottle and then I bring him into bed with us, to have him sleep maybe an hour more, tops!!! The way I see it, sleeping thru the night and doing a quick milk run at 4:30 is much better than waking up twice or more every night.
Give it a try....it's hell the first few days, but totally worth it in the end!! Good luck!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 00:02:46 am »
How much are you feeding your little one at each meal.  I agree that she probably needs for snacks or a little more at each meal.  Try to give her more "filling" food at dinnertime to tide her over a little longer in the evening.

HTH

Good luck!
Judy