Author Topic: 8 month nw all of a sudden.  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Shayleesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 26, 2006, 17:34:40 pm »
Hi there everyone,
I started the EASY program at 6 weeks and it seemed to be helping in every aspect except sleep.  I had tried everything with my LO but she wouldn't nap more than 20-30 minutes and she did this up to 5 times a day.  She is now 8 months, 3 weeks old and up until 7 weeks ago I didn't think anything would ever change.  But then all of a sudden she slept in the afternoon for 2 1/2 hours.  I was shocked and kept looking in on her to make sure was fine...I wasn't used to all this free time.  She had the best night sleep that night than she has had since she was born!  I was so happy that all the work had paid off and we had turned a corner.  Unforutnately, this only lasted for about 6 weeks and now, out of the blue, we are back to 5, 30 minute naps a day and waking 3-4 times at night.  What has gone wrong? Her routine hasn't changed, her food is still the same... I was getting used to feeling rested and happier than ever and now we are both tired and gumpy most of the time.  My LO has little bags under her eyes and everyone says how tired she looks.  I have tired everything sugested to me but nothing seems to be working and I fear as she gets older it is just going to get harder on us both.  Shouldn't she be sleeping no problem at this age?  She wakes from naps and at night just screaming so I know she is still tired, when she is rested she just playfully babbles until I come in and get her.

She is on solid foods three times a day followed by a 6 oz formula bottle.  She will play 1 1/2 - 2 hours after eating then has a nap for about 20 - 30 mins, plays another hour and then naps again (this goes on throughout the day).  We have her in bed by 8:00 and she is asleep by 8:30 at the latest.  She doesn't seem to have problems going to sleep but last night she was awake at 10:30 pm, 12:15 am, 3:30am and awake at 6:00 am to start the day.(She was sleeping from 8 pm to 7:30 am)  When she wakes, she is awake anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes depending on her...usually it is somewhere in between.  She seems unrestful even in sleep as she is moaning and whimpering the whole time.  We just had a check up and she is healthy otherwise.

Please, someone help!  I am so tired (as many of us are) and I fear that I am missing out on enjoying my daughter because I am so obsessed with getting us both on track so we can enjoy our time together.

Richelle
Richelle - mommy to Shaylee, wife to Kevin

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 8 month nw all of a sudden.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 17:42:11 pm »
could you pls post your daily routine in detail so we can take a closer look??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Shayleesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 22:22:50 pm »
For sure:  (it is almost the same everyday)
6:00 am - 6:15 am wakes up
change diaper and try to wake up myself
7:15 am eat breakfast
junior oatmeal, juice and fruit
7:45 - 8:30 am play quietly on floor with toys
8:30 am nap until 9:00 am (typical 30min)
9:00 am to 10:00 am we typically go for a walk where she might nap for another 20 minutes or so but that is rare, we usually just play while I try to get things done around the house if I can.
11:30 - 12:00 eat lunch - junior foods like beef spaghetti casserole with veggies and fruit for dessert with a handful of Cheerios
1:30 - nap for 30 mins
2:00 until 3:30 play together, mostly reading books and crawling around exploring the house as she just started crawling the other day
between 3:30 and 4:00 sometimes 4:15 she has another 30 min nap
5:00 dinner again junior foods (all meals followed by a 6 ox formula bottle that she sometimes eats all of and sometimes not - she is not yet on milk as 9 months is the recommended age here)
cat nap between 6:30 and 7:00 pm and then bath, stories and bed between 8 and 8:30 pm
Again, last night she woke at 10:30, 12:!5, 3:30am.

Thanks
Richelle - mommy to Shaylee, wife to Kevin

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 8 month nw all of a sudden.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 03:19:55 am »
i think that you need to extend the A time - it seems like very little A time for an 8 month old. lo is probably overtired by the night as she isn't getting good rest during the day. if you extend the A time (although do it slowly 15 min at a time or so) then she will be able to nap for longer periods as she will be tired enough kwim? her naps should def be longer than a half hr long and i think this will solve that problem, as well as help solve the night waking problem in turn.

really the catnap 'should' be dropped between 6-8 months so i def don't think that you still need it. i understand your reasoning for still having it as she isn't sleeping well all day but i think it's counterproductive in what you are trying to achieve her...esp it being soo late and right before bedtime. if you do choose to keep the catnap, def make it way earlier than what it is now, but imho i don't think you will need it at all if you extend the A times and therefore extend the naps...if by chance it works out on some days that she is napping short naps then give her an earlier bedtime as opposed to having that catnap as then it won't interfere with her night sleep. if you choose to keep that catnap, and you are successful on extending the naps, then i think with the catnap she will be getting too much day sleep and still have night wakings..just for a different reason - she will be too rested to sleep for as long and you will probably end up with early wakings on your hands.

hth! let me know if you have any question - good luck!!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005