Author Topic: Nightfeeding, swaddling,  (Read 904 times)

Offline Moongrinner

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: May 26, 2006, 18:15:48 pm »

Greetings! I am new to this site.

I have a 5 month old daughter, she just cut her first tooth yesterday  :D !

So here's my situation:

Kaya (my little girl) started sleeping through the night (8 hours, feed, dipaer change, back to sleep for another 4) at about two days old (I had to set an alarm and wake her to feed her those first couple weeks so she's eat every six hours) until she started teething at about 3 1/2 months. Then she started waking up at around 2 and again around 5 or 6. her bedtime is about 9:30. I give her a bath at nine and a massage and her PJ's and then I nurse her to sleep (this is the ONLY time I do this) and she wakes up when I burp her then I lay her down and she dozes off. I noticed she didn't really seem hungry at the 2am feeding so I cut it out-gave her a pacifier and she went back to sleep then woke at 5 and I fed her and then slept until 9. "Wow, that was easy" I thought. The next night was Daddy's turn, and Grandma had babysat while we were at work and wehen I came home Kaya was alseep/ Grandma said that she just couldn't keep her awake and she fell asleep at 7:45. Upon further probing I discovered Grandma gave her her bath and massage at 7, fed her at 7:30. I re-explained that her bath and massage were to be done BEFORE bed, like 9pm. So, even though Daddy and I had agreed on what to do to try to get Kaya to sleep through the night, he brought her to me at 10 and layed her down next to me in bed and I nursaed her and we both fell asleep (something I had "broken" her of-sleeping with Momma, but when he does this I really don;t wake up and she ends up spending the night with us in bed!) Then the next night was my turn and she WOULD NOT SLEEP. Woke up at 1 and wouldn't go back to sleep dozed on and off, waking up 8 times throughout the night and I finally fed her at 4:30. Next night same deal, only worst. Her cry sounded hungry so I fed her at 2 and she ate pretty well.

I'm thinking I should just abandon trying to get her to sleep through the night right now since Daddy and I aren't on the same page and her teeth really seem to be hurting and wheras before she seemed to be using me as a pacifier now she actually seems hungry.

also, we still swaddle her because she flayes around so much when she is tired that she wakes herself up constanlty. I think she's too old for this, her daddy disagrees. what do you think?

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Nightfeeding, swaddling,
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 18:46:19 pm »
I don't think she is too old for the swaddle.  Some babies need that into their 7/8th month.  Could she be going through a growth spurt?  If she's waking eratically at night and settling after feeding, perhpas it is her 6th month growth spurt.
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Moongrinner

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 16:39:36 pm »

Yes, I have changed my mind and agree that she is not too old to be swaddled. It could very well be a growth spurt. Also, I took up a second job and have been having a hard time pumping enough milk for her when I work both jobs in the same day. I realized the nights she seems hungry are the nights when I was concerned about not having left enough milk with Grandma or Daddy for her. On nights when I was with her all day she doesn't really seem hungry at night. I think until my supply for pumping is renewed (if it does, I certainly hope so!) I'm not going to try to get her to sleep through the night.