Author Topic: Naps are getting better, nights are not improving, sorry long...  (Read 1289 times)

Offline txmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Here are my facts:

First, we just got over several illnesses as of 10 days ago, its been a slow road to improvement, but I am getting confused about his continued night waking.  You would think that he would be doing so much better by now.  I am struggling to get him to nurse enough during the day as he is so distractable and ds#1 doesn't help much in that dept.  So I am still getting him off the night feedings. 

How old is your child? just shy of 9 mo
What’s his/her daily routine?
6:30ish : Wake
light bf and play, if won't bf immediately then bf around solid meal
within 1 hr has solid meal, fruit, 1 jar, cereal, around 4 oz serving
play time
8:45ish nap, usually 1 hr ro 1.5 hrs
10-10:30 wake, try to bf
within .5 hr will bf
playtime
11:30-12 solids meal, 1 jar fruit, 1 jar meat & veggies, some chunkier meals cooked carrots, cherrios etc
12:30-1PM nap usually 1.5 hrs, occasionally 2
2:30P wake and play
4PM getting fussy, try to give catnap.... he won't unless we are in car and then only for about 20 minutes, at home he will fuss solid for 40 minutes and I give up
4:30-5P try to bf(attempt to cluster feed)
5:30-6P solids, same as lunch
6:45 bath and bf
7:15 asleep
10:30 df(he wakes for this if no cat nap and usually if no catnap he's already woken at least 1X before)
3-4a small feeding

nap routine: go in, turn out lights, turn on air purifier(white noise), walk around room adjusting blinds, closet doors, 5 min winddown total, then lay in crib with blanket.  I am in the process of getting out of the room so I do 5-10 PD as he pulls up and work my way out of the room.  Sometimes I have to go back in at the end, but am usually able to at least get to the door. He takes about 10-15 min to get quiet.

bedtime: is just the same except I bathe and bf him just prior, sometimes he falls asleep(if no catnap) sometimes he doesn't and I do the same PDs, it takes about 20 total PDs. He bfs on both sides.

Here is my problem:  He is waking or stirring at least every hr after 10
How many wakes per night? at least 5 after 10:30 around 11:45, 1:45, 4 major wakings, with a couple in between that he just goes right back to sleep

What’s your LO like when waking at night? Wakes up crying and pulls up, at the 1:45 one he has stayed up as long as 2 hrs, not always crying but seems asleep(mantra cry), but won't completely settle, will wake every 5 min, try to pull up or sit up, then fall over and sleep for 5 more min...over and over.  I go into his room so that I don't keep dh up all night.  When he is awake for longer than 1.5 hrs he gets more and more upset until we bump into the 4 am feeding and I feed him, and he goes back to sleep, but then doesn't want to bf until 8am or 8:30 which totally throws EASY off.

Last night was the first night that he went back down at the 1:45 waking w/o "staying up" for more than an hr and it took about 20 min and 10 pds

What do you do for A time and how long is it? He is cruising and all over the place all day

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? no teeth yet, doesn't seem to be in pain

I know this is long, and I think that he is doing very well in many respects.  I  am not sure what to do, but instinct tells me to either:
1) Get him to take a reliable catnap or extend one of his other naps...perhaps move it back somehow??
or
2) Change his feeds in such a way that he can make it longer at night. Perhaps I am feeding too often during the day? But then he is so irate at night....sooooo confused as to what to do.

Any thoughts???? Thanks!

andibig

Re: Naps are getting better, nights are not improving, sorry long...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 19:05:18 pm »
hi
would it hlp if you moved his af/noon nap a little later. not sure when DD dropped catnap but i think it was around the 6-7mth mark so she was only having 2 naps. i think this may help as then he is not having such a long awake time after his nap until b/time. could possibly be he's getting over tired causing the night wakings.
when they start cruising it can wreak havoc on their sleep but usually settles down after awhile.as does teething etc etc ;D

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 20:19:09 pm »
Hi Txmommy,

I agree with andibig, I think you need to make some nap adjustments. At 9 mo (or as close as Quinnie the Pooh is) he should be on two naps, and I would also work on dropping that night feed. There's a sticky at the top of this forum on dropping night feeds, I would suggest checking that out. Also, a dreamfeed can cause wakings after about 7 mo. so you might consider dropping that as well.

For the nap adjustments, I would shoot for a routine like this:

6:30ish : Wake
light bf and play, if won't bf immediately then bf around solid meal
within 1 hr has solid meal, fruit, 1 jar, cereal, around 4 oz serving
play time
9:00/9:15ish nap, usually 1 hr to 1.5 hrs
10:30-10:45 wake, try to bf
within .5 hr will bf
playtime
12:00 solids meal, 1 jar fruit, 1 jar meat & veggies, some chunkier meals cooked carrots, cherrios etc
1:00ish nap usually 1.5 hrs, occasionally 2
2:30/3 P wake and play
3:30-5P bf
5:30-6P solids, same as lunch
6:45 bath and bf
7:15 asleep
10:30 df ???
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline txmommy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:21:47 am »
Ok, so I am trying to eliminate the df by gradual reduction of minutes.  Last night he was satisfied w/ just one boob :)! Also, another question, do I extend his naps by doing PD's until the time he should wake up? Up to 40 minutes...or does that change with age as well?  He slept better last night and as a result woke up 30 min early....ugh.  SO, tonight I just let him go about 20 minutes later on bedtime and so far he's doing well. 

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 03:50:26 am »
Glad to hear that you're seeing some improvements!  You could do PD for naps, or try wake to sleep. Or try both and see which works better.
Jessica

Offline txmommy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 03:09:55 am »
Well, things were getting better now they are back to very bad.  He was falling asleep on his own completely for naps as well as bedtime with v.few PD's, like 4-5 though still having many night wakings, but now he seems afraid of the bed and at least once a night he is up for up to 2 hours.  I think it must be teething.....he just just can't stay asleep even when he is falling over.

He woke up this morning at 4:45 and I tried PD's until 5:45 when I gave up entirely and he woke up for the day, he took a 45 min nap at 9am and then 1 hr nap at 12:30 and another nap in car from 4-5p, bed was at 6:45 which took over 45 minutes for him to settle, but he went down on his own but as we speak he is up for the 4th time and will not go back to sleep....

My husband is going out to get more tylenol in hopes that it will help. Either he is in pain or I am doing something completely wrong...

Sorry to rant, I am just so frustrated

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 16:55:31 pm »
Sorry to hear that!  :-\  Have you tried wake to sleep instead of the PD? Although if it is teething that's waking him that might only get you so far. I don't think you're doing anything wrong since you saw improvement already.
Jessica