Author Topic: Waking 1/2-1 hour after geing put down for night  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Renee'sMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Waking 1/2-1 hour after geing put down for night
« on: May 27, 2006, 00:39:38 am »
My lo is 5 1/2 months.  Her routine is like this:

E  7am
bath at 8am
S 9am-10:30am
E 11am
S 1-2:30pm
E 3pm
S 5-5:30pm
E 6pm ( and sometimes a clusterfeed at 7pm If I don't think she took enough at 6pm)
S 7:30pm
E 10:30pm
E 2am

So she takes 3 naps, the first 2 usually 1.5 hours and the last .5hours.  Still trying to settle a bedtime routine since we moved bathtime to the mornings.  She was reeeaaly fussy at night going to bed, so took out bath thinking is was riling her to much.  It is better getting her to sleep at night now. I breastfeed. She has started taking a soother to go to sleep....helps calm the crying to get her to settle down.

The last few nights she has been waking 1/2-1 hour after being put down for the night.  It has taken up to an hour to get her back to sleep.  The same has been happening  during the night.  She has been waking at 1am...last night I did sh/pat for an hour before I fed her and got her back to sleep.  She then slept right thru til morning. But the night before, I did feed her at 1am because she didn't go down at 7:30---took us till 9:30!!! So, I thought she might be hungry from the extra exertion. She then woke at 3:30am and it took us til 5am to get her back to sleep!!!  Whew!!  I hope this all makes sense!!

Is this a growth spurt time?  Should I be considering starting her on cereal and solids?  She can sit up fairly well on her own.  We have her 'play' with her spoon when we eat.
Cheryl
London, ON

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Waking 1/2-1 hour after geing put down for night
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 03:44:12 am »
Try putting her down 1/2 an hour earlier and see if that makes a difference. It looks like she's up to long from her last waking and is waking do to being overtired.
Maybe try feeding closer to 6:30, which is 3.5 hours after her last feed, then bed at 7 then dreamfeed at 10:30. If she wakes at 1:30 feed her, then try to settle her for any other wakings.
It does sound like the start of a growth spurt, so see if you can try and maybe get her to take more per feeding.
Hold off on solids if you can, they wont make her sleep longer anyway, and you've done really well without it so far. Solids can really mess with things at times so try to wait a bit longer.

HTH

Kimberly

Offline UNCMomma

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • Love my girls!!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 16:01:24 pm »
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, and figured out it was from being overtired, so I think the bedtime moved up a little is a great idea.  It worked for us.

Another point, if she DOES wake up shortly after going to sleep, if I SPRINT up the stairs at her first cry and pop the soother back in her mouth before she really awakens, she goes right back to sleep and doesn't wake anymore.  I know this goes against waiting to see if the baby is really awake but when I did this it seemed like she worked herself up and it would take us 2 hours to get her back to sleep!

I only have to do this occassionally, b/c the earlier bedtime solves the problem more than anything!  Good luck!  :)

Amanda 

Offline Renee'sMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 13:17:03 pm »
Try putting her down 1/2 an hour earlier and see if that makes a difference. It looks like she's up to long from her last waking and is waking do to being overtired.

To explain the last part of day a bit better---
At 5pm I go for a 30-45minute  walk...she usually sleeps the whole time. By the time we get back and into the house etc., it's 6pm so I feed her.  It usually only takes about 15 mintues to feed her.  She then goes to daddy who visits with her a bit, and starts bedtime stuff at about 6:45.  He changes diaper, puts on jammies, sits and reads book (sometimes she is too fussy for this), then starts singing, puts in crib on her side, soother in mouth, teddy in arms and pats her back.  Usually out with little fuss by 7:15pm. 

She used to sleep right through to aobut 10:30pm.  It's only been the last week, week and a half this has been happening.  Even though she is almost 6 months, she is only about 13 lbs. (yeah, she's a little thing!!  :) )

I started her on  a little cereal on the weekend.  She is taking it fine! When I had tried a while back (looong story involving well-meaning relatives, I'm sure all can relate! ;D) she always spat it out.  She is eating this pretty well.  She only takes about 1-2 teaspoons.

if I SPRINT up the stairs at her first cry and pop the soother back in her mouth before she really awakens, she goes right back to sleep and doesn't wake anymore.

DH does go in like this actually when she first stirs and starts crying, usually anywhere around 8:15-8:45pm.  And yes, she does settle back rather quickly.  But she then wakes again around 9:30pm. 

Last night we were going to try the w2s to see if that would help.  So at 8:15, we were heading in to try it....she woke crying as we neared the door!!! :(  So we didn't get that to work last night!!  Tonight we will try it at 8pm.

If you still suggest to move back bedtime, how would you suggest changing the bedtime routine?  She goes down with little fuss now---it's just that she doesn't stay asleep.  It has been over a week, so can it still be a growth spurt issue?

Cheryl
London, ON

Offline Renee'sMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 01:14:12 am »
So we were going to try w2s at 8pm tonight...she woke at 7:50pm!!! :o :o :o  It's like she knows or something!!  She has also woken at 8:35 and 9.  THREE times tonight!!! 
She's not hungry, diaper is fine, even had a BM today, so can't be uncomfortable with that....WHAT IS GOING ON???!!! :o ??? :o ??? :o ???
Cheryl
London, ON

Offline UNCMomma

• Love my girls!!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 15:33:27 pm »
I surely don't know.  That is very frustrating...  Maybe you should try to let her 'resettle' herself instead of rushing in to her, which could backfire and get her more 'awake' than you want her to be, but maybe it could be worth a try!  I hope the paci is not becoming too much of a prop that she is depending on to get back to sleep- do you put her down with it and does it fall out, do you think that's why she's waking??  Just some thoughts, it's definetly puzzling.

Amanda

Offline Renee'sMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 17:01:36 pm »
Not sure what is happening.
Since we know that the 1am waking is more of a habit, we decided to do the w2s then.  So dh went in at 12am...she woke as he came in the door, opened her eyes and closed them again.  She still woke at 12:45am.  We will do agian tonight.
So last night she woke at 4:30 am!!!  I gave her some teething gel and she went right back to sleep.  Her teeth must be moving alot or something---still don't see any coming thru.
She went down for her nap at 9am just fine.  Heard her crying at 9:25am, but sounded like she put herself back to sleep.  At 9:35am I hear her crying again.  So I went in and she's all smiles and raspberries ready for the day!  She just went back down now at 1pm, which is her regular afternoon nap time.  We'll see how long she sleeps this aft.
My friend, who's son is 3 months older, said that the same thing happened at around 6 months---waking and sleeping at crazy times.  Looking like it is just a growth issue, I guess, that just needs to be worked thru.
Cheryl
London, ON

Offline UNCMomma

• Love my girls!!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 17:18:46 pm »
Weird.  Who knows, these babies definetly keep us guessing!!  My 3 1/2 month old has the wackiest schedule right now... I'm trying to work her towards the naps around 9, 1, and the catnap but she refuses to take a long nap around 9.  She ends up with a short one and having to go back down by 11 or 11:30.  Oh well, hopefully we'll get there soon!  Hang in there, I hope it is a growth issue and she will work her way out of it soon!  Good luck!!  :)

Amanda