Author Topic: 4 month old 2-4am wakings  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Arisandmarion

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 27, 2006, 06:13:46 am »
We have been on the 4 hour EASY program for about 11 days now. My little one is 4 and a half months and she used to eat a lot at night, snacking as well as in the day with irregular naps etc. but she used to go to bed around 7pm and get up around 7am on her own - even when she woke up numerous times at night she would eat a little (or a lot) without opening her eyes and go back to sleep.
SHe is now taking 3 naps a day, eating regularly and usually 1-2 naps of up to 1.5 hours (usually I have to help her in the middle after 45 minutes) but every night for the last few nights she wakes up in between 3-4am and cries - she wants to go back to sleep and I don't think it is hunger because she has her dreamfeed around 10:30-11pm and in the morning she eats only a little when she first wakes up but needs to be awake for 30-40 mintues and then eats 4-5 ounces. She is breastfeed (but through the bottle so she eats fast and I know how much.)
Sometimes it takes her 1-2 hours to get her back to sleep! She tries so hard and we both get so frustrated!! Any suggestions? (Tries w2s lastnight but she woke up instead and was up for 2 hours)
Thanks for your help!! 

Offline lauraj79

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 08:25:53 am »
hiya
i wonder if its an age thing???? charlie is 20 weeks and we have exactly the same, he is on 4 hour EASY and self soothes fine. bed at 7pm, df at 10-11pm and ben waking at 3-4 am, been doing w2s last 3 nights, last night i set my alarm at 3 am but he woke at 2 am ??? would only settle with milk, 2 oz!!!then again at 5 am and had 1 oz :o then slept ill 6.45 when he is singing in his cot and is happy in there a good 20 mins before dd goes in and plays with him. i really hope its a phase.  no magic solution, sorry but you arent alone!!

Offline Arisandmarion

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 14:46:47 pm »
Thanks for letting me know - and please keep me updated on your situation too!

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: 4 month old 2-4am wakings
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 13:47:22 pm »
a few questions for you :)

When she first wakes up how is she? does she cry, babble, fuss?
how long after she wakes do you feed her?
Does she show signs of eating more during the day? possible growth spurt?
Does she show signs of teething?
What new skills has she learned  or is she working on?
Kimberly

Offline Arisandmarion

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 04:30:58 am »
When she first wakes up how is she? does she cry, babble, fuss?
She squirms alot trying to go back to sleep and eventually she cries out of frustration becuase she can't sleep - she also roots around but I am sure it is not from hunger because last night I didn't give her the DF but waited until she woke of hunger which was at 12 and she slept til 4am (instead of 2 or 3) but still took 1 hour before she could go back to sleep - also when she is hungry she usually cries and spits out her pacifier, sometimes she doesn't cry and just wakes up and after about 30 minutes starts to cry out after cooing etc.
how long after she wakes do you feed her?
I don't feed her to put her back to sleep because in the past when she woke up at this time she would only eat 1-2 ounces and still take an hour top put down - so I just stopped feeding her at that time
I feed her at 7am (and once when she woke at 5:30 I feed her before putting her back) but usually she wants to be awake for 30-40 minutes before she eats much in the morning anyways
Does she show signs of eating more during the day? possible growth spurt?
She has since we put her on the program - she stopped snacking and eats 3-6 ounces per feed, lately she has been eating even more - but she was doing this waking even before we put her on the program, also the first few nights I watched to see how much she would eat at night and when she was hungry - it doesn't seem to be of hunger
Does she show signs of teething?
For a few days she seemed really uncomforatble about 2 weeks ago but that has stopped (they must have gone back in)
What new skills has she learned  or is she working on?
When we put her on her tummy she tries to crawl and putting her down at night she has to have us hold her legs because they kick alot, but lately she just learned to scream - I don't see other developmental things

Thank you for getting back to me!