Author Topic: 14 month old waking during night  (Read 1107 times)

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
14 month old waking during night
« on: May 27, 2006, 09:04:29 am »
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The past few nights, my 14 month old ds has woken up during the night (the first night at 2am, and at 12.30am for the next few nights).

He sounds as if he's crying, but when I go through to his room, he just seems to be shouting and groaning. He will not settle himself back to sleep.

The two nights that I lifted him from his cot, he was instantly wide awake, pointing at things, and wanting to play.

Is this a separation anxiety thing? If so, could anyone suggest what we do to get through this stage (and how long might it last?)

Thanks everyone!

x

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: 14 month old waking during night
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 03:37:16 am »
have you tried just gently placing your hand on him rather then picking him up? Does he have a toy or paci or something he uses for comfort?
Kimberly

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 18:47:54 pm »
Could it be teeth? Or coming down with something? Or sometimes my lo does this if he is overtired going from one sleep phase to the next at about 11.30pm ( roughly 3 - 4 hours after going to bed).

I too would recommend just placing a hand on back to resettle for a few minutes.

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 18:36:13 pm »
Just a question - what does his day sleep/routine look like.  When my son started to do this we were on our way from 2-1 naps.  If you post his daily routine that might give a better idea of what's happening but from what I have read on this website and what we went through it might be teeth/overtired/too much day sleep/nap time changing times/walking ???  Anyone of those can change the night sleep.  Can you think of anything?

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 09:59:17 am »
Thanks!
I've not had access to a PC for a few days, hence the delay in replying.

The good news is, he is sleeping through the night again! Hurray - I think the divorce courts might have been next, if it had carried on for much longer  ;)

Alyssa1, i think you are right. he has suddenly started to need less sleep during the day. and we started putting him down half an hour earlier at night, and it seems to have done the trick.

Harrisonsmummy, it tended to happen anywhere between 4 and 6 hours after going to bed. again, i think he was overtired, and needing his bed earlier. the problem was, NOTHING would settle him. he just wailed and wailed. even cuddles stopped working. was horrendous!

Thanks, both of you.

x