Author Topic: When is spinach OK?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Moongrinner

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: May 27, 2006, 16:55:18 pm »

Greetings! ;D

I am wondering when it would be OK to introduce spinach? (cooked and blended) I know iron is important for infants becasue maternal iron stores run out around 6 months, and I know many cereals are fortified with iron, but I am just all about obtaining nutrients from the foods they naturally reside in as much as possible. any suggestions?

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 18:48:37 pm »
Hi!

I've been giving spinach since 7 months.  I think Super Baby Food said to wait until 8 months but we've had no problems.  Keep in mind though that if you're looking for iron, spinach is packed with it but the iron passes through baby's systems undigested.  So they get very little iron from spinach.  Is your LO 6 months? 

Sarah

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Moongrinner

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 16:31:02 pm »
She is 5 months. she will be 6 months on June 20th. I have been giving her brown rice cereal fortified with iron lately.

Offline julu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 17:03:03 pm »
The National Childbirth Trust "First foods and weaning" book gives a reciepe for Spinach puree with nutmeg. It reccomends it as a second stage food, from about 6 1/2 months.  The receipe is 100g of young spinach leaves,( stalks removed), 1 tsp margarine or butter, pinch of grated nutmeg, milk as needed.  Steam, microwave or boil the spinach until tender. Drain careflluy and squeeze out any excess moisture.  Add the marg or butter and the nutmeg and puree, adding a little of your baby's usual milk to obtain the required consistency.  I've made this for my baby who is now 7 months and she's enjoyed it.  It can be frozen and used when needed. I've also then mixed it with other veggies e.g carrot, sweet potato when i've defrosted it.