Author Topic: Gassy baby  (Read 5926 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
Gassy baby
« on: May 27, 2006, 22:44:59 pm »
I have a 5 month old who has been very gassy from the get go. We've tried just about everything you can imagine to help the problem. Right now he's on Enfamil Gentlease (it has helped quite a bit) formula, we use Mylicon drops with every bottle, and Gripe Water with every bottle as well. Still right before a poo and about 2 hours afterwards he has such intense gas pains that it makes him scream. If it happens to be during the night, then he will wake every 15 minutes or so with a scream and won't be able to sleep on his back. We already have a wedge in his crib because he also has reflux, but that isn't even enough elevation, so we will put him in the boppy. Usually after an 60-90 minutes or so int he boppy we will hear him finally pass the gas after which time he can sleep peacefully.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a super gassy baby and knows of other ways to help them. Will it get better with time? I'm almost terrified to start solids as I know a lot of those foods will make gas worse! We started cereal last week, and due to my error in giving him too much on the first day, he spent 2 days in intense gas pain afterwards.  :o Now, based on ped advice, we're taking a few days break before we start again VERY slowly. Oh, we're also on watered down prune juice because the Gentlease makes him constipated - which also makes him gassy!  ::)
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Gassy baby
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 23:06:35 pm »
I'm not really sure what else you can do, but the gas will get better with time. I'd actually recomend stopping cereal all together untill 6 months because it will make it worse, after 6 months his digestive track will be more mature and better able to digest the cereal. So try holding off untill then.
Also when you use the bobby are you leaveing him alone with it? If you are make sure while he's in that you watch him, he's at the age where he's going to be rolling, and when in the bobby, he may roll into it and be unable to get out. Bobbies are not safe for sleeping.
Kimberly