Author Topic: Why does 12-mos-old scream and scream???  (Read 4240 times)

Offline cashar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Why does 12-mos-old scream and scream???
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 03:17:14 am »
Ann

It sounds like you have a plan, great, it always seems like a step in the right direction when you know how you will handle the wake ups. Let me know how it goes?

The ear plugs are a good idea Juliet, my dh used to wear them sometimes. We are not failures for having lo's who need us at night. It is hard though when others seem to have angel babies. I now concentrate on my own situation and try not to think about others. I am doing what is best for my family.

I believe persistance pays off and things settle back in time. It took a good couple of frustrating months but with my fingers firmly crossed things are improving.

Cas

Offline ambersmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 12:05:47 pm »
I had a BAD night with dd, we just don't know what to do. I'm too tired to write about it now, am going to rest while she naps. I'm 9 weeks pg and just wondering what on earth I've done as I can't even handle one lo. Just wanted to tell someone how I'm feeling. Hope you had better nights than me. ;)

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 13:22:31 pm »
Juliet....

HUGS to you sweetie! I know how exhausted you feel just dealing w/ a little one not sleeping (much less being pregnant at the same time!)  I hope things smooth out for you!  Can you post your schedule and maybe some of us can give you some suggestions that may help?

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 12:10:28 pm »
Dear Shelliz,
                  thanks for you kind words. DD slept through last night, so am feeling better. I'm not sleeping well anyway, pregnancy related I think, but that isn't her fault!

I don't think it is a shedule problem, she is on one nap a day after lunch, she sleeps 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Her bedtime is always 7 pm and we have the same routine every night. We thought it was to do with an allgery (to what we don't know - dr isn't being too much help) that causes a runny/congested nose. But i'm not sure that is it. We wondered if it was teething, but apparently not if she no signs of it in the day. Could she get nightmares at her age?

thanks for listening!
juliet

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 13:22:31 pm »
Juliet, I do think that night terrors can start at this age (anyone else know of this?) based on what I've read. Though I'm not sure that's the same thing as a nightmare; sounds like with terrors they aren't even really awake and you should just let them work through their screaming and flinging themselves. No expert here.

I decided a few nights ago that I AM going to deal with this. A juice bottle isn't even really helping, not if it takes 30+min, and 3-7tries of laying him in his crib hoping he doesn't start screaming b/c he's not completely asleep. Not easy falling asleep after all that.

He hasn't been much improved these past 3 nights, but at least I feel a little more in control of the situation. We have indeed had to take Luca out of his bedroom every night at least once to calm him down. But at least he's ultimately fallen asleep each night in his crib, on his belly (new for him) rather than on the bottle. So, I'm happy.

(Juliet, hang in there!!)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 13:45:03 pm by sadiebean »

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 08:05:18 am »
SandieBean,
                  thanks for your kind words, I don't think it is as extreme as night terrors, as what I was told about them they are horrific, but I want rule that out. Amber slept through the night last night, that's 2 nights in a row. She took ages to go to sleep, so much for 7pm bedtime, but once we got there....that was it until 7am! I'm so thrilled! ;D don't know why, we didn't do anything differently, but I'm not complaining.

Amber has slept on her belly since she could roll herself over and i think finds it more comforting, hope things improve for you soon. How long have things been like this for you?

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 15:48:08 pm »
Fantastic that she slept thru!! Luca did as well last night, my fingers are tightly crossed!

It's been bad for just under a month now, with the worst being the past 2-3 weeks. I do think he's getting used to settling on his belly. He rolls back and forth, side to side, just doesn't want to roll onto his back, but I know he can physically... seems to feel like he's falling backward, little Luca quirk. But he doesn't like being on his back anyway.

Let me know how things progress over the next few days for you. Hopefully you are getting a chance to rest!

Offline Southernbelle

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Mom to three beautiful kids!
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 20:55:39 pm »
Ambersmum,  I know that a common cause of chronic congestion in kids is an allergy to milk.  Me and my two siblings are all allergic to milk and if we stay away from it, the congestion goes away.  Also, my best friend had a child who had chronic ear infections and sinus problems.  She switched him to soy and the problem got much better.  Is your lo on dairy products?  It could definitely cause sleep interruptions....I hate trying to sleep with congestion too.  Most people assume that a milk allergy is only tummy related, but it also can cause excess mucous.  HTH!
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 14:14:07 pm »
dd only woke once last night and quickly settled herself, so another success! Hope all was well with you SAndiebean.

Thanks for milk info, gray&ella'smommy, we did take her off milk for 2 weeks but it didn't seem to help the mucus situation.

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 17:37:18 pm »
Yay for you!
For us, only one wake up as well, and it took less than 10min of crying (and shh/patting) for him to resettle!  :D

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 09:26:01 am »
Amber was awake 3 times in the night, I think it is too hot for her at the moment. But she settled herself each time.

Hope you had another good night.

love ju

Offline LovemyBabygirls

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 15:06:13 pm »
Somewhere in this madness, it is comforting to know that other moms are going through similar things.  This is my first post on the site.  I have been struggling with my sleepless lo for almost 10 months.  I can count on one hand the number of times she has slept more than 6 hrs.
She is a great baby!  Little crying during the day.  Great with routine.  Sleeps well during nap time.  Putting this baby down to sleep is not the problem it is keeping her asleep. 
I have tried to justify in my mind over and over all the different excuses we have and reasons she is not sleeping....teething....crawling.....colds.....etc...but it is always the same results:  Bed at 8pm.......wake at 1 to usually 4....
We have tried feeding....we have tried PU/PD we have tried crying...motrin...Benadryl....
Is it possible that there are some babies that just do not sleep??????My mother in law says it is the red hair...lol

I am going back to work in 5 weeks.....I am trying to enjoy these last weeks, but the real truth is that have never been so tired in my life, and it is about to get worse....

We want to go on vacation before I go back to work but can't because then no one will get any sleep.....
My 5 year old was the best sleeper from 6 weeks, maybe I am just paying the price....

Another diaper to change!

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 16:55:13 pm »
Just checking in to see how everyone is making out? Any progress??

Luca is doing much better, so glad we decided to address it. For several bedtimes and wakeups I needed to sit on the floor outside his crib

Ha! Just as I was writing that sentence, he started crying midnap and I had to go by his crib. All better, back to sleep.

But no more screaming at night. Took 2-3 nights for that to end, but well worth it. Now I don't even take him out of his crib, and past 2 nights he's slept thru till his 5-6am bottle.

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006, 03:23:27 am »
Lovemybabygirls.....

How old is your baby? I know 8:00 pm is pretty late for SOME babies. Sometimes an earlier bedtime helps with night wakings. Just a thought. Could you post your baby girl's routine (day and night). If you are looking to get rid of the night wakings...this website has GREAT advice!

P.S. My daughter has reddish hair too! I bet we can both prove our mother-in-laws wrong about their sleep issues!  ;D ;D

Welcome!

Shelby

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 18:41:43 pm »
Hi Sadie,
             Glad things are improving for you! We are doing better too, Amber is sleeping through most nights, only woke once in the past week. Her nose is clearer now, no idea why after 6 months  of congestion, but I'm not complaining. She is also going to sleep better at bedtime, think it may have helped to have a longer wind down. even her nap is now usually 2 hours without waking up part way through. She was up for 1 hour in the night last night, but that is the first time in quite a few days.
Long may it continue for Amber and Luca both ;D