Author Topic: Dreaming of a full night's sleep....  (Read 1017 times)

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
« on: May 28, 2006, 07:58:56 am »
My baby is almost 4 months old and weighs in at 18lbs (birth weight 9lbs 15oz) - always been a big boy!  Was sleeping 9-10 hours a night until a couple of weeks ago and is now waking once a night at different times for an 8oz bottle, scoffing the lot in 15 mins.  He is also getting 4 8oz bottles during the day every four hours (last one just before bedtime) and has suffered from reflux since 5 weeks (but that seems under control).  Has started solids on hv's advice and so he also gets two meals in addition to his milk.  He sleeps slightly longer in total (yes, I know I'm lucky, honestly) but he still can't skip that darned night feed - has anyone any suggestions or is it a case of riding it out until he has the whole solids thing worked out? 

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: Dreaming of a full night's sleep....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 08:38:12 am »
Hi there

I am a mommy to a big boy too  -  at 16 weeks he was 19lb 2oz (at birth only 7lb 4oz!).

What you are feeding your LO in the day sounds fine to me - I am not an expert on baby feeding but can speak from experience with what happened with Will - and he was getting pretty much the same at that age.

I am of the mind that if a baby wakes up and is obviously hungry in the night - and drinks the milk you give him, then he needs it.. and if a baby needs food he should be given it. I think I was still feeding Will once in the night at that age - at about 2am. As he grew older he soon stopped waking as often for the feed and finally he stopped waking for it at all. So if I were you I would see it as something that you ride out. It may be he needs all those extra calories as he's going through a growth spurt at the moment - which can cause them to start waking hungry in the night when they previously didn't.

Other people on here are much more knowledgeable than me about feeding and waking, they might be able to help more  - just wanted to share my experience with you xxx

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 09:26:27 am »
Have you tried giving a dreamfeed at around 10/10.30pm? Introducing solids isn't always the answer to getting a baby to sleep through the night sorry to say.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 11:28:01 am »
I totally agree - when I began solids with William it had little or no impact upon his sleeping... he just "grew out of" his night feed - so to speak.

H xx