Author Topic: Joining Y'all in the Trenches -- Teething  (Read 892 times)

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Joining Y'all in the Trenches -- Teething
« on: May 29, 2006, 14:48:56 pm »
Hi ladies,

I know that in the grand scheme of night wakings I probably don't have much to complain about, but after three nights of multiple wakings due to teething (I HOPE) and on top of a stinking cold that has knocked me for six, I'm really at the end of my rope.

DS' first four teeth came in from mid-Jan till end of Feb, and he seemed to be affected most by them coming up from the jaw. At the time I didn't realize he was teething  :-[ :-[ :-[ And thought he was just hungry, so I'd feed him twice a night. This would soothe him and he'd go back to sleep. Once I realized it had been teething, we worked on eliminating the night feedings with mostly success, down to one occasional one if the day had been a particularly bad eating day.

For the past three days, we think some molars have been coming through. All the symptoms of teething are there, and he's waking five or six times a night crying. Most of these I can settle him back down with tabs and oragel. On a couple of occasions each night however, he's got so fraught that I've offered him a feed, he's taken it, and settled back down.

I guess I'm really wondering what Tracy thought of comfort nursing. I feel bad trying to settle him with pu/pd when he's obviously in pain, and I know that I can unwind an soothe him with nursing. On the other hand, I don't want to undo all of my hard work at eliminating the night feeds. I personally don't see anything wrong with comfort nursing, but am loathe to start a habit that I will have to break. In addition, if I'm in for a six week stint, I don't know... But at least if I know I'm just in for a 10 minute feed twice a night, that's a lot easier than the current 60-90 minute awake periods that we have.

What have you b/f moms/mums done with teethers?

Of course the nine month growth spurt is almost upon us too...

Thanks for any advice,

Katy
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 14:53:17 pm by katriona »

Offline nial

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Joining Y'all in the Trenches -- Teething
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:41:26 am »
no help to you but i

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Re: Joining Y'all in the Trenches -- Teething
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 04:00:21 am »
Very good questions. Gage has 2 teeth, but we only had 2 bad nights. I did feed him :-[ and luckily we were okay. What about offering warm water or something to suck on? Gage likes to chew on soother that is all rubber (they sell them at walmart). I have never tried at night though. What have you been giving for pain? I gave Gage tylenol and teething tablets, which seemed to help. Sorry I cant offer more advice.