Author Topic: Weaning to cow's milk  (Read 1394 times)

Offline ginger

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 29, 2006, 16:13:28 pm »
Hi everyone.  My little one is 11 months old and is not so interested in BF (max 3 per day).  I am feeling ready to wean so for the past week I've ommitted her mid-day BF and she just BF in the morning and before dinner.  The problem is, she does not like cow's milk.  I don't give her a bottle because she just plays with it like a toy, so I offer it in a cup and she takes 1 or 2 sips and then just spits it out.  She loves drinking water from a cup so she drinks that at lunch and throughout the day.  She eats 100 mL of yogurt per day and cheese on some days.
I am just concerned that she is not getting enough milk and if she doesn't drink milk, what foods other than yogurt and cheese can she make up the difference with?  She is great solids eater, 3 meals a day and snacks, loves all foods, just not milk.....
How much milk should an 11 month old consume?

Thanks,

Ginger

Offline Katie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 99
    • Franzone Family Blog
Re: Weaning to cow's milk
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 00:00:53 am »
Hi,

my dd did this too... she hated milk but my health nurse said if she was eating enough cheese and yoghurt and other dairy products it was ok... but my dd did this at 12 months when she dropped all her bottles... could you try a toddler formula (here is australia they are stage 3) you can get vanilla ones my friend used this with all her dd's and they loved it... i would just put it in a cup! don't know if any of this will help... just ideas

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:34:03 am »
vanilla formula?? what a brilliant idea!! i have looked through all the formulas they have available in canada and never saw any such thing.. :-\ i too am having major hurdles in weaning to cow's milk..or formula for that matter and my dd ONLY wants to nurse - i just wanted to be able to cut out the midday nursing and can't seem to be able to convince her to take something else. :-\  i feel your pain ginger!!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline ginger

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 02:48:04 am »
thank you both for your replies.  I too am from Canada and have not seen Vanilla flavoured formula.  Will keep on trying.........

Offline teezee

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 03:03:32 am »
someone recently suggested trying rebeana?? i never heard of it or saw it before but she said it's avail in grocery stores and is like fruit juices, natural and sweet - haven't been to the store since but will be looking for it myself! i have been pureeing fruit (mostly strawberries) and adding it to the milk-  for the first few days it worked but the last few days haven't even gotten a sip out of her  :-\  why is it that these bf babies wanna be so tough on us?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline twoboys

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Living in Alberta, Canada - EH!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 03:54:33 am »
Hi everyone.  When my son turned 1 year old, we started the weaning process as well.  But, for the first little bit we put him on Enfagrow 12+ just to make sure that he was getting all his vitamins, calcium, etc.  It is available in Canada and I believe it is vanilla flavoured (from what my hubby and I remember). 

Definately try that.  You can get it in powder form and in liquid.

Good Luck....

Stacey

Offline teezee

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 04:00:15 am »
hope this is helpful to you ginger..as for my dd - i have been getting different formulas from the u.s (gentlease)as she has a very sensitive reflux belly and isn't able to handle 'normal' formulas without getting extremely gassy/constipated (that is the few times she took it before all this..which is why i didn't give her formula more often to get her used to it..)..so anyway, thanks for the suggestion - maybe i will try it though - just been wasting so much money on so many formulas this last bit - such a shame when she can't / won't take it... :-\  :-\
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline FutureMKD@surfmk.com

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 16:12:59 pm »
My ped. rec. giving 16oz of milk plus other dairy.  H2O is great.  My little guy loves cow's milk because he was used to getting "treats" from me.  Whenever I was drinking water, lemonade, or juice and he was in my arms, i would give him a sip.  He learned to want what I had.  So, when it was time for Cow's milk, I did the same and now he thinks its great.  Have you tried a soy milk?  I haven't but I've been told that they are similar nutritionaly and fortified with the vitamins.  The toddler formulas are so pricy and the first ingredient it corn syrup.