Author Topic: E.A.S.Y and night time routine  (Read 1080 times)

Offline moomin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 29, 2006, 20:30:43 pm »
Hi everyone Im new to this and need a little help!

Have been reading everybody's routines and have a few questions for those of you who have been at this for a while.

My DS is a almost 8 weeks old and we've been in a routine since he came home really and it goes something like this.

Eats roughly every 3hrs @ 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm then @ 5.30pm and last bottle @ 7pm followed by DF @ 10pm
Activity usually takes place before a feed with a nappy change, then feed then some more activity -this can range from 0-30mins depending on his cues.
Sleep is roughly 1hr to 2hrs 3 times a day then a 45min nap after the 4pm feed until about 5.15pm then play, bath, massage and bed.

Baby seems to be doing well bar the end of the day - he's absolutely exhausted by the time we put him to bed and he fusses and screams and most of the time has to be held until he falls asleep.  Ive tried a slightly earlier bedtime but that doesn't seem to help.  Anyone got any suggestions?  Am I doing something wrong?  Should I let him sleep a little bit longer after the 4pm feed and if I do, will this affect his night time - is out for the count for the DF @ 10pm and wakes once during the night, then up for 7am.  Thanks for any help

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
Re: E.A.S.Y and night time routine
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 01:12:52 am »
hi there, from what i'm seeing, he is way to tired and to little to go from 4pm till 7pm bedtime, i would suggest to give him a catnap, right before the bath.  Here an example of what i used to do with my DS when he was that age:

7:30 wake up and bottle
8:00 activity
8:40 sleep
10:30 bottle
11:00 activity
11:30 sleep
1:30 bottle
2:00 activity
2:30 sleep
4:30 bottle
5:00 activity
5:30 catnap
7:00 bath and massage
7:30 bottle and book
8:00 bedtime
11pm DF

at this age he usually woke between 4-5ish am to feed.

so i do think your LO is to tired from to much activity in the afternoon. Hope this helps

Offline moomin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:37:38 am »
Thanks for the advice.  So after his 4pm bottle and a bit of activity, I should let him nap for longer (normally only has about 45mins here) say an hour and a bit and then feed him enough to get him thru his bath until his 7pm feed then bed? This wont then mean he'll be awake later in the evening because he's had too much sleep?

Am loving the routine of it all and he's def. settling better, all naps are now taken in his moses basket when we're at home and the only time we have any real trouble as I say is in the evening.

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
Re: E.A.S.Y and night time routine
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 11:50:57 am »
well i would try to keep him awake after the 4pm feed, and put him to bed 45min to an hour right before the bath. Because if he is awake from 5:15ish till 7 or 7:30 this might be to much stimulation right before bedtime, so its better to have the catnap a bit later, so he will be relaxed for the bath. you don't need him to nap longer ('cause my DS has allways been a very good napper, most babies don't need that much sleep) just a bit later.