Author Topic: 10 month old won't sleep  (Read 1609 times)

Offline CCJay

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 29, 2006, 21:38:46 pm »
Please, please help.10 month old DS has stopped sleeping. He always went down to bed at 8pm. Lately it could be up to 9 o' clock. He would sleep through until 6/6.30 then take a bottle and sleep til 7.30/8. 2 weeks ago he got a very nasty tummy bug which lasted a whole week. He's been better for a week now but his sleep is very bad. He wakes up screaming during the night and nothing will settle him but a bottle. I left this happen as I thought he was catching up but now it seems to be becoming a habit. What's worse is that he doesn 't want to go down to bed at night now either. He's still up as I rite this and it's 10.30. I'm at my wits end as I have to get up for work at 7.30 after getting very little sleep. His routine is back to normal and he's eating and drinking plenty throughout the day. He never really was good for sleeping during the day. 2 naps varying in length from 20 mins to 45 mins. This is probably very little but he never would do anymore. Also he is very active, has been walking by holding a hand for more than 2 months now and is on the verge of walking independently. I would appreciate any advice or tips or even to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 10 month old won't sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 22:06:04 pm »
Could you please post your routine and other details? That will help a lot.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54625.0
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline CCJay

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 22:19:40 pm »
How old is your child? 10 months
What’s his/her daily routine?Bottle 6/6.30am Up 8am. Breakfast 8.30/9. Morning nap approx 10.30 but as I said varies in length from 20mins to 45mins.Lunch 1.00.Nap 3pm. Bottle 4pm. Supper 5.30. Bottle and bed 8pm
What's bedtime routine? Time?
Do you bottle or breastfed??Bottle
How much? or how long?
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night?Sometimes none, other times maybe once or twice but settles easily (but now it's all changed- screams and screams)
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Until we give in and give bottle
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?Gets worse when we try to calm him
What have you tried to settle??
What do you do for A time and how long is it?
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
Do they have a lovie?PUPD haven't needed to use for long time-doesn't work, he doesn't calm down. Sh/pat doesn't work either as he stiffens up with temper. As I said he was sick but back to his usual self during day. Also on the verge of walking but that is not new either

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 18:13:39 pm »
It sounds like your lo might be spirited - have you taken the know your baby quiz?

It looks to me like your lo is caught in a cycle of overtiredness, and this is causing wakings and also general unhappiness. 20 - 45 min naps only?? This is definitely a problem. It also looks like you haven't tried any settling techniques yet. I suggest that you try wake to sleep for naps since PU/PD doesn't work (never did for me either), assuming that he wakes around the same time.

Try something like this -

6/6:30 bottle
8:00 up
8:30 breakfast
10:30 nap
10:50 wake to sleep
12:00 wake
12:30 lunch
3:00 nap
3:20 wake to sleep
4:30 wake and bottle
5:30 supper
7:30/8 bottle and bed

Jessica

Offline CCJay

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 22:48:02 pm »
Sorry. Just posted new topic when realised I should have replied to this one. Naps have improved. Most days DS sleeps for approx 2x 1hr  sometimes up to 1.5hrs. The screaming at night has also improved and have managed to get bedtime back to 8.30 which I hope to bring back to 7.30/8.00 The problem now is that he still wakes often during the night, standing upright. Usually doesn't sleep more than 3 hrs at a time.When he wakes I can get him to sleep with s/p(sometimes has screaming episode but not too often) He has started walking independently. Maybe this is the reason. Don't see anyway of getting him to stop standing up. Any tips or has anyone gone through this. How long did it last???

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 22:53:06 pm »
Glad to hear that you've had some improvements! Sounds like the developmental things going on are definitely affecting the wakings now though. Often when they learn a new skill they want to practice, practice, practice and nights are no exception.  ::)  It helps if you give them plenty of time to practice during the day so they get it out of their system as much as possible. My DS has been doing the same thing, all he wants to do is stand. I was up FOUR TIMES last night with him standing in his crib, quite pleased with himself. He did the same thing when he learned to get to sitting from laying down, etc. It really does help to give them plenty of practice time during the day. As they master the skill they get less interested in practicing, so the more time you give them to do that, the quicker it will go away!
Jessica

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 22:53:51 pm »
BTW deleted your new post.
Jessica

Offline CCJay

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 22:18:47 pm »
All he ever does is practice, practice, practice to be honest. Not much improvement at night though. He goes down at 8 but DH has already been up to him twice. As I speak he is moaning through the monitor. Maybe bad dream?? Also sometimes when we try to comfort him during night it's the last thing he wants. Doesn'tt want to be picked up, be left there. These episodes don't happen as often now but they're so hard when they do.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 22:54:55 pm »
I know what you mean - our los are about the same age, and we having developmental wakings as well.  A few nights ago DS was actually ASLEEP sitting up in his crib.  ::)  We've been up at least twice a night recently to lay him back down again from either standing or sitting. I've found that he usually does the best on days where he does very little else besides practice. Booooring I know but it works! The quicker they master the skill, the sooner they don't need to practice.

I know what you mean about the moaning and not wanting comfort too. My DS is a very noisy sleeper and it took me a long time to tell when he's actually awake and when he's not, or when he's awake but working on going back to sleep. He would get mad at me when I would try and help him - turned out I was only interfering! So, if he's showing you those signs, then leave him be. It's annoying I know, but he won't learn to self-soothe otherwise.
Jessica