Author Topic: need a wee hand with a 22mth old sleep prob  (Read 1339 times)

Offline corbhinClias_mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
need a wee hand with a 22mth old sleep prob
« on: May 29, 2006, 22:48:58 pm »
Am I'm not sure weretoo begin but here goes. I have 2 Babs cp is 34mth cs is 22mth yes there is only 364days between them. they are currently sharing a room due to space, cs my baby is a poor sleeper always has being no matter what iv tried it never works until today i had given up on finding ways to help my daughter sleep better i have being doing the broken sleep thing just going soothing her the way she likes a wee drink and a rub to her back.
Today i read about walking /walkout i was wondering if this wld work for me as cs is ok to be left on her own when put to bed the problem is she plays comes out of room and down to us down stairs thats ok because we have always brought her back to bed but this can go on from shes put to bed at 7pm until 10pm this has her falling asleep over tired causing her waken during the night or to wake and ready to start the day at 5:30 in and around it with this little amount of sleep shes exhausted
this cs current routine
5:30am wakens the whole house with cries
7:30am breakfast
10am snack
11:45am lunch
12-12:15 put down for nap
1:30 finalyfalls asleep
2:30i waken her
3pm snack
5:50pm dinner
6:15pm bathtime
6:45pm booktime
7pm bedtime
was wondering if anyone could help. me my dream would be to have to sleep from 7-730pm to 7-7:30 am and to be sleeping within a half hr of being put to bed and all through the night please i also read about shifting the
 time i put her to bed to help me achieve this i think that bit came from an moderator [excuse the spelling]
i know this sounds demanding but were all so tired and I'm having to take deep breaths quiet abit as my patients are slipping so need to to do something
so if any one has anything to share bout these to methods please do.
      a very lost mummy Mariaxxx

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: need a wee hand with a 22mth old sleep prob
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 14:27:24 pm »
Just curious--why do you wake her from her nap??  She is likely overtired which compounds the problems.  Is there a way you can let her sleep for a longer nap ie. to around 3:30?  As long as it's not past that it shouldn't interfere with bedtime--in fact it will likely help because if she is not overtired and becoming wired at bedtime she will likely settle more quickly.

I think you are doing the right thing taking her back to her room, but make sure you don't engage her at all or it becomes a game--no expression, no talking other than"it's bedtime", back into bed.  With walk in, walk out you would do the same thing when she wakes in the night--no drink, no rub. 

But I really do think a longer nap will help because the overtiredness as you have noted, is likely a major  contributor.

Offline corbhinClias_mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 23:04:05 pm »
Hi thanks for your replay, we used to let cs sleep until she woke herself which was in and around 3:30 but all this seemed to do was push her going to sleep later in the evening, cs isn't cranky when when shes put to bed shes full off life its the morning time after that shes very unsettled cs has always loved her bed the problem is she has never stayed asleep through the night shes a very light sleeper and now shes waken around 5:30 ready to start the day. We spoke to our healthvistor about cs poor sleeping to see if their was anything we could do to help cs sleep better and maybe get some insight on were we went wrong as we know it was us and not cs as we are her parents there for haven't yet found what suits cs. My healthvistor recommended that we cut her sleep to see if that works, it hasn't in fact its worse she wakens even more during the night and now the early rise. Thats why i have turned to the mothers at babywhisperers to see if anyone could help
Please accept my apologise for not fully explaining myself in my last post.

maria mummy to spirited corbhin and clia xx xx

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:10:07 am »
Hi Maria,

Welcome to the site. I've had loads of help here and I'm sure you will too. I have a 26 month old and I know that is a bit older but when he was fighting naps a few months ago I discovered that he was simply over-tired and wired by nap-time. He has a similar routine but some days ( when he is up at 6am or has been awake at night-time) we have to have an early nap - before lunch.

We have a 3:15-3:30 limit on nap-time for the same reason you do, and our bath time starts at 7pm. He usually settles around 8-8:30pm. For night-time we recently started to a routine where we tuck him in, give him a drink, cuddle etc. then leave the room and put a stair-gate across the door. We stay nearby to reassure him if needed but the idea is he does not come out except for a stinky nappy, when he gets put straight back after. It took about a week or some tears and needing reassurred (kind of like walk-in/walk-out).

Gotta go, baby awake... but good luck!
Vicky

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline imsmum

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 14:09:58 pm »
If the shorter sleep wakes the night waking worse I would definitely recommend allowing a longer nap.  If it is pushing the bedtime back simply work out how much time on , average your lo needs between nap wakeup and sleeptime.  So if it's 5 hours for example work backwards ie.  if you want her to be asleep by 7 she needs to be up from her nap by 2 so maybe try an earlier naptime like around 11 or so.  I think she is probably overtired by the time she falls asleep for her nap since it's a good 8 hours after she wakes.  You may want to take a look at the sticky at the beginning of this board about intervals between sleep times.  Usually you shoot for between 5-6 hours awake time.  So if she has a 5:30 wake time after a broke n night sleep you may need to try her for that 11 or 11:30 nap and then a 6:30-7 o'clock bed time.  Once she starts sleeping and napping better you can work on shifting her whole day forward.     

Offline corbhinClias_mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 21:00:55 pm »
hi its me again i haven't visited for awhile i have being working on cs sleep routine so far the walk in walk out is working it took a few weeks and boy it was hard work but we got through it the hardest part is over. The middle of the night wakings its not completely worked through yet but its getting their cs no longer gets up be for up at 5:30am doing the rapid return for 3weeks consistently has worked greatly  I did the walking/walkout at bed time and naps its worked well at naptimes after 4weeks she is going down easier but like the night wakings going to bed it still needs wee nudges that will just take time to work for my fireryspit fire

again thanks for your your interest and support fingers crossed love maria mummy of 2 fieryspit fires xxx

Offline imsmum

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 13:43:06 pm »
Glad there has been some improvement! Keep up the good work!