Author Topic: overtired? or forced to sleep too early?  (Read 3674 times)

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 174
overtired? or forced to sleep too early?
« on: May 30, 2006, 12:35:53 pm »
I am trying and trying to get EASY routine going on, but it does not work so good yet. Last days after I put my LO to bed he keeps waking up after 30 or 45  min and after this is hard to get back to sleep. And I am wondering am I trying to push him to bed too early? So our day yesterday went as follows

E about 2 a.m.
E  5 and went back to sleep, I guess he was awake already earlier but did not cry.
S  5-6
A 6
E 6.30
A
S 7.15-8.15 fall asleep when lying in my bed
E 8.45 eat, as crying so hard before it
A
S 9.15 or so trying to get him sleep, on and off about 10min cycles.
E 11 I fed him because he could not sleep and was crying
A
S about 11.30 tried to put him back for nap, got about 30 min from him
E 1.15
A
S 3- 3.50
E 4
A
S 5.15- 5.55
A bath about 6.15
E 6.30
S 7 fall asleep easily, was up again 7.25 and cried, tired to put him sleep, fed him 8, cried little more , from 8.30 -9 was fussy and then about 9 fell asleep.
E 2
E 6
S 7 -  in hi car seat(gave ride to work for my DH and was afraid to take him out.

He is still sleeping now.

So my questions are, how to go about feeding, when he cannot fall asleep? I usually bring feedingtimes together, usually try and when he is going without sleeping for a 30 min I feed him , do little awake maybe 10 min and try again for nap. But going then all day  is big mess. But I have no idea how to handle it better. Hope I was clear enough.  ???
And what to do about evening? Any advise?

~Efka~

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
Re: overtired? or forced to sleep too early?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 00:40:12 am »
It looks to me that you are feeding every 2hrs is that correct??
At this age you want to aim for 3hr EASY and awake time of no more than 1.15hr. At this age my DD was feed quck cuddle then back to bed until the next feed. It sounds like your little one is getting overtired and that is why as the day goes on is only having short naps. Also to try and eliminate one of the night feeding have you tried a dreamfeed around 10/11pm?
Anywat this is what you could aim for:

7am - Wake feed
8/8/.15am - Sleep
10am - Feed
11/11.15am - Sleep
1pm - Feed
2/2.15pm - Sleep
4pm - Feed
5pm - Sleep 1hr
6pm - Bath
6.30pm - Feed
7pm - Sleep
10/11pm - DF

If he wakes early try and resettle with the Shh/Patt method, some babies need help in the beginning to get a good sleep.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 01:43:11 am »
But this is my problem, I am trying to do 3 hour EASY, but when he wont take a nap and cries, then I do not know what to do. :( Let him cry and try to calm him no matter what so I could keep his eating times? So I guess what I am confused about is, when we somehow miss or cannot make him to take his first nap or this is too short what to do? Obviously he is going to be overtired rest of the day and crying , how to go then about eating? Give him feed earlier and adjust EASY after this or keep feedtimes? I am not even sure can I explain myself correctly ???
~Efka~

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 09:49:46 am »
What you need to do is to try and resettle if he wakes early from his nap. Please don't let him cry especially at this young age BW does not encourage this. What you do is turn your baby on his side and Shh and at the same time Patt him on the back until he is settle enough to go back to sleep. Some babies need help with sleep which is what you need to do with your little one at the moment. So if you put him down for a nap and he wakes up after 1hr then go in avoid eye contact and try and resettle it may take you until the next feed but each time it will get easier and less time.
****Big Hugs to you**** it is not an easy time when babies don't want to sleep and settle. It may take a little time and lots of patience (i know easier than it sounds) but you will get their in the end.

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:21:17 am »
No I won't let him CIO, he looks too sad when he cries and I just can't left him.
So when he wakes about hour later I try to resettle him and when cries try to calm him until feedtime?
But what about when he naps only 10 min? And then won't resettle, but cries? Should I then remaining 1.5 hour try to settle him even when he cries?
~Efka~

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 00:22:34 am »
Yes try and resettle him otherwise if you get him up then he will not learn to take long naps and then you will have a catnapper on your hands and you don't want that.

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 06:36:14 am »
Is he bf or bottle,

If he is bf, then 2.5 hour EASY is fine too, but it may be he is going through a growth spurt & so needs to feed more frequently & that is why he isn't settling. If you are bf, try offering again 5-10mins after you end a feed, just to see if he will take more
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 10:53:01 am »
Thanks I am always wondering does he get enough. This is good tip.
He is starting his day earlier- Last 3-4 days about 5 and just when I was commited to treat these as NW he woke up today 6 ::)
~Efka~

Offline jendavid

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 23:44:43 pm »
I was having this same issue today with my 6 week old not napping well and getting way overtired.  I noticed you wrote to not let them cry it out, but you also said to shh-pat until the next feeding.  What is the suggestion when they get really really angry and the shh-pat is just not working?  I don't want to cave in, but I also feel like there comes a point that there is no consoling him.  Thanks!

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 00:20:27 am »
I do not pat,I lie him on his back and hold with my hands his body  sometimes just saying it's OK, it's OK repeatedly until he calms, or sing on lullaby over and over. Very near of his ear. But sometimes it's not working, then if it's been 2 hours from last feeding I feed him again and try again and so over and over. :(. Sadly I cannot offer anything else.
~Efka~

Offline nicolanorway

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mum to christian
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 12:17:54 pm »
just windering, why do you think he is crying so much? has he got problems with wind/gas? my LO would be awake upto 12 hrs with just some 10mins in between. we took him to the homopath and a chiroprator, the homopath taught me how to baby massage him and help his tummy deal with the wind. the chrioprator was a godsend, he readjusted him and since then things have improved a great deal, both the LO and i suffered for 2.5 months before we got this sorted. he also ate a great deal, they say when a baby has an upset stomach they just want to eat and eat, and this really only worsens the case. HTH, nicola
[u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 15:06:29 pm »
I would guess it i gas and little reflux. I am trying to massage his little belly and do froglegs with him, but this does not seem to help a lot.Just falling asleep, when he get a good nap, he wakes up happy for a little time at least.
~Efka~

Offline nicolanorway

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mum to christian
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 18:50:33 pm »
i really would suggest going to see a chiropractor, we paid about £50 for the 3 sessions and it really did help. also i can try to explain what the homopath taught me. using a base oil (olivesoya) add a few drops of lavender oil (helps with relaxing) you then want to warm a few drops of the mixture in your hands. start by rubbing in wide circles on your LO's tummy clockwise. then to the feet, it is difficult to pinpoint babies reflexology zones, so once again massage clockwise on the foot (this normally makes my DS pee, so have a cloth ready). then you turn him over and just gently place one finger either side of his spine and work up and down. this massage should only take 5-10 minutes and they suggest doing it every time you change his nappy. remember, don't use so much pressure as he is only little. my DS is now 4.5 mths and we only massage before bed and it does help to settle them and relief wind/colic to some degree. once again, go to the chiropractor, ask for the colic treatment.
good luck and remember, ihave been there and things DO get better.

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 19:46:01 pm »
Thank you so much. Will def. try massaging and try to find chiroprator too. Do you think massaging helps little without oils too? Need to find place  where to buy these oils.
~Efka~

Offline nicolanorway

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mum to christian
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 06:44:39 am »
you can buy olive oil from the supermarket and it can be used on it's own, the lavender oil you can buy from a health shop, this isn't necessary but it could help him relax a little bit more. i think you need something (baby lotion even) to help your hands glide over his skin.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 06:47:10 am by nicolanorway »