Author Topic: 6 month old - Should I drop DF due to night wakings?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline jcasto

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
6 month old - Should I drop DF due to night wakings?
« on: May 30, 2006, 13:23:58 pm »
For the last few weeks, my LO has been waking periodically through the night.  I am usually able to put a Paci in and put my hand on his back and coax him back to sleep with little trouble.  He usually wakes up at 2, 3, and 5 (and sometimes 4).  I typically don't feed him, unless he's really crying.  He's a big boy, he's 6 1/2 months and weighs about 19 lbs. 

His schedule is this:  BF's at 6:30 and is generally on a 3 -3 1/2 hr easy.  He goes to bed at 8 w/ a DF at 10:30.  From what I've read in other postings, it's probably time to stop the DF, as this may be causing his night wakings.  Does anyone agree that this could be the issue?  Also, he is eating solids now.  He has cereal & fruit in the morning, and meat, veggie, & fruit for dinner.  We are starting lunch today.

If this is the problem, how do I stop the DF?  Last night I BF for 5 minutes on both sides, which is less than a normal feed (I usually DF for 8 min on both sides).  So, I'm slowing trying to reduce the amount of milk he takes.  How long do I stay at 5 minutes?  Can I reduce the amount each night?  Or do I need to stick with 5 minutes for a few nigths, then reduce it to 3 minutes?

Any other suggestions of why my LO is waking during the night?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 6 month old - Should I drop DF due to night wakings?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 13:28:33 pm »
i def think you need to move to a more definate 4 hr routine. even if it has to fall something like aeasy - so be it - but four hrs at this point is definately ideal! if you could pls post the entired daytime routine that would be very helpful. does your lo still get the catnap? it's probably just time to tweak the routine - start with moving to 4 hrs and stretching that A time a bit...but again if you post the routine then we would be able to help you more :)

when did these night wakings start in relation to when you started the cereal? someone correct me if i am wrong - but may it be a little early to start meats with you lo? i know i waited til closer to 8 months as it is harder to digest than fruits and veggies.

if you are wanting to wean the df just stay at 5 min for a few days and then move down to four or 3, and so on...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline jcasto

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 13:50:49 pm »
He spends his days at daycare, so his schedule varries during the day, but his schedule is basically as follows:

6:15 wake, BF 6:30 (10 min on both sides)
8:00 Breakfast - Rice cereal & fruit
8:30-9:00 Bottle (They offer him a bottle after breakfast if he's still hungry.  He sometimes takes 2-3 oz)
9:30 nap - 1-1.5 hr
11-11:30 Bottle 3-5 oz - He will only drink what he's hungry for, you can't force feed him an entire bottle.
12:30 Nap - 1-1.5 hrs
2-2:30 Bottle 4-5 oz
4 Nap - 30-45 min
5 Bottle 4-5 oz
6 Dinner - Veggies, Fruit, Meat
6:30 Catnap
7:30 BF (10 min on both sides)
8 Bedtime
10:30 DF

Also, I'm not sure when the night wakings began in relation to the cereal.  We've been feeding him cereal since he was 4 1/2 months old.  This was per our doctors feeding schedule.  It seems like he was sleeping through the night at first.  But all the nights start to blend together after a while.  He's never been that great at sleeping through the night. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 13:54:52 pm by jcasto »

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 15:33:03 pm »
i asked about the cereal b/c sometimes (even though dr's think they are sending you in the right direction..) lo's digestive systems just aren't ready for the cereal and need time to develop. this happened also with my lo as my dr said it would help with her reflux - that it did but gave all kinds of other problems that didn't start til a little over a wk after i started the solids so i didn't put together two and two to realize that it was in fact the solids til about a month later, which then i stopped and within a week she was back to normal (sleeping at night b.c of less gas/constipation.) does he seem gassy or uncomfortable at night?

also, your lo seems to be getting too many naps throughout the day. at this age a lo should be getting two longer naps and a catnap..and around 6-8 months they start dropping that catnap as too much day sleep will interfere with night sleep.

your morning A time looks good - perhaps even a little long but if it is working and lo isnt' getting overtired than stick with it. you pm A times look very short though - the morning A time should be the shortest of the day with the other A times slowly progressing to longer periods throughout the day (or at the very least the same amt of time as the am A time..) i def suggest cutting out at least one nap and so lo doesn't get overtired before bed move bedtime as early as you need to so that lo isn't getting too tired. when you end up dropping that last catnap as well, you will have to have an earlier bedtime for the same reasons so might as well get lo used to it now ;) :)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline teezee

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 15:35:41 pm »
btw as far as the df - at this point i would hold off on dropping it unless lo is naturally taking less himself. you dont want to change too many things at once as it may be too much for lo..but i would think that first you need to deal with and solve this nap problem rather than worry about the df. after he is sleeping better and you are down to three naps (or if he's not sleeping better you may need to just have two long naps and drop the catnap also...) then worry about the df...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline jcasto

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 19:44:33 pm »
OK, I will work on naps.  He was really tired last night at 4, so I put him down to sleep and he only slept 45 minutes.  We skipped the catnap and put him to bed at 7:45.  It seemed to help some.  I have asked the daycare to move more to a 4 hr easy, so that he is BF before daycare at 6:15 and then gets a bottle at 10 and 2.  We'll see if that helps tonight. 

I'll stick with the DF for now.  I was wanting to drop it bc he's getting kind of big and it is difficult to try and maneuver him around w/o waking up.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going.
Thanks!!

Offline teezee

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 03:46:35 am »
glad things seem to be moving forward even if it is baby steps!! it is great! i think the routine should help also..keeping my fingers crossed for you :)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005