Author Topic: Which bottle?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Fudge

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Which bottle?
« on: May 30, 2006, 14:25:44 pm »
Hi,my daughter is 3 weeks old and makes lots of noises during bottle feeding.Its like shes mouth breathing and trying to vocalise at the same time as drinking!I have a lot of problems winding her afterwards and it can take an hour all together.I'm using Dr.Browns and B Free bottles (which are the same),do you think another type of bottle /teat would be better? 

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Which bottle?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 18:42:54 pm »
Have you tried the NUK teats - they can be used on any cheap long necked bottle - DS used to have a lot of problems winding, and we found this also helped.

Not sure where abouts you are, but in the UK we have something called Infacol, and this helps lo's bring up their wind easier - what it does is collates all the little air bubbles into one big bubble.  it is fantastic.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Fudge

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 15:00:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply,I live in Ireland and we do have infacol,I forgot to mention that we're using that alreay with her and still have the wind problems.Do those NUK teats fit on the Dr.Browns bottles?If not,maybe I'd buy some cheaper slim bottles and try them out.I was also wondering if it was the formula that was the pioblem,we're using SMA gold,but are gradually introducing SMA white as shes a hungry baby.Maybe another type of formula would cause less gas?Does anyone have any advice about that?Thanks :)

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 19:29:59 pm »
I am not sure if they will fit on the Dr Brown bottles - try taking them with when you go shopping to measure.

I am not sure about the formula - We originally had DS on SMA but it did not satisfy him at all - so we switched to cow and gate which is a lot creamier, and he seemed a lot happier on that.  When we switched him to the hungry baby formula we found that it constipated him really badly so we switched back.

Let me know how you get on.

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 20:11:51 pm »
Hi there

I have to be honest after messing about with Avent bottles and Tomee Tipee bottles I found Dr Browns bottles to be the best bottles to prevent a LO swalowing lots of air while feeding - as long as the blue valve thing was pushed down properly, the tube had no blockages and the green bung in the neck was totally dry to allow air to pass through its holes. I still use them for Will now. If there was a bockage in the tube or the green bung wasn't allowing air in Will found it hard to suck up the milk and that made him gasp. Could that be happening to you?

Which number teat are you using for your LO on the Dr Browns? At your daughters age I would recommend the number 1 teat as others may be too fast and she may be gasping as the flow is too fast. The Dr Browns teats are v good as they are soft and the LO can mould her mouth around them and latch on to them more easily.

Infacol is also fab but remember that its use is cumulative so you have to give it to your LO before every feed to that it becomes more and more effective. It also takes a short while for it to be be effective after you first start.

Your LO is so young.. if I think back William was a noisy gaspy little eater at times and I too had difficulty winding him. The Health visitor told me not to worry too much - if no air comes when you pat their back whilst upright on your shoulder the chances are they have swallowed very little air and actually dont have any to burp up. So try not to panic too much.

If you can feel the air in your LO (I could feel it in William's back) a good winding trick I learned was to sit William up on my knee facing to the side (as best as you can sit such a little LO up) and to move the top half of his body in gentle circles first one way and then the other. That was great. Also the HV said to hold him up under his shoulders for a few seconds so his body straightens and allows the wind up.

Thinking about the formula - I used aptamil at first which made him very windy and uncomfortable. The hungry baby version just made his wind far worse because the hungry baby formulas have different protens in them which LOs find harder to digest so they stay feeling full for a long time. Your formula may not be suiting you LO - and at 3 weeks I really wouldn't advise using the hungry baby one if gas is a problem. If your LO does have a sensitive tummy and produces lots of gas consider using Cow and Gate Omneo Comfort (soon to be called just Comfort). Its made so that its easily digested and its a bit thicker than some formulas to help the LO to drink it smoothly and not take in too much air. Its freely available in Tescos although some supermarkets dont stock it. I have used it since Will was about 6 weeks and its fab! If you want to know more about it please say!

Ooops a v long post - I hope it is useful to you!!

Take care and good luck!!

Offline Fudge

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 10:27:44 am »
Thanks both for your replies,
 I was advised by my health visiter to try Coleif drops,which you have to put into bottles 4 hours before the feed and it sorts out the lactose.Well shes been on them for a 5 days and I can see an improvement,she burps immediatley now and is a lot more srttled after each feed.Before,we couldn't get her to take a nap much because she was still uncomfortable with the wind.She still makes lots of noises during a feed but at least we can wind her better now. :)

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 11:14:44 am »
Hurrah for Colief Drops!! They were one of my secret weapons towards Wills colic - wonderful wonderful stuff!

I hope that you are getting it on prescription from the Drs and not paying £10 a time for it! I payed for the first few and then asked the dr to prescribe some for me and he did - so if you havent already had it on prescription go for it. lol.

Helen xx

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 18:59:23 pm »
We used those too - Can't believe I completely forgot bout those.

I definitely agree that you get it on prescription - we did not know that we could get in on prescription and ended up paying £10 each time  :'(