Author Topic: overtired night wakings & (and overtired, stressed parents!)  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Sarah and JT

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3

Does anyone have any advice about dealingwith my son's night wakings? and/or trying to work with the nursery on J's routine.  Its all going a bit pear-shaped! 

My wee boy is 9 months old.  HIs night-waking are worse on the two days a week he  is at nursery - on these days he often only has an hours sleep during the day and he gets lots & lots of stimulation at nursery.  He will often wake up a couple of times before midnight and then again at about 4am.  Each time, he screams a lot, and thrashes his legs up and down and rolls from side to side.  It seems that tHe best way to calm him down is to contain him physically by either holding him on his side with a hand each on his hips and shoulders or to hold his hands by his side when he is lying on his back with a forearm across his legs.  He will calm down like this eventually but it ends up that we can't leave the room - the minute we lift our hands off him, he will start screaming and thrashing again.  Its a ransom situation!   If we wait until we think hes asleep, he often jolts himself awake again and it all starts again (even if we wait until we think hes definately asleep!).  We have also tried picking him up to calm him but it just turns into the same thing when we put him back down.  PUPD doesnt really seem an option as he can't seem to self-soothe at all when he is in this state.  IT usually takes 1 - 1 1/2 hours to get him back to sleep.

Obviously all this is horrible and not good for any of us!  We have been trying to adjust J's routine and make sure that he is getting enough sleep during the day (he seems to need a minimum of 2 hours sleep during the day to sleep through at night) - this works now on on non-nursery days when we have got him back to sleeping through the night.  It is very difficult on the nursery days and their ability to get him to sleep and keep putting him down seems limited.  We need advice on this & also if there is anything we could be doing differently when he wakes up in the night (esp. if we just can't get the nursery on board)?

HIs routine is as follows:

7:00 wake up & breastfeed (each side 5 minutes - although my milk supply seems to be reducing & J seems v. dissatisfied with it - feel that I don't always have much milk at times e.g. when I haven't had enough to drink, or have my period - it just seems to be reducing.   Am thinking that I will soon replace this with a bottle feed)
7:30 washed & dressed (& leave for nursery on nursery days at 7:50)
8:00 ish breakfast (cereal, fruit & 5 fl oz formula)
10-10:30 nap - 30-40 mins at nursery/1 hour min at home (though if he hasn't slept through the night we put him down at 9 - 9:30)
12:00 lunch
12:30 nappy change & play
14:30 nap (1 hour minimum) (though if he only had a short sleep in the am, we put him down at 13:30)
16:00 7 fl oz bottle of formula
16:30 nappy change & play
17:45 pick up from nursery on nursery days
18:00 dinner
18:30 bath, get ready for bed, 7 fl oz bottle of formula milk, clean teeth, wee story, bed.

In general, there is a lot going on for J - this is only his 5th week at nursery, and I've only been back at work 5 weeks.  He has also started crawling like crazy the last 3 weeks and in the last week he has started pulling himself up on everything.  Nursery is noisy, with lots of different toys than at home - and ofcourse lots of other children.  At home, we have quiet play about 30 minutes before J is due a sleep (e.g. with only one quiet toy when J plays on his own, or a story).  THe nursery seemed very vague if they did this/could do this.
He always goes to sleep with "sleep-dog" - his little blue cuddly dog! - this is at home and at nursery.

Thanks for your time and help!

A very tired mum!

Offline Sarah and JT

• Showing Appreciation 3
Re: overtired night wakings & (and overtired, stressed parents!)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 09:01:53 am »
I think I have to deal with the nursery - and get them to communicate a bit better.  I found out yesterday, that he had fallen asleep on the swing for 30 mins.  I think this is terrible - not only had i specified that I always want him put down in a cot,but surely thats a health and safety issue as well.  did no-one notice that he was about to fall asleep, and pick him up to put him down properly in a cot???!!!! :-[

I was up every hour with him last night.  I've never seen him so over-tired  and distressed.  I put him to bed early as well.  THe only good thing, is that I was able to calm him better last night (maybe a different frame of mind because I didn't have work today) and PUPD was a bit more effective.

Someone reply if only for some support??

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 03:25:09 am »
{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}} i have no idea how frusterating it must be to have to deal with a daycare and a constant routine...how difficult i can only imagine.

i too have/had constant worries about my supply. i thought my lo wasn't satisfied with the amt of milk she was getting but usually that coincided with discomfort from having to suck a little harder b/c of teething. when i don't drink enough water, have my period, stressed or lack of sleep - i get the exact same way. not to mention the lo's are getting older and needing less milk so less is being produced - it may help some to try pumping an hr after a feed if you feel you need some 'help' getting back up there. do also remember when there isn't as much milk or supply is low that the milk is thicker than when you are full and therefore still satisfies lo and gives him the nourishment he needs - imo i think it's the having to actually try and suck to get something with possible teething pain that may be bothering your lo more than anything.

i wouldn't suggest putting lo down early if he hasn't slept well the night before as this will just set him up to not sleep well again the next night as he will get used to or expect to have that early nap to 'make up' for the lost sleep and not have a need to sleep well kwim? opt for possibly a longer pm nap (not past 2 hrs imo) and/or an earlier bedtime instead as lo will 'make up' the lost sleep at the appropriate time then - through the night sleep.

i have heard that lo's who go to nursery often have more sep anxiety - could this be your lo? and that they wake at night b/c they want to be with mom/dad? in that case spend the most one on one time with your lo as possible esp right after work/before bed...make some extra one on one time :)

hth! sorry i don't have more answers for you  :-\
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Sarah and JT

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 08:23:51 am »
thanks for your help.  I'm feeling a bit better because even tho J woke up a few times b4 midnight, i got a 6 hour block of sleep in & i had a couple of naps myself yesterday! phew!  I've lost that tired weepy feeling!

I think you are right - sep anx i think does come into it - but there are so many other factors as well ~& he was definitly over-tired from nursery.  A couple of nights we have tried to put him to bed half an hour early - but he just wakes up half an hour earlier in the am.

Sarah

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 14:29:57 pm »
as far as lo waking in the hrs just after being put down for bedtime - that def stems for being overtired. you should def talk to the nursery about this as they isn't much you can do without their help kwim? good luck with it all and keep us posted! :)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005