Author Topic: How important is morning wake up time?  (Read 927 times)

Offline VAmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 31, 2006, 15:07:42 pm »
Last week when I began babywhisperer I studied Jacks schedule and he was waking at 5 am for is middle of the night feed, then he was waking again at about 9 for the day. SO, I was going to make is wake up time be 9. Since that seemed to be his norm. Then by Saturday he was naturally waking at 8 so I went with that, then Sunday at 7 so we went with that, now today he awoke at 6:30.
I am so confused about what to do. I feel like because he woke at 6:30 it has totaly ruined the plan for the day.

SHould I set a wake up time and be consisant with it?

Also, Jack was on a 3 hour sleeping cycle through another book I read (Babywise) but I didn't like and therfor never institued the CIO. However with this book he was waking after sleeping for 45 min.

I began instituting this last Thursday. and his night sleeping has gotten worse. I am also still confused about the catnapping and clusterfeeds for a 10 week old...any suggestions
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: How important is morning wake up time?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 15:14:22 pm »
Hi, and welcome.  As for the morning wake time I do recommend that you have a set time.  It will really help make your days more predictable.  If he continues to wake at 6:30, let him be as long as he's not crying, and get him up at 7. 
Can you give us your routine so that we can further help you?  Include as much detail as you can:  wake time, feed times, nap times and lenghts, bedtime.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline VAmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 15:34:53 pm »
Thanks so much!

I have only been doing this since thursday, and his waktimes have been erratic but this is what happened yesterday

7:30 he woke up ate 4 ounces, it took him 25 min to eat
then he played in our bed and went back to bed at 8:30
10:40 ate 5 oz in 20 min had a bath and was back in bed by 11:30
1 30 ate 4 ounce in 25 minutes sat hin his bouncy seat and looked out the window was back in bed at 230
    He woke iup and 315 and had lost his pacifier, gace it to him then tried shush pat (my baby is not a crier
    but he fusses...) did not go back to sleep, tried shush pat and would walk away (he would look asleep)   
    then he would fuss
4:05 gave in and fed him ( it was only 30 minutes early) 4.5 oz it took 35 minutes to eat He then sat in his swing for 20 minutes and was back to bet at 5:00
7:00 woke him to feed at 6 ounces in 40 minutes, had some family time, never showed tired cues around 8 tried to get to sleep wouldn't until 910
I wolke hin at 1020 for last feed (I tried the Dreemfeed but he gagged and coughed, so I have been waking him) ate 3 oz and was back in bed at 10:45.
THen he awoke at 1:50 ate 6 ounces, and then woke up this morning at 6:30.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 15:12:07 pm »
I think you're doing great overall.  The only thing I might have changed would have been the late nap from 5-7.  I would limit the last nap of the evening to 45 mins or 1 hr if previous naps had been short.  You really want him to have a bedtime about 12 hrs from the morning wake time, then you might start seeing a more consistant wake time.  Also, it's okay to wake him for the df, I always woke my dd as she would not eat in her sleep.
Was his first nap from 8:30-10:40?  And then 11:30-1:30?  If so, those are great naps.  With the nap that he woke early (2:30), that was great that you tried shh/pat.  I would just encourage you to do it until he gets into a deep sleep and stay by his side in case he stirred again so you would be there for him immediately.  Since he's already a good napper, you shouldn't have to do that too often.  Just keep in mind that he will be going through so many changes, usually up until 6 months, and you'll have to watch his cues for a need to change his routine.  These would be eating less at each feeding, naps shortening, more night wakings, earlier morning wake time.
Have a look at this thread and see if it helps you:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62100.0
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007