Author Topic: Does limiting naps to 2 hours each really work???  (Read 1065 times)

Offline mixtim

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Does limiting naps to 2 hours each really work???
« on: May 31, 2006, 20:31:24 pm »
I've enforced the no naps longer than 2 hours rule in BW book (I think it's discussed during the Robbing Peter to Pay Paul section) since my LO was practically born (she's now 4.5 months) and she still wakes up 50% of nights.  I'm starting to wonder if the rule really works or if I should just let her nap longer when she wants to.  I think I'm just afraid if I let her sleep longer it will foul up the rest of our routine for the day and/or she will sleep the day away.

Any thoughts?

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
Re: Does limiting naps to 2 hours each really work???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 00:59:00 am »
i do believe it works, even now that my DS is 7MO, i read that he should be napping 3hrs, total, so i have been limiting his nap to 2hr in the mornings and 1hr in the afternoon, and guess what, he goes to bed at 7-7:20 and NO PEEP from him until 6:50-7am!!!!

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 02:22:14 am »
It does work but at 4.5 months its not unuasual for your LO to wake at night. Keep at it and when she'll start to sleep longer and eventually through.

Remember to an infent anything over 6 hours, or 1 missed feed, is considered sleeping through.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline mixtim

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 19:11:13 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance guys.  It's good to know from those with experience that my work on that end won't be for nothing!

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 04:18:56 am »
oh yes, I think it is great rule as we have been down the night/day switching. Oh boy was that hard to break! When Gage first started sleeping on his own he started taking long naps. I didnt want to ruin a good thing, and he ended up sleeping WAY too much. As a result he was up almost all night. With that said, I do let Gage sleep extra long if his first nap was a bomb (20min or less) as he only has 2 naps per day, but that is a rare. But I prefer an earlier bedtime.