Author Topic: Sippy Cups - When?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline albertagirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 01, 2006, 01:13:47 am »
My daughter is 9 months old - so not a toddler yet - but I am wondering at what age I should be switching her from a bottle to a sippy cup? She seems to take water or juice okay from the sippy cup but in very small amounts but refuses to take her formula. She throws her bottle around everywhere so the formula goes all over the place which is why I thought maybe she should move to a sippy cup.

Any suggestions? I don't want to leave it too late that she won't take it at all!!

Offline FutureMKD@surfmk.com

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 16:04:30 pm »
I started the sippy at 6m with solids.  He would only take 1 or 2oz.  When I switched to cow's milk and no BF at 12m, he started drinking much more of the sippy.  Now, at 13m, he will down a sippy in no time flat!  Research shows that toddlers on the bottle aren't getting enough iron b/c they are getting most of their calories from milk/juice instead of iron-rich foods. 

Offline Alibobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 91
Re: Sippy Cups - When?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 13:49:08 pm »
We made the transition to sippy cups when we began to give dd cows milk instead of formula. She had been having juice/water in a sippy since 6 months, but didn't like the idea of her milk being in there. At 11 months, we started with the first bottle (around 9am) and put cows milk in a sippy that was the same make but a different colour to her juice sippy. (The hv said it was ok as she still had her 2 bottles of formula, and we didn't replace it completely with the cows milk.) The first day she had nothing, but we just gave her juice and a small snack afterwards - we didn't top her up with formula as we thought that if she knew there was no alternative, she'd get used to the idea sooner. (However, we did increase the other two bottles later in the day so that she had what she needed). The next day, she had a couple of sips, the day after a bit more etc. It took a while, but when she was drinking the full cup, we started on the next bottle and did the same. When she was drinking that, we swapped the night time bottle (the one I was dreading!). She was a little over a year when we did that.

Hope this helps. I've read it through and it sounds very confusing, but feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear.
Alison, mum to

Offline leopard_spots

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 02:50:03 am »
Hi,

I just started to wean my 10 month old from bottles to sippy cups over the weekend.  He hasn't had a bottle for two days now.  I was really impressed how well he transitioned (basically cold turkey).  He is a pretty easy going kind of guy though and never found his bottle to be a comfort thing.  I guess it depends on the child.  I just recently read that pediatricians prefer children to be weaned sometime around a year old to prevent baby bottle tooth decay.  I figured I would try it and it worked.  Good luck to you.

Offline Gippie

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:54:07 am »
We introduced them at 6 months old - after dinner with water in them - she LOVES her Sippy cup!!!!   

Stacey

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Sippy Cups - When?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 15:07:37 pm »
We started giving Bram a sippy at 6 months, now he does fine with it and loves to drink out of and play with it. ;D