Author Topic: i need help again!!!!!  (Read 1584 times)

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
i need help again!!!!!
« on: June 01, 2006, 07:18:28 am »
hello me again,
i have been doing the df for 5 nights and this is how its gone
night 1 up at 1.30 and 2.30
night 2 up at 3
night 3 up at 2.30
night 4 up at 2.40
night 5 up at 1.30 till 3.30 crying then playing. crying then playing.
he has the df at 10.30 each night and takes it well about 5.5oz, should i still be doing the df if things aren't improving?
at a loss what to do i have tried everything !

Emma ???
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
Re: i need help again!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 15:35:30 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54625.0

if you could answer the questions at this link it would be very helpful.

without having much information i would like to ask exactly how the df is being done? is lo staying fully asleep during? have you tried cluster feeding? what are the other wakings like and how do you respond to them? are there more or less wakings than before and are they different in nature??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline macsmum

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 15:56:10 pm »
my son is 19 weeks old
he is on 3.5/ 4 hour easy
he has 2 x 2 2hour naps one at 9am and 1 at 1pm and a 30min cat nap at about 5.15
he has his last bottle at 6pm then a bath story then bed usually down for 7 asleep by 7.20
he falls asleep independantly with very little fuss often none at all
he is bottle fed and has 4 x 7oz bottles a day and a df at 10.30 he stays asleep for this.
he can wake anywhere from 1 to 4 times a night after midnight i offer cooled boiled water to settle which usually works fine with shush pat if necessary the pu/pd was not working sometimes its a mantra cry for a while then his cry escelates so i go to him he can be up for as little as 10 mins or as long as 2hrs
no prop or lovie used i am not weaning him, but his wakings are irratic so i dont think he wakes from hunger, i usually feed him if it is gone 5.30 am half his 7 am feed, he is not teething.
activity time we read stories sing play baby gym rocker, swing etc usually about 1hr 15 mins then we have to start to wind down ready for a nap.
hope u can understand this

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 16:17:50 pm »
so i am sorry if you mentioned this but is lo fully asleep throughout the df? maybe the df isn't for your lo - have you tried cluster feeding instead? your lo is still young, and it is still common for lo's that age to wake once or twice a night for a feeding imo.

you may need to have that catnap a little bit earlier..have you tried playing with that a bit?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline macsmum

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 16:33:30 pm »
I FEEL LIKE I AM RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS ,I AM CLUSTER FEEDING IN THE EVE AS WELL HE HAS 5OZ AT ABOUT 4PM THEN ANOTHER 5 AT 6PM, HE DOES STAY FULLY ASLEEP THROUGHOUT THE DF THE TROUBLE IS WHEN I WAS FEEDING HIM SAY AT 2 WHEN HE WOKE HE THEN WOULDN'T TAKE HIS 7 AM BOTTLE.
I HAVE TRIED TO MOVE THE CATNAP BUT HE ISN'T READY I HAVE PUT HIM TO BED LATER AT NIGHT AND EARLIER.
I THINK I MAY BE TRYING TO PUSH THE SLEEPING THROUGH A BIT TOO MUCH AS I HAVE 2 DAUGHTERS THAT BOTH DIDN'T SLEEP WELL AND THIS CONTINUED FOR NEARLY 3 YRS, I AM STARTING TO QUESTION MY PARENTING SKILLS WHEN IT COMES TO SLEEP, I WAS QUITE HAPPY TO FEED ONCE IN THE NIGHT FOR ANOTHER FEW MONTHS BUT WHEN HE BEGAN TO REFUSE HIS 7 AM BOTTLE I FELT I HAD TO STOP.
THE TROUBLE IS HE WAS ONLY WAKING ONCE AT BETWEEN 2 AND 3AM BUT THEN HE STARTED TO WAKE AT 11PM AND IT WAS ALL JUST GETTING WORSE SO I STARTED THE DF IT DID START TO GET BETTER BUT HAS GONE BACKWARDS AGAIN.
LIKE I SAID HE IS 19 WEEKS BUT WEIGHS 19.5LB SO IF I THOUGHT HE NEEDED FEEDING I WOULD DEFINITELY DO IT
THANKS EMMA

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 16:42:57 pm »
Hey ladies {{{{HUGS}}}} it really will get better.

At that age Bram was still having one night feed after the df.  He would df at 10:30 and then wake at 4-6 am for a feed.  It really isn't until this past week that I have decided to cut it out because he really is not hungry when he wakes.

It could be that he really is hungry and that is why he wakes. 

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 17:37:58 pm »
Hi again Macsmum  :)

Not sure if I have shown you this before, here is the link to DF info on the bottle feeding board.  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

Sometimes it can take up to a week to implement...if you can't get him to take it within 5-10 minutes I would put him back down right away.  If you find after about a week of trying, that it's just not working I would then concentrate on the clusterfeeding instead.  The dreamfeed sometimes takes a few days to a week to get established, I'd recommend that if its not working, you drop it for a week or 2, and then try it again.

How many oz,s and what times are you feeding your LO in a 24hr period?  What time are you doing the DF?

lauren
Lauren x

Offline macsmum

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 18:10:01 pm »
HI AGAIN CALLUMS MUM,
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SPEEDY REPLIES,
HE IS HAVING ABOUT 35OZ IN 24 HOURS WITH THE DF, BUT TODAY I HAVE PUT HIM ON FAST FLOW TEATS AS HE HAD STARTED TO FUSS WHEN BEING FED AND HE HAS POLISHED OFF 3 OUT OF THE 4 BOTTLES SO ALREADY HE HAS HAD 34OZ AND WE HAVEN'T GOT TO THE DF AT 10.30PM.

WHAT I DOESN'T GET IS HE IS A A CROSS BETWEEN AN ANGEL AND A TEXT BOOK BABY, SO WHY AM I HAVING THIS PROBLEM ???
SHOULD I CONTINUE WITH THE DF A BIT LONGER OR DROP IT AND FEED HIM WHEN HE WAKES ALTHOUGH HE WILL USUALLY SETTLE QUICKLY IF CRYING WHEN HE WAKES WITH JUST A BIT OF SHUSH PAT AND SOMETIMES A BIT OF WATER BUT WHEN HE IS BABBLING AND COOING IT CAN GO ON FOREVER

EMMA

Offline Lªuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 18:20:04 pm »
If it were me I would be inclined to try the DF a few more nights, it isn't suited for every LO but at least try it for a week.  :-\  Glad to hear the faster teats are working.

Calum is also an angel baby, just looked at my log and he was still waking at 0130 for 2oz ( I was trying to cut it down, to eventually offer water) - he also ranged from 33 - 35oz per day - with solids!.

If he is babbling, cooing or Mantra crying and leave him, if he is crying out of need go to him.

Are you on a 4hr EASy???? I am assuming you are if he is having 4 bottles  :-\

Emma, I don't think you are having a problem at all, everything you are going through with your LO is normal (at least it was for Calum and I). The next thing that you will probably need to amend your routine for is your LO dropping th catnap (if you still have it).

Out of interest what was he waking at night before you introduced the DF?
Lauren x

Offline macsmum

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 18:33:45 pm »
HE WASN'T TAKING MORE THAN 2oz AT NIGHT B4 THE DF BUT THAT SAID I WAS ONLY GIVING HIM ENOUGH TO SETTLE HIM BECAUSE WHEN HE TOOK MORE HE WOULDN'T DRINK HIS 7 AM BOTTLE!

MAYBE NOW WITH THE FASTER TEATS HE MAY MAKE UP HIS CALORIES IN THE DAY BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO STICK TO FOUR HOUR EASY BUT HE HAS STARTED TO DECREASE THE TIME BETWEEN FEEDS SO HOPEFULLY WITH THEASE TEATS HE WILL TAKE MORE AT EACH FEED THUS GO LONGER?
HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT I WAS STARTING TO FEEL A BIT LOST. I WILL CONTINUE WITH THE DF FOR A FEW MORE NIGHTS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

EMMA

Offline Lªuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 18:42:35 pm »
Emma
That explainations sounds good, I hope the faster teats make the difference :) give us a shout if you need more help.
Lauren x

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 18:48:04 pm »
I know guidelines say 6 months but is it possible your lo is ready for solids?

My lo is 16 weeks and weighs 18lbs.  About four weeks ago he began to wake in the night around the same time, at about 2.15am, give or take half an hour which sounds like your wee one.  He did take his bottle at that time so I guess he was hungry but then he wouldn't take much of his breakfast bottle but then wanted a bit of a bottle mid-morning.  At first I thought it was a growth spurt but it didn't stop after a few days.  I then thought he was getting into the habit of it, which I wasn't too keen on as I didn't want him to start snacking (which seemed to be the way he was heading)when he had been on 4 hour EASY.

My hv suggested that given his weight and size that despite the current guidelines I try him on solids, just a little baby rice, fruit or veg, as long as it was gluten free.  He takes two v small meals at lunch and dinner (and has done for th elast fortnight) and I don't know if its coincidence but the last two nights he has slept through 11-11.5 hours.

Obviously I don't want to push you in a direction you and your baby mightn't want to go (so please don't be offended!) but it might be worth checking with your health professionals.

Offline macsmum

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 19:02:41 pm »
NO U R RIGHT I HAD BEEN TOLD BY THE HV TO START SOLIDS AND I DID TRY A LITTLE BUT HE WASN'T INTERSTED THAT WAS A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO, I DON'T WANT TO PUSH HIM AND I DON'T BELIEVE IT WILL HELP HIM SLEEP, HE DID SLEEP THROUGH AT ABOUT 7 WEEKS FOR ABOUT 8 NIGHTS BUT THEN THE GROWTH SPURT HIT AND ITS BEEN A BIT OF A BLUR SINCE.

IF HE CONTINUES TO DRAIN HIS BOTTLES WITH THE FASTER TEATS AND STILL WAKES AT NIGHT THEN I WILL HAVE TO START WEANING COS THERE IS NO MORE ROOM IN THE BOTTLES ;D

THANKS
EMMA

Offline teezee

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 19:24:17 pm »
i agree that starting solids early more times than not does not do any good for a lo. i started early as a dr suggested and in fact is caused MORE wakings than i had previously had to deal with. most times, lo's digestive systems just aren't ready to handle it and therefore will give you all new problems with gas and / or constipation..

hope you are feeling better emma..i think you are doing a wonderful job and the sleep situation will get better with time - i know that prob isn't what you want to hear right now but it is true. i had a horrible time transitioning to a 4 hr routine with my lo and it seemed to increase the night wakings also - but soon after everything started to  fall into place :)

good luck with everything {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline macsmum

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 19:45:24 pm »
HELLO TEEZEE

THANKYOU FOR YOUR WORDS OF SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT I SO NEEDED THEM,I WILL CONTINUE TO BATTLE MY WAY THROUGH THESE NIGHT WAKINGS AND HOPEFULLY COME OUT OF THE OTHER SIDE

THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT I WILL BE IN TOUCH AND LET U KNOW HOW IT GOES

EMMA :o