Author Topic: Any views on Walking Rings ???  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Michaela's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • Michaela - my cheeky little angel !
    • International Work from Home Opportunity
Any views on Walking Rings ???
« on: June 01, 2006, 07:21:49 am »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a view on walking rings - i have heard all the pros and cons and must admit that i do use one for my 7 month old - she loves her ring. I have heard that it may impede other development skills like crawling which in turn impedes the co-ordination function which in turn causes learning difficulties at school going age ! ::)

My lo is not crawling yet, but is trying, so surely if she crawls as well as "walks", this is not harming her in any way?

What are your thoughts on this?

Sharon :)

Sharon
Mom to Kaeleigh (19) and Michaela (16 months)

Offline luckyb52

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Think Babies
Re: Any views on Walking Rings ???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 14:31:23 pm »
Please use a stationary exerciser instead... see this forum post:

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=56687.msg399943#msg399943

Love life with your lo!

LuckyB52

Offline Lola

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 12:50:09 pm »
Walking rings are illegal here in Canada. We have an exersaucer which she has been using since seh was able to sit up properly. Seh has both floor time and saucer time equally.
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Wife and Mummy.

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 14:36:26 pm »
OK this one will have so many views.my girls both used ours.dd1 never crawled but did bum shuffle at 6 months, and walked on her first birthday she loved the walker,she was never left alone,she had no stairs to fall down as we then lived in a flat,she was able to follow me around which helped me alot as she hated being left on the floor so to me it was a godsend.dd2 loved being in it too,but she would move herself she just sat there.she crawled late around 9 months and didn't walk until 20 months so i think if a child is going to develop late then they will regardless as to what you do with them or put them in.always remember always stay close,and never leave them alone,and try not to leave them in it for too long at one time.i never brought mine a friend gave it too me not sure if i would have ever brought one myself,i suppose if you don't have something its easier to say that your lo developed fine without it.its the same as when i was pregnant with dd1 i wanted to use dummy as everyone i knew did but mil went on for nearly 9 months about how dummies are for lazy mothers so didn't use one in the end {boy i wish i did}everyone has different views about different things.good luck.do you have a door bouncer?they are good and very portable.
samantha,mum to all.

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 20:27:44 pm »
As a mother with a child which was born with a club foot - I have to tell you, that with all the doctors / physio's we have seen with regrds to DS' foot, they all strongly advise you not to use a walker as they say that it can encourage your lo to walk on their tip toes.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline ashtonsmummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • mom to Ashton born Oct 24 2005 Burnaby BC
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 21:03:27 pm »
hi sharon i have a walker for my lo, they are illegal in Canada but  i kept mine some how from my two other kids who are much older now and can from experience say that no they do not stop them from walking, crawling,learning but i never keep them in the walker only they had just as much floor time. my oldest daughter was walking by the time she was 10 months potty trained at 13 months never had any problem in school and is now in college studying to be a cga. my second daughter walked about the same time and toilet trained around the same time as well. i was a stay home mom so had alot of time to devote to them. my lo is now 7.5 months uses his walker and has been crawling since he was almost 7 mnths. he too now is walking along the furniture so i think it all has to do with the child there are lo that are not even crawling and not using a walker and i have found out there that is for and against the walkers so really it comes down to what u want and about the safety anything is not safe if you don't have your eye on your lo at all times.