Author Topic: 4 month old waking at 4/4:30...need advice/encouragement!  (Read 1407 times)

Offline mljlmr

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old waking at 4/4:30...need advice/encouragement!
« on: June 02, 2006, 10:24:44 am »
For a week now my 4 month old has been waking between 4 and 4:30. The first few days i observed, then the last 2 days i was so beat that i just put her in our bed when she awoke....well last night i told myself i would try to get her in her bed. Well 4 came around and out of habit i put her in our bed, but woke at 5 realizing that i need to get her in her bed so i put her in there.
Well its been over an hour and im still trying to get her fully asleep. Any suggestions? Is this going to happen every morning??? im shocked my 3 year old hasnt woken yet, shes right next door.
Thanks for any advice/encouragement! i need it..

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 4 month old waking at 4/4:30...need advice/encouragement!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 14:25:52 pm »
if you could post your routine that would be helpful :)

if u could also answer any relevent questions at this link it would be great :)

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54625.0
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline mljlmr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 15:01:17 pm »
How old is your child? 4 months old
What’s his/her daily routine?

6:30-7 up
7-bottle
8:00-fruit
8:30or9-nap
9:30 or 10-up (always short)
11:30-bottle
12:00-nap
1:30ish-up
3:00-bottle
3:30-nap
4:00 or 4:30-(short) up
5:00-fruit
6:30-bath/read/relax
7:00-bottle
7:15 or 7:30-bed
D/F at 10:00
Up at 2-2:30 to eat

What’s nap routine?  3 naps
How long are naps? maybe 3-31/2 hours
What's bedtime routine? Time? look at schedule
Do you bottle or breastfed??bottle
How much? or how long? 4-5 ounces every 4 hours
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night?1
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?  drowsy
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? fussy
What have you tried to settle?? patt/shhh  (PU/PD doesnt work)
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  sing songs, play with toys, walks. 2 hours or so
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? teething! rolling over
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) yes, reflux since 2 months, been on spoon with cereal since, just started 2 times a day
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? paci
Do they have a lovie? yes stuffed dog

Thanks for looking at everything. She just started waking at the 4-4:30 mark, and shes almost wide awake, but fussy like shes tired.

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 15:15:15 pm »
how long has lo been on fruit or cereal for? could that be upestting lo's belly? all that is really needed at this point for lo's nourishment is bm or formula..a lot of times lo's digestive systems just aren't ready to digest any type of solids before 6 months..sometimes even at 6 months. i started my lo on the same as per dr's orders for reflux and although it didnt' affect her til about a wk later it created more and more problems for me. it did help with the relflux but gave her a new set of problems disgestively...gas/constipation..

i would try and let lo fuss/mantra cry if that's all she is doing. she may settle herself..as soon as her cries turn into 'i need you now' cry go to her. it is said that lo's sometimes wake between 4-6am for some play time and how it continues will depend on how you respond to it. just keep consistant with the shh/pat when the fussing turns to crying and hopefully soon enough she will learn to settle herself.

try and maybe extend the morning A time by 15 min or so as she may not be tired enough to be able to sleep through her sleep cycle for that first nap. also if you put lo's down 'too early' for an am nap sometimes that will interupt the early am sleep with a waking like that.

hth
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline mljlmr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 15:20:10 pm »
Thank you for you suggestions. I will cut back on the solids at night time, she doesnt seem to have a problem with it at all, but i will try that anyway.  Also do you think i should try to get her on a 2 nap schedule since she doesnt nap long for #1 and #3 naps? thank you for your help!

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 15:23:09 pm »
no not yet. i think your lo is getting slightly overtired b/c she isn't napping enough at this point..just my opinion anyway.

i think with extend that A time slightly it should help with the am nap - extending as she will be more tired kwim? the first two 'should' be the longer naps and then a catnap in the late afternoon/evening (half hr to 45 min).

how long ago did you start the solids for your lo?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline mljlmr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 15:32:09 pm »
how much sleep should she get at 4 months during the day? well shes been on rice in a bottle or spoon fed since 2 months. I started just feeding her a meal with it since her spitting up has almost stopped, about 1 1/2 weeks ago. she does great on it, i only did maybe a tablespoon and started fruit with only 1/2 of the jar. Pedi said its fine, shes growing good and her intake on formula is good (20-24 ounces) but i did wonder if starting it at night about 4 days ago has upset her belly. Maybe?

SO your saying to keep her up for 2 hours and 15 minutes in the morning? i could do that. she does go a period sometimes from 3:30 or 4 - 7 or 7:30 where shes awake, and wants to sleep. maybe she is overtired? Does my schedule look ok? any tweaking you may suggest?

Offline teezee

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 15:42:24 pm »
just that morning A time for now and see how it goes - all lo's are different so go slowly and it truly is lots of trial and error.

i would give an earlier bedtime though imo. the routine 'should' be based on 12hrs a day. so if lo's wake up time is 6:30 put lo to bed at 6:30 pm. this may also help lo get 'caught up' on any sleep and help reduce the night waking.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline mljlmr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 15:56:11 pm »
ok i will adjust and take your suggestions, anything to help at this point! thank you so much!

Offline teezee

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 16:18:49 pm »
no problem keep me update on your progress :) good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005