Author Topic: milk allergy?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline ambersmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
milk allergy?
« on: June 02, 2006, 12:44:49 pm »
My dd has had a runny nose. It has had serious impact on sleep. I wondered if it could be milk, so put her on soya milk for a week. There may have been a slight improvement in nose although definately not with sleep.

My question is, how long would it take of being off cows milk before we'd see an improvement?
Also, if it isn't milk, any suggestions?

TIA
Juliet

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: milk allergy?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 13:09:18 pm »
Normally a milk intolerance would cause congestion/stuffy nose but not usually runny nose. How long has she had the runny nose for? Could she have a cold? Also, if she does have a milk intolerance, it's very possible she could have one to soy also - in that case you might want to give a formula like Alimentum or Nutramigen a try for at least two weeks.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 13:16:49 pm »
thanks, runny nose since jan, congestion at night causing bad sleeping and mucus on chest causing cough. Sound like milk intolerance?

Offline preston,parker&peytonsmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 04:09:20 am »
My dd who will be 5 next month started having chronic sinus infections at 27 months.  We battled these for the next year and a half before we finally found the cause to be a milk allergy.  The first time I suspected it to be a milk allergy I think she just had too much infection to see a difference and I didn't see it through long enough.  The 2nd time happened by accident-she had no milk for 5 days, runny nose cleared up, had milk and it returned in 30 mins after having the milk.  6 months is a long time to be dealing with runny nose-is it always clear?
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-
Peyton (7-20-01), Parker (7-18-03) and Preston (3-22-06)

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 11:37:46 am »
thanks for your story. The nose cleared up for a few days, but came back today.  >:( it isn't always clear. Also we only took her off milk for 2 weeks, maybe not long enough? Dr said there'd be other symptoms if it were milk, so I put her back on it.

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 20:33:19 pm »
Just FYI-Peyton's ONLY symptom of her milk allergy is her runny nose.  That's why it took us 18 months, 14 anitibiotics, and a tonsillectomy and aednoidectomy to finally get it diagnosed!  ::)  My most important thougths on this are to follow your mommy instinct above what any dr says to you! 
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 20:55:55 pm »
thanks for that! It is great to have all this BW wisdom to call upon! you sure went through alot to discover it was a milk allergy.

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 20:37:18 pm »
My dd has a milk, soy and wheat allergy that gives her a stuffy nose.  We suspected a milk allergy at 1yr. old when she was switched from formula.  She immediately developed chronic constipation.  She finally saw a pedi. GI and was put on Miralax at 2.  I always suspected milk since the constipation started right at the intro. of milk in her diet.  She is now 5 and we took her to an allergist for testing about 9 months ago.  He tested with drops under her tongue and we found out she was definitely allergic.  Her pedi. GI insisted that constipation isn't a sign of a milk allergy, but the allergist said that it is the #1 sign.  She also was very congested.  She now takes desensitization drops under her tongue every morning and this has completely gotten rid of her congestion.  We tried to eliminate milk from her diet but she is such a picky eater and milk is in everything, hot dogs, lunchmeat.  Is your daughter constipated?  Is her only symptom the runny nose?  You might want to consult an allergist.
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 21:42:15 pm »
Can you tell me more about the desensitization drops?  My dd has started getting quite upset that she has this allergy . .   
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 22:45:45 pm »
The desensitization are clear drops that her allergist mixes up.  She takes 3 drops under her tongue every morning, she holds them in her mouth for 30 sec. before she can swallow, and then has to wait 10 mins. before she can eat anything.  The mixture is based on the testing that she had done.  They tested her also using the drops under her tongue.  They gave her the milk drops and then waited to see if she had any reaction to them (nose congestion etc.), then gave her drops to neuralize the reaction.  They would know how much to put in her mixture based on how many drops they had to give her to neutralize her reaction.  I hope this makes sense.  They have really made a difference  :).  I plan on having her tested for more food allergies in the future, we are quite busy with an 11 wk. old baby girl with reflux  :-[.
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03