Author Topic: Need ideas for educational games - Teachers?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline N Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 64
Need ideas for educational games - Teachers?
« on: June 02, 2006, 15:51:49 pm »
I know there are a few teachers here so i want to pick your brains!

As my pregnancy progresses, ds and I are spending more and more time at home as the days i ache to much to move are becoming more frequent. 
I want some idea for activities i can do with ds that doesn't involve much running about and particularly that will help him learn letters, number and colours.
We do all the usual things like books and counting/naming colours of lego blocks etc.  I want something that ds can get really involved in as he hasn't developed a great concentration time yet.  And of course i want it ot be fun and no seem like a 'lesson', kwim?

While i'm asking favours, what would you expect from a child his age (2Y 2M) to know?  The only colour he can really name in PINK, the only letters he recoginises and names are 'C' and 'T' and occasionally he'll recognise 'A' & 'B'  and the only number he knows is '2'  (he recognises it written and when we count, every number is '2' ::)
Does it sounds like he's behind?  I try to use every opportunity to point out letters/numbers/colours, whatever we do or when we're out & about.

Any help gratefully received, its going to be a boring summer if i'm stuck giving him the same old games to play! ;D
Nina Lou

Offline N Lou

• Showing Appreciation 64
Re: Need ideas for educational games - Teachers?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 14:57:39 pm »
Anyone? ;) :P
Nina Lou

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 15:28:23 pm »
Sorry we all missed this!!!

I can't stop for long but I will come back later and post, if i forget, PM me!!!
Kimberley

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 15:56:59 pm »
Hi Nina Lou

I'm not a teacher but we've just had Johno's two year check which was very thorough!  I wouldn't have thought Connor was at all behind.  I don't think they are supposed to recognise any letters at this stage.  As for numbers, Johno does counting, like steps and things but he says one, two, three, four, six, eighteen, nineteen, twenty!  But again, he wasn't expected to know any numbers at all.  All they are supposed to do is talk and recognise pictures of things, like trees, shoes, ball etc. 

An idea that works for us if I need a longish span of concentration is stickers.  You can get sticker books where you make scenes or you have to get the right sticker to make the story.  We've got a bob the builder one and you stick the pictures through the story then read it.  Also the Cbeebies magazines have things like this each week.

HTH
Jenny

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 17:31:13 pm »
jenny the cbeebies magazine is a great one!!!

Holly knows her colours and some numbers but I put this down to a freak of nature developmental spurt, not that I've done anything diff. She kind of learns loads in one month and then doesn't do anything for another 6 months!!!

Anyway when she started being interested in her colours we went to the library and got lots of book about colour out. Could you walk/drive to your local library?

Something I remember doing at preschool and in early years at school was making colour collections. there would be a colour for the week, you could change it weekly or daily, and Connor could collect things that are that colour. he could do this in the garden whilst you sun yourself!!!! this could be done by collecting the objects and/or making a book about them.

if he isn't readily picking up letter names try him with sounds instead, so a is for apple, alligator etc. See if he can remember any that way.

I agree with Jenny he doesn't sound behind to me, just normal. You are doing a great job.
Will post some more ideas when my brain's warmed up a gear!!
Kxx
Kimberley