Author Topic: plays in bed during part of naps?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
plays in bed during part of naps?
« on: June 02, 2006, 16:09:05 pm »
hi- my 12 week old is a little figety in her bed during part of her naps, and lately she has been refusing a feed in the afternoon.. i am not sure if she is ready to transition to a longer feed or not. currently we are anywhere between 2-3 hours. she is very content in her bed now that she has found her thumb, but i am worried that she is not getting enough good quality sleep, as she seems very active in bed.... eyes open, looking around, moving arms and legs! (not the whole nap, but maybe for half of it).. she doesn't cry or seem discontent, so i don;t go get her until it;s time to feed again. i have just extended her A time from 45 mns to 1 hr, and i am wondering if she should be awake more? she seems fussy and ready for sleep though when i put her down.. the last couple of days, when i have gotten her out of bed for a feed (she was grunting and i didn't want to make her wait) and i put her to the breast and she fussed at me and seemed to want to play instead.. that only lasted for about 20 mins and then she was fussy so i put her back to bed and she slept another hour solid.. is she needing play time in the middle of her nap? it's so weird!!
thanks for any advice! (she is prob 11 or 12 lbs)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: plays in bed during part of naps?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 19:23:00 pm »
Hiya

Do you want to post your typical routine and we can have a look.  :D

lauren
Lauren x

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 18:28:38 pm »
hey lauren-
sorry it took me a couple of days- i wanted to see if she was developing a pattern,. and i am not sure if she is or not, but she was just doing it, so i wanted to post about it..

last night we had a rough bedtime (unusual for her) and she didn't get to bed until 915.. she usually goes down btwn 6:30 and 7:00, and last night i think she got hungry and then got gassy and then was overtired from the whole ordeal!
but anyway, here's today so far:

E 7:00 (sleepy, so i thought shed go back to bed bc of the late night last night but she just wiggled her hands and figeted so i got her up for some play time)
A 7:20-7:56
S 7:59-10:15 (good sleep)

E 10:20
A 10:33-11:13 (good A time- lots of activity, tried to roll over, etc) showed sleepy signs, so i put her down
S 11:14  protest crying, and then off to sleep within 10 mins..
   11:40  seemed figety, and unable to resettle, though she is usually quite good at it..
   12:10  started to fuss, sometimes she is hungry (or at least i think she is) at 2 hr mark, so i got her up to feed...

E 12:20-12:25 (not a full feed).. as soon as i tried to have play time, she started to fuss, so i thought maybe she had gas...
   ... gave her gas drops
A 12:25-12:55 she quit fussing and enjoyed about 30 mins of playtime with her grandparents (visiting this week)
S 12:56, back to sleep.. fussed for maybe 3 mins, and then OUT like a light..

(so far, that's today.. i am curious about this play time in the middle of her nap??? she seems to need/want more A time, but i can't keep her up longer than an hour at a time before she has a meltdown!)

day before yesterday, she did this same thing...typical morning, then at 11:52, i put her down after a full hour of A time, and she was only in bed for an hour before she was fussy (i don;t think it's the 45 min monster bc she went through that and would wail at 45 min on the nose, and be totally unsettled afterwards) and i got her up, tried to feed, and i put her back down after only eating 5 mins, ... i gave her no A time that day in the middle of the nap.. and she slept for 2 more hours!)

sorry for the messy schedule and the rambling, but i am just curious about what to do with her!! ;) to me, it seems like she gets a second wind mid-nap and needs to burn some energy before she can sleep more!

thanks for any advice and help!

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 09:55:19 am »
Avery's momma
Just to let you know I have seen this and I (or someone else) will reply soon.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 01:49:17 am »
I believe Lauren is off on vacation/holiday, so I'll offer my opinion.  I would hold off on feeding her at 2 hrs.  At her age, she shouldn't have trouble going the 3 hrs, and even if it's a growth spurt she'd probably only need to feed at 2.5 hrs.  So, what I think is that she just has varying lengths of naps.  If you think about it, she's had 2.25 hrs in the morning, so she may not need a long nap in the next cycle.  However, if her first nap were only 1.5 hrs, then I'd bet she'd have as long if not longer next nap, or then there might be a nap problem.  How long did she end up sleeping at 12:56?  If it was short, it was probably because she didn't take a full feed.  If it was long, that's great.  So, after that second nap, if she wakes before a feed is due, you will just have some more A time, feed her at 3 hrs, then some more A time, and the next nap.  Continue to watch her cues b/c she'll be tired sooner since having A time before the feed.
Hope that helps.  I'll check back for your reply.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 03:52:46 am »
hey heather-
thanks for your reply :) the rest of yesterday went as follows:

S 12:56-2:00

E 2:20-2:30
A 2:30-3:12 (fussy.. gas maybe?)
S 3:12-4:15

E 4:20-4:27
A 4:27-5:03
S 5:03... didn't sleep... it was close to bedtime, so i got her up to start bedtime routine

A 5:40 - bath
E 6:00-6:10 (sleepy eater)
S 6:15-7:00 (immediately fell asleep, then woke at 7 and started trying to roll over!)
E 7:10-7:20 (i thought she woke out of hunger.. so i mistakingly went in to feed her... she didn't eat, but sucked a bit,
S 7:20..down, mantra crying.. at 7:33 she was calm and sucking her thumb and at 7:45 there was a slight cry, but then she sucked her thumb and went to sleep..

tonight i put her down to bed at 6:45, but i felt like she was very active in bed (sleeping eyes closed, waking, moving arms around, seems more active than usual.. and she finally really fell into deep still sleep at 9:00..) do you think i am putting her to bed too early? when i tried to put her to bed a bit later than usual one night this week, she went totally biserk.. but i will say, i used to put her to bed and she would konk right out and not budge. do you think it is bc her grandparents are in town this week? or maybe bc she is learning and taking in so much new information that she can't unwind at bedtime?

today i was better at leaving her in bed when she woke up, and not trying to rush in at 2 hrs and feed.. i agree, i think i was going in too early to feed. today i left her in for a few more mins than usual and she would suck her thumb and sort of drift back off to sleep.. do you think this kind of sleep is restorative, or when i count awake time, should i count the awake time she has in her crib, in between these tiny naps in her nap time?

thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it. :) and i am not sure i have this posted on the right board... if you think it needs to be moved, just move it or let me know and i can move it to the right place :)

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 06:05:54 am »
Thanks for replying Heather,
I am off with bad cold at the moment and holidays on Saturday.

I remembered about this in bed last night.  :-[
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 17:10:34 pm »
It sounds to me that she is trying to learn to self-settle and you just have to stand back and observe.  Try not to rush into her until she is actually crying.  If she is rolling around or sounds restless, you should still give her a chance.  Also, try to hold off for 3 hrs before feeding.  Just b/c she wakes early does not mean you have to feed her again.  She will develop a snacking problem, and that can cause nap problems.  As for what counts as wake time, I would count the time from when she is completely done napping and has stopped drifting back off to sleep.  You can still leave her in her crib as long as she's not crying and allow her to still have some "rest" time for an additional 15-20 minutes or so.  But that's up to you.
Bedtime, I feel, should be 12 hrs from morning wake time or earlier if the day's naps where very short or baby is sick or in a cycle of overtiredness.

You are fine to post here.  If we need additional help for you, we'll get it.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 18:39:04 pm »
thank you sooo much! that really helps me understand a bit more of what's going on with her.. i think i maybe watching her on the video monitor is a little too distracting for me.. i just sit and watch and listen to her grunt and it's a bit torturous! thanks again for your help and your answers!!! :) ali and avery