Author Topic: Desperate to stop night waking  (Read 1091 times)

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Desperate to stop night waking
« on: June 02, 2006, 21:46:43 pm »
Hi,
I've been dealing with my lo's night waking for a long time and I accepted the fact from previous posts that it is common for his age to have at least 1 night waking but I'm very tired now and would like it to stop.  Unless he's super hungry, I don't offer a bottle.  Before, DS's night waking was at 4am but not it has varied between 2am and 4am

When DS wakes up, he's not hungry as he doesn't take a full bottle and he already went through his 4 month growth spurt (that was 2 night wakings) and his diaper is never completely soaked for a changing.  Even if I changed the diaper he has a hard time resettling back to sleep.

So far I've observed that when he wakes up he has a hard time going back to sleep.  I've tried pat-shush, pu/pd, giving a bottle, rocking him, etc nothing seems to work.  I even tried putting him in bed with me and some nights he will go back to sleep in my bed and some nights he can't fall back asleep.
Last night for example, he woked up at 2am.  I tried everything and nothing worked.  He would cry and get frustrated that he couldn't go back to sleep.  He kept moving around like he was trying to find that "magic" position to fall asleep in.  Well it took him until 6am to go back to sleep.

We are on a 4 hour EASY with our day starting at 8am.
EAT:  8am, 12pm, 4pm, 7:15pm, 10:30pm (DF)-----BM in a bottle except for DF which is formula
1st Nap:  10am-12pm
2nd Nap: 2pm-4pm
3rd Nap: 5-5:30pm (catnap)
Bedtime routine starts about 7pm
Sleep about 7:30-8pm on a good night and if it's a bad night LO will fall asleep about 9:30pm

Any ideas how I can stop the night waking?  I tried w2s but at the moment that's not going to work as his nigt wakings have been inconsistent times.

Melodie

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Desperate to stop night waking
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 02:41:44 am »
i understand that lo isn't hungry if he isn't taking much at a feed during the night..but could the problem be gas? you say lo is moving a lot 'trying to get comfortable' - well maybe is the formula bothering his belly since he is getting that is the last feed you are giving him? or could it be something that you are eating that is affecting him from the daytime??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 02:37:00 am »
I tried switching the DF from formula to BM in a bottle and I'm still having the same problem.
I think DS maybe going through a phase or something but last night he had only 1 night waking instead of 2.  I think the problem must be solving itself???

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 03:35:07 am »
i would keep up with the bm for a few more days maybe? it could take a few days for the formula to work it's way out of his system..or maybe if you want to try a different formula that is easier on bellies?!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline naunmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 04:49:23 am »
To follow teezee's line of thought ... if it's gas and the problem is not formula or bm ... check the nipple.  Once ds was getting terrible gas pains and it came from nowhere - I checked the nipple and saw that it was damaged ... so he was taking in too much air.  After I changed the nipple ... he was fine again.  Just a thought ... if you think the problem might be gas.