Author Topic: xtreme nightmares  (Read 2417 times)

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:27:39 am »
im posting here as imhoping some of u may beable to help me. my dd who is alost 11 months for the last 2 weeks roughly twcie a week will wake screaming utterly terrified.even when we pick her up she doesnt stop and it took 45mins last night to calm her down- is this really normal for just a nightmare??? she doesnt even seem to recognsise who we are. we finalyl stripped her off a little then took her into the hallway as it was little lighter and she started to calm down. both the hv s dont know what the prob is (bloody uselss) and im sure its not food or naptime related as there seems to be no pattern. i just dont knw how to help her and feel so helpless when shes screaming "mama mama" ........people have said shes too young for night terrors but i find it hard to believe nightmares r this bad

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:07:37 am »
do u think it could lso be linked tro seperation anxiety??? i wouldnt say she is clingy during the day but she she is with me virtually all the time and doesnt go t oa childmidners or nursery so nighttime is really yht only time she is away from me

andibig

Re: xtreme nightmares
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:45:07 am »
hi
poor LO. sounds like you said a night terror (although shes a bit young).We had aperiod of this with DD. Shed wake crying, i'd go in cuddle her and only when i turned a light on she stopped. so werid no idea what it was!! saying that she did come down with a bad ear infection shortly afterwards and started teething with her molars. is she generally well and happy during the day.has she started cruising or anything like that at all.

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:01:36 am »
shes fine during the day although she only has one 2hour nap at around 9.30ish. she crawls and can walk along the furniture. she isnt unwell at all. i just cant see any pattern to it

andibig

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:11:01 am »
my other thought was she might be afraid of the dark maybe a nightlight would help. could be shes waking up, its dark and shes disorientated (does that make sense). have to say with DD we never did work out what it was and it just passed. (scared the bloody life out of me know ::))
when u go in when shes crying what is her body like i.e is it completely rigid (common with night terrors)

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 09:23:31 am »
yeah and when u pick her up she arches her back and goes mental- it helps when u go into a lighter oom though

andibig

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 11:43:37 am »
the only advice i've read about night terrors and how to deal with them is not to pick them up. just to offer verbal reassurance.they can last as long as 45 mins or as short as 5 mins.fortunately the child has no recollection of them (as opposed to nightmares). overtiredness can make the situatuin worse also if family has a history of sleepwalking etc. i would try a nightlight (IMO) and see if that helps

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 13:34:02 pm »
THE THING THAT WORRIES ME THOUGH ABOUT NOT PICKING HER UP IS I DONT KNOW FOR SURE IT IS A NIGHT TERROR IF U KNO WHAT I MEAN...and my dh used to sleepwalk!!

soz for caps

andibig

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 14:12:04 pm »
understand when you say not sure if its night terrors or not. does she generally do this within the first2-3 hours of her sleep. theres and article on the BABYCENTRE site about night terrors if thats any help. if it carries on i would maybe see a dr (as hv useless-does not suprise me!!!!) just to rule out any underlying causes.

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 19:12:45 pm »
recently its been at 9.30pm, 10.30p, 12am 3am and 4am so as u can see it varies a lot.

andibig

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 19:17:56 pm »
hmmm. does vary quite a bit. could u possibly post your routine and see if the mods can help. i know you said you don't think its a food/nap thing just might help to have a look at it

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 11:26:01 am »
wakes approx 7am
breakfast approx 7.30am
milk 10am
nap till approx 11.45am
lunch @ 1pm
tea @ 5pm
bottle @ 6.45pm
bed!

andibig

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 14:16:10 pm »
just wondering if that nap needs to be moved a little later. could be overtiredness causing the problem. what do you think?????

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 19:41:29 pm »
shes just had another night terror and im using that word as thats what i reckon it is- as a) it was only 1.5hours after she went to bed and b) she was semi asleep. we also dealt with itdifferent kind of how u suggested and how BW suggests too - dh held her for a min or two which didnt help so he put her down and i just shhsd her and held her hadn and she stopped screaming after 5mins so i think that may have helped. trust me to have the dd that has them at almost 11months not even proper toddler age lol.

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 19:43:15 pm »
ill try holding her nap out till a little later- not easy though!!