Author Topic: should I start on 3.5 EASY  (Read 1168 times)

Offline devonandlachysmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 04, 2006, 11:25:26 am »
I have read up on starting the EASY method. My man is currently feeding 4hrly but I think it is too long for him so think I should start on 3.5hrly. I have been using "props" for him to sleep and now when he goes into his bed he will cry until taken out. (a bad habit I started) He is going to bed @ around 7/7.30pm and not having a d/f (as I did not know about these until now) and wakes either 3.30am or sleeps through to 5am sometimes.
So my questions are:
It says on Wind-down time to close all curtains and have the room dark, but how does baby learn difference b/tween day & night?
My man is 5 wks old so it recommends not to use pu/pd but use pat/sshh. He does not like being swaddled (much to my dissappointment) **My last baby loved it and slept wonderfully** He will get more wound up by being restricted.
With pat/sshh do you put them to bed and if they start crying, start patting their back and if they settle you leave or do you stay there patting until they are completely asleep (which takes about 20min it says) what if they are still crying after 20 min?
If I do 3.5 Easy his feeds would be 7/10.30/2pm/5.30 then 9pm so would the 9pm feed be his d/f and currently his last feed would be about 7.30/8pm with bath @ 7pm. Will he get confused and upset at the night change?
What if he still wakes at around 3am?
Do I wake him up at 7am to start the day or leave him to wake himself?
What is cluster feed?

His current routine is:

3.30am Wakes and feeds- 5oz

E: 7.30am Wakes and feeds- 5oz
S: 8.00am (sleeps about an hour then on/off an hour)
A: 10.00am

E: 11.30am wake and feed- 5oz
S: 12.30 (sleeps in carseat 1.5-2hr)
A: 2.30

E: 3.30 wake up and feed- 5oz
S: 4.30 (Sleeps in pushchair, go for a walk)
A: 6.30 bath @ 7pm

E: 7.30 feed- 5oz
S: 8.00pm (down for the night)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: should I start on 3.5 EASY
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 02:21:46 am »
It says on Wind-down time to close all curtains and have the room dark, but how does baby learn difference b/tween day & night?
At his age, he would probably already have this sorted out.  Although it can occur up to 8 weeks old, you will help prevent this by waking him from naps and not letting him sleep longer than 2 hrs at a time.  You don't want him to sleep past feeds, either, b/c you want him to have the bulk of his calories consumed during the day so that he isn't as hungry in the night.

With pat/sshh do you put them to bed and if they start crying, start patting their back and if they settle you leave or do you stay there patting until they are completely asleep (which takes about 20min it says) what if they are still crying after 20 min?
Well, I didn't copy the part about your lo hating to be swaddled, but rereading Tracy's book leaves me to recommend trying it some more.  What appears as though he hates it may just be a sign of overtiredness as your getting him ready for a nap, and if he's flailing about, then that's all the more reason to swaddle him.
Here's a link from the General Sleep Forum about shush/pat:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=26672.0

If I do 3.5 Easy his feeds would be 7/10.30/2pm/5.30 then 9pm so would the 9pm feed be his d/f and currently his last feed would be about 7.30/8pm with bath @ 7pm. Will he get confused and upset at the night change?
I was looking at a post with an example 3.5 hr routine with hours like yours (https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62788.0), and it looks like you do the 5:30 feed, then bed at normal time.  Then you can do the df at 10.  Another possibility would be to cluster feed, which is just a method of feeding in shorter time intervals in the evening to fill him up before bed and hopefully lessen night wakings, at 5 and 7 and then put him directly to bed.  You could still do the df at 10-11.  I don't think he'll be confused or upset, but if you try to keep him up too late he will be overtired and upset.  You will want to aim for a bedtime 12 hrs from morning wake time.  If something doesn't work, you can always change it.  An important thing is to write it all down so you know what does and does not work.  One or even 2 or 3 nightwakings is still typical for his age, so you would feed him.

Do I wake him up at 7am to start the day or leave him to wake himself?
It is my recommendation to try and have a set wake time to keep your day somewhat structured.  It may not be entirely possible at his age right now, but between 6-8 am is reasonable.  Here's a link with some varying opinions:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62558.0
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline devonandlachysmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:21:08 am »
Thanks for that reply Heather. Its a great help. Sorry to be a pain but I want to do this method but would like to know that Im understanding it properly first ,so could I ask you another few questions?
Firstly, Im still not sure what cluster feeds are. I understand you feed at 6pm and again at 8pm but is that the full 5oz at each time or half at 6 and the other half at 8? Then would I still give the df at 11pm? What if after all that he still wakes again at 3 or 4 or 5 in the morning, do you feed again then or make him wait until the 7.30am feed?
Another question about pat/sshh. If he crying and I go in to start pat/sshh and he goes to sleep do I continue pat/sshh for 20min(I read it takes 20min for baby to completely fall asleep) from when he stops or 20min from when I started.
I know Im probably being way to over anxious but your input would be very much appreciated.

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: should I start on 3.5 EASY
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 18:51:23 pm »
For the cluster feeds, offer the full feed.  He'll probably take it all (or most all) at the first feed, but may not take it all at the second cluster feed.  You are basically just "topping up" and making sure he has a full belly.  You still do the df, and feed him in the night if he wakes. 
My understanding of shh/pat is that you want to continue until he is in a deep sleep, so probably 20 mins +/- from the time he stops fussing and closes his eyes.  Some babies will do fine if you gradually stop the patting, and slowly lower your voice until your quiet, and then just leave your hand on his back/belly/head/legs, which every works for him.  The important thing is to stay with him in case he jolts out of sleep again, then you can immediately start shh/pat again.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007