Author Topic: Books for 5 month old  (Read 1490 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
Books for 5 month old
« on: May 31, 2006, 17:43:21 pm »
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good books for a 5 month old. He's just now getting to the point where he'll sit on my lap and enjoy looking at the pages with me. We have a Lamaze book called "Peek-a-boo Zoo" that he seems to really like, I think just because the word "Peek-a-boo" is in it, and he recognizes it! Not to mention, there's lots of flaps to open and peek behind.

I'd like to get him some touch and feel books. I'm going to get a "Pat the Bunny" because that's one I remember from my childhood. But I'd love to hear what other good board books are good at this age. We've been given lots of books, but most have long stories that just aren't right for this age. I'd like some books that are more picture oriented that he might enjoy right now. Rhymes are good too because I know he likes it when we do rhymes in the bath tub! I do read him a short Mother Goose book, and he always looks at me quizzically when we get to "Patty Cake" because that's a game we play together, and I think he's curious why we're not clapping hands while I'm reading!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Books for 5 month old
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 21:06:07 pm »
"With Love a celebration of words and pictures for the very young" by Wendy Cooling.

This is a story book compilation, we read this to DS when he was tiny, it is a compilation, short stories, poems etc and gives a good introduction to lots of childrens books. It is a brilliant bedtime book rather than one for los to handle themselves. Harrison still adores it.

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 21:28:44 pm »
DS LOVES the board books by Sandra Boynton. He likes the rhythm, the rhymes. I think we started reading them to him around 5 months, also, and he is riveted whenever we read them to him now. Would definitely recommend them!!! (My favorites are Belly Button Book, and Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs).

Offline nicb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 00:45:14 am »
Ditto the above poster who recommended the Sandra Boynton books - I love Barnyard Dance, Moo Baa LaLaLa and Pyjama Time. Also:
Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you See & Polar Bear, Polar Bear What do you Hear  - both by Eric Carle
Dear Zoo - Rod Campbell
Each Peach Pear Plum & Peepo - last name of the author is Albright, I think
There are so many others - What Floats and Mimi's Toes from the Baby Einstein series, Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown, Goodnight Gorilla - we've got tonnes of books for DD, and she's loved them from the time she was very young.
Nic
Mum to Madelyn - January 7, 2005

Offline home alone

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 01:06:06 am »
My friends by Taro Gomi is really popular with my lo for since she was 4-5mth.  I do all the animal sound.  Also, I gave it to 2 of my friends and they loved it!  Illustration is great!
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 16:05:24 pm »
We have a plethora of books in the house (although, it's never enough, eh?  ;) ) yet DD seems to always return to her two favorites: "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" by Eric Carle and "Ten Little Ladybugs" by Melanie Gerth. 

If you're looking for rhymes, one of our favorite Mother Goose books is by Sylvia Long. It is a wonderful collection, beautifully illustrated, and a good keepsake book.

Marie

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 17:26:15 pm »
Thank you so much everyone!

I ordered a couple Sandra Boynton and a couple from the Baby Einstein series (they seem simple and good for his age). I also had to get Pat the Bunny because it was just a favorite of mine when I used to babysit.  I'll be writing down the rest of these titles for later! Amazon had a great by 3 get 1 free sale, so I took advantage! I'm really excited to start reading him these books.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!