Author Topic: Need help for 10 month old  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Need help for 10 month old
« on: June 05, 2006, 01:25:27 am »
Hello:

I have read the BW books and also ready a lot on here for about 6 months now.  I love all the posts on here and they have helped out a lot, but I wanted to post our problem and see if anyone could help me.

I have recently been able to stay at home full time with my son.  It has been a month now, so we are trying to get a ROUTINE down.  He  has been so used to when he went to daycare.  We are just having so much problems with our afternoons. 

I really want someone to give me a schedule/ routine and I just stick with it.  Here is what we have been doing:

A: 6:15
E: Bottle 6:30 8 oz.
A: Play
E: Breakfast about 7:00
He is tired about 8:15
8:20 windown and right to sleep. 

So that only means he was up for about 2 hours before getting tired.  He sleeps until about 9:30/ 10:00.  This is when I take my shower and get ready for the day.  Well after that they rest is down hill......  He would eat again about 10:30 8 oz. bottle. Lunch about 12:00 and then nap anywhere between 1:00/2:00 for about an hour.  Wake up Whine, Fuss, Whine, Fuss...  Try to give bottle sometimes takes it, sometimes does not.  Snack at 4:00 (He loves this).  Fuss, whine somemore.  Dinner at 5:00.  Fussy, Bath and bed at 7:00.

The past 2 days he has not even taken his afternoon nap.  Today he was up from 10:15 to 7:00 without a nap.  And it was very hard to get him down for bed.  It was like he was so hyper..  I am sure over-tired! 

Anyhow please please give me a schedule to go by.  I have tried extending his wake time in the morning to about 9:00, but he is so fussy and still wakes up at 10:00.  I think I just want to pull my hair out.  I fill like I am doing it all wrong.

I am a very organized person and just want to know when he will eat, sleep and when we can get outside and do stuff.

What time should he take his afternoon nap?  I thought about making that 2:00, in hopes it would help with his night time fussiness, but then maybe that could just make it worse because he would be to- tired. 

He is teething.  He already has 5 teeth and 1 more breaking through the skin and he is almost walking.

Anyhow any advice for what my 10 month boy should be doing as far as EASY goes:  I have read through the post of 6-12 mo. routine examples, but thought I would ask for some "individual" help.

Thanks,
Wendy Mother to Son Zachary
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Re: Need help for 10 month old
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 01:43:13 am »
Wendy,

I am not sure if this will be helpful, but this is DS's routine (it may vary by about 15 minutes either way):

Wake around 6 or 6:15 a.m
6:30 - 4-6 oz. bottle
6:45 - activity
7:30 - breakfast (fruit)
7:45 - light activity (reading, some floor time, but not much jumping around)
8:15 - 10:00 - morning nap
10:00 - 4-6 oz. bottle
10:15 - activity
11:00 - lunch (meat/veg, and yogurt)
11:20 - activity
12:30 - 2:30 - afternoon nap
2:30 - 4-6 oz. bottle
2:45 - activity
4:30 - snack (Cheerios or cheese or cubed carrots)
5:00 - walk in the park or in the neighborhood (sometimes he falls asleep during this for about 15-20 minutes, but not always)
6:00 - dinner (oatmeal)
7:00 - bath
7:15 - 4-6 oz. bottle, then bedtime routine and bed

I hope this helps you, but every kid is different so what worked for DS may not necessarily work for your LO. Let me know if you want me to clarify anything.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 01:51:39 am »
Hello.  Oh wow it is SO nice to see someone else who gets up at 6:00/6:15 and is down by 8:15. 

If your DS does not fall asleep in the stroller, is he really fussy fore being up from 2:30 to 7:15?

Your morning schedule looks JUST like ours, so I don't feel so bad now.  I thought I was doing something wrong.  I just need to figure out the afternoons.

Thanks for your help!!!  Is your DS son on finger foods now and what is he eating?

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 01:56:54 am »
Wendy-what he is experiencing is typical for teething and developmental milestones approaching.  Would you be able to mimic the routine he had at daycare?  Do you know what that was and could you post it for us?  Perhaps we could tweak that to suit your days at home.  2 hrs of A time is fine for his age.  My dd was only up to 2.5 hrs until she was about 13 months, and even now she sometimes likes to have a morning nap after 2.5-3 hrs.  One thing to try is that on days he has short or no naps, put him to bed an hour earlier.  He needs to make up the sleep or the cycle of overtiredness will continue and escalate. 
Have you taken the quiz to know what type of baby he is?  Let us know what your winddown is and his sleep environment.
I think you're doing just fine and you're being too hard on yourself.  Babies are very hard to figure out, and just when you think you know what's going on, it all changes again!  {{{HUGS}}}
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline GabrielleD

• Maryland, USA
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 02:21:11 am »
Wendy,

So glad it helped. DS starts to get cranky around 4:30-5 pm, but calms down when we take him outside. He seems to LOVE being outdoors, so that's why we started taking him for a walk before his evening bottle. That and it gives DH and I a chance to catch up and get some much needed exercise. He gets fussy again close to 6 pm, but we figure that's probably because he is getting hungry. After he is fed (evening bottle), he is ok for about 30-45 minutes (not happy, but OK), then starts to get really fussy. Sometimes we give him a bath at 7 and sometimes at 7:15 depending on how fussy he is. Sometimes it's even a little before 7 if he seems really tired. Whether he takes a little nap during the walk doesn't seem to affect how tired he is after his evening bottle.

We are just starting DS on finger foods now. He loves Cheerios, little pieces of cheese (Muenster), bread, cooked carrots. We also tried little pieces of a muffin (didn't like that - what's wrong with the boy??!! ;)), but we really need to increase the variety of finger foods that he eats. The problem is that when it comes to snack time, I can never think of anything to give him. I'll have to check some of the posts for ideas for what to give him.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 02:27:45 am »
Heather:

The last 2 weeks at daycare were a nightmare for the sitter.  She had to call me one day at work to come and get him.  It was because he was teething.  That is when he got his 2 top teeth in.

This was what his schedule was like when he went to daycare:

Awake: 6:15/6:30
Changed cloths and played until about 6:45/7:00
Drove to the sitters:  Only 3 minutes away

Day at the sitters:

7:00 Bottle
Nap: At about 8:15/8:20 until about 9:00
Awake:  Had breakfast
Bottle 11:00
Lunch about 12:00
Another bottle at 12:30
Nap about 12:30 or 1:00 for about 1 hour
Awake/ Play
I picked him up at 4:30, Home by 5:00.  Dinner at 5:30
Bath at 6:15
Bed at 7:00

You know now since I am typing it out, he really did not have  a good routine at the sitters.  I think she did whatever she good at times.  She had 5 other kids.

He has been a very tough and whiny baby since birth.  I have taken the quiz and believe he is a "spirited" baby.  He was colicky and always had a problem sleeping.  He finally slept throught he night at 6 mos. He got in the habit of waking up at 2:00 for a bottle and we took the easy way out and feed him, so we could actually go back to sleep.  Well it only took one night to break that cycle.

As far as his windown goes:  I take him to his room, we have a certain song we play, he has a darkning blind in his room, so it is dark.  I rock him and quitly sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and he sucks on his "taggie".  He WAS doing great with this for the morning.  After about 5 minutes, I would lay him down and he would fall right to sleep. 

I am just going to go back to putting him back down in the mornings at 8:20 and then about 1:00 in the afternoon.  I really thought that extending his wake time in the morning would help with the afternoon and then maybe he would sleep longer in the afternoon and not be that fussy after his nap.

Here is what I will try tom. Let me know what you all think and it we can tweak it any:

Awake: 6:15/6:30
Bottle 8 oz.
7:15  Breakfast
Play/ Walk outside etc.
8:15 upstairs to windown
Nap at 8:20 to 9:30/10:00
Awake:
Bottle 10:30 8 oz.
Activity: Pool, errands
Maybe a little snack if fussy
Lunch:  12:00/12:30
1:15 Windown
1:20 Nap until ???
Awake
Bottle when he wakes
4:00 Big snack to hold over until dinner
5:00/5:30 Dinner
6:30 Bath
7:00/7:15 Bedtime.  I try to offer a bottle, but he never takes it.  He may drink 1 or 2 oz. 

Thanks for all your help!
-Wendy

Wendy -

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 02:32:32 am »
Gabrielle:

It seems like our boys have  a lot in common.  My son LOVES being outside also.  Finally the pool has opened, so I am sure we will be spending a lot of time there, so that may help.  Whenever we go for a walk or outside, he is HAPPY. 

I guess the past week, I have just wanted to give up... I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.  To me it just seemed like he was going down for his AM nap to soon, but you know if that is what works than that is what works.

I posted just before this one:  Let me know what you think about what I may try to do.

Thanks!!!
Wendy -

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 02:35:10 am »
Just real quick (then I'm off to bed) on something that popped out:  spiriteds do have harder time with sleep, so try lessening the amount of noise and interaction during winddown.  I would almost just use cuddling in the rocking chair.  Sometimes more is less with spirited babies.  And the darker the better for spiriteds (and quiet-outside noises, sometimes white noise helps them in their nursery).
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline GabrielleD

• Maryland, USA
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 10:01:47 am »
I like your routine - let us know how it's working out!! Good luck to you!  :)