Author Topic: Not much awake time  (Read 1421 times)

Offline pkralev

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 05, 2006, 02:22:01 am »
HI, my lo is 11 weeks old and her awake time is usually only 1hr to an hour and ahalf. I thought by this age they can stay up longer. Also how can she entertain herself as after i leave her in her bouncer for about 15-20mins she gets grizzly and i have stay with her and entertain her until she is asleep. I've noticed that other babies can entertain themselves for about an hour. Any suggestions? I don't want my little get too used to having me with her all the time.

Offline N Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 64
Re: Not much awake time
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 15:08:17 pm »
Hi,

I think for 11 weeks, an hour of activity time is plenty.  Much more and she's likely to get overtired and grizzly.
I would suspect that when she grizzles after 15-20 mins, she could be bored OR frustrated.  Like, if you put her in her chair and give her something to hold/grab at, she may get frustrated that she can't keep a grip on it, kwim?  If she quietens when you go to her, its more likely to be boredom so when you do whatever you need to do, turn her chair so she can watch you, and sing or chat to her, she'll love this just as much as 'playing' with a toy.

Make sure you watch her for sleepy cues and as soon as you see her getting tired, get her straight to bed, you don't want her bouncy chair becoming a prop!

Nina Lou

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 18:10:26 pm »
At 11 weeks, your LO sounds perfect!  1 - 1.5 hours awake time is great, I don't think mine stretched past that until close to 4 months.  I'm with Nina Lou as well that she's probably bored after 15-20 minutes in the bouncy chair - try shifting her somewhere else, walking around with her, placing her in a different position and see if that helps.

Offline taylorbean

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • Summer Lovin'
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 03:39:12 am »
Your lo's activity time is right on par with the activity my lo had that age. At that age she could only play for about half hour, absolute max 45 min. after a feeding and diaper change and it was time for windown and sleep.

[Julie & Taylor (09/14/2005)