Author Topic: Co-sleeping again and separation anxiety  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Cluna

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:09:32 am »
hello
My Lo is almost 8months old , I wanted to ask about your experience of co-sleeping and how this might effect separation anxiety. we have been on easy since he was 5 months ish. For first couple of months I used to sleep in a room with him (as husband had to drive longdistance at 5.oo in morning) and co-sleep some of the time - I reduced this but probably overreacted to his night wakings - not realising he was sometimes resettling self. Over last few months I have been doing PUPD for naps and tried it at night. I felt a bit demoralised as DH feels it isnt working because LO was waking up so much at night (teething/wants cuddles/wind etc/hungry - reduced milk too quickly) and we haven't been able to co-ordinate what we do - ie he insists on putting him on his knee or walking around with him when he helps out at night (he works away alot). ANyway recently as I can't survive on little sleep because at work 3 days a week, I try and resettle him but if he wakes say 3.00ish in morning I take him into the spare bed in his room and he then sleeps really well. we had got to the stage where I could go in and comfort him with hand or voice and he'd go back quickly. Now he needs pickup cuddle, dummy then back - by 3.00am wake I havent got energy tosit near cot and make sure he settles, so we cuddle up in bed .
ALSO recently stopped breastfeeding after reducing over 3 months
ANYWAY - I feel he is quite clingy although he loves meetingother children and adults (one-to-one) he finds it difficult to sleep at daycare so I have taken him to a childminder who is going to look after him at her home with 2 other children and hope this will be better for him - but still big change. He cries a lot when I leave the room at daycare and at home. WHAT do you think the effect of co-sleeping will be on him if he has got separation anxiety at the moment - I feel he needs a lot of love and security when I'm with him - but that I also need to let others hold him/play with him etc at any opportunity so he knows he is safe with others and encourage his independence.

I'l post routine but dont read if you dont need it!
Chlidminder is trying to keep roughly the same - but often takes them out in pm to park etc. Nursery/daycare have routine which is not specific for my lo -
Wake anytime between 3.00-5.30am (then co-sleep)
EAT  Wake   6.30-7.00  Bottle
Activities - dress/walk dog/play with mummy

E 8.15-8.45 Breakfast  cereal fruit (8.45 at nursery/daycare)
SLEEP 9.15-9.45 NAP (needs resettling after 30mins most time)  30mins-1hr 30mins

EAT 11.00 Bottle 6oz (sometimes wants sometimes not)
play
EAT 12.00 Lunch purees/fruit/cereal water/juice

SLEEP 12.45-1.30
45mins-2hrs(occasionally) depending on when woke from first nap  naps for up to 2 hrs if resttled once and or in car/pram

Play
EAT 3.00pm Milk , rice cake - finger food

play
sometimes catnap between 4-5 in pram
5.30-6.00 dinner veg/cereal

winddown play, bath, bottle , stories, cuddle/song, bed by 7.30-8.00
He was waking very regularly (often in first 2 hours so must be over tired?) then 2-3 times a night If i leave him in cot in ealry hours he wkakes and cries a lot....

thank you so much - just wondered if others have any experience of this
C

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Co-sleeping again and separation anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 14:08:07 pm »
well if you are even sometimes taking lo to bed with you at the night wakings then lo won't know what to expect at the night wakings and keep crying for the other 'option' kwim? if you are going to attempt pu/pd be consistant - that is the most important thing - lo will know what to expect and get used to the new 'routine' or way of doing things much quicker.

by about 6-8 months ppl usually drop that catnap as it is too much sleep for lo. start extending the A times slowly and a little by little without letting lo get overtired in the process and keep that extra A time very very low key. instead of the catnap opt for an earlier bedtime.

good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Cluna

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:44:17 am »
Thankyou for advice

I find he doesnt sleep for long in naps at daycare 30 mins twice a day so he just cant last until bedtime - but I'm trying to help new childminder and daycare to help him go back to sleep if he wakes after 30mins so hopefully it will all work out in the end (altho he's been going to daycare for 2 months and still not sleeping - they think once he starts crawling etc he'll tire himself out - as if the problem is he's not tired enough!!!.
He is drinking a bottle 5-6oz at night (we had phased out night feeding but he was waking so regularly brought one bottle back) Do you think it would be better to still try and dream feed him at 11.00 or wait until 1.00 when he wakes and is hungry ?
I am trying to up calories in the day and lessen milk at night but he seems to go for loads of milk one day and few solids then loads of solids and no milk the next.....
I will try PUPD - I have been doing it since 6months but I cant physically cope anymore with constant broken sleep and 5-6 hours at most sleep that i was getting- but I know your advice is right ( loads of us seem to opt for cosleep in early hours to get through - and he sleeps so well there even when I'm not physically near him in bed!!!
many thanks
clu

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 14:28:21 pm »
i will keep my fingers crossed for you - i have no exp with daycares and hope they work with you and lo to do what is right for lo...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005