Author Topic: she won't stop cleaning!!  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Pigeon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:37:28 am »
Hi,
Now, I know this sounds a bit of a funny post - but my 25 month old DD has a thing about cleaning. She has her own broom, which she gets out when I start to sweep, but her recent thing is tissues. We have a box of them within her reach for nose-blowing, she gets one out at a time and just keeps dusting the floor. The other night she did this for 20 minutes.  ::) Each time we try and get her to stop, and get her interested in something else, she has a fit (she can be a stubborn little minx, that one). If I put the tissues out of her reach, she'll come and ask me (or worse, find something else) to dust with.
I really don't think I'm obsessively clean around the house (I'd like to be, but who has the time with a 2 year old??? ;)) but she DOES seem to be getting obsessed with it. I'm trying not to let it get to me (as I know the more I try and stop her, the more it will aggrevate the situation), but should I be getting worried???
Laura, studying SAHM of
Megan Isabelle - April 2004
William Harvey (Billy) - March 2007

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: she won't stop cleaning!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 10:56:14 am »
I wouldn't be too worried. Just look at it as if it were an exciting new toy you had brought her - would you be worried if she played with it every day for 6hrs? I have found with this sort of obsession that they really "do" it until satisfied and then get over it. Enjoy it while it lasts. If you are worried about her using all your tissues, how about filling an old tissue box with chopped up dishcloths (you know the really thin ones - chux or something) for her to pull out and reuse and maybe refer to them as her cleaning cloths or whatever?

Offline Tamara

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 11:59:08 am »
LOL Laura. 

I have a 3 yo exactly like this - nothing (besides a trip to the park) gets her more excited than when I say I'm going to clean the bathrooms!!!  ::)

She LOVES to clean and uses her wipes to polish, her toy mop and bucket to clean the floor (read: make an absolute mess), and the worse thing is that when we're in my mum's house (which is a farm hose with animals and people in and out all day long), she goes and remarks how dirty/dusty the chairs etc are and how she must clean it all   :-[ :-[ ::) ::)

I don't worry - it's just role play (that's slowly developing into OCD - only joking, honestly!  ;))

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Showing Appreciation 174
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 12:27:01 pm »
I think this is too funny ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
My little siter was like this she is 7 now and still likes cleaning ;) My mom don't mind it 'cause she hate cleaning ;)
~Efka~

Offline Pigeon

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 13:13:54 pm »

she goes and remarks how dirty/dusty the chairs etc are and how she must clean it all   :-[ :-[ ::) ::)

Are you sure we don't have the same child??? I get quite embarrassed whenever we go somewhere and she says, "big mess, must clean it ALLLLLL up"  :-[ :D

Actually, now you come to mention it, she's huge on role playing at the moment, (her other favourite game, "Bella's done a big poo") so as you say, its probably just an extension of that.

Thanks ladies, for putting my mind at rest!
Laura, studying SAHM of
Megan Isabelle - April 2004
William Harvey (Billy) - March 2007

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 18:12:13 pm »
LOL at 15 months, my DD has starting wiping up her tray after she eats with a napkin - whenever she gets one in her hand, she "dusts" the tray, the floor, wipes her mouth, etc.  So, is this where we're headed? :)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 19:00:05 pm »
Would y'all send your kids to MY house?!?!? I could use a little help over here with the "I'm done with it so there it lies" thing Josie has going on. Maybe your kids could just follow mine around picking up after them! ;D

Offline NikiJ

• Showing Appreciation 164
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 21:44:09 pm »
My 20mth old is the exact same.  She looooves the broom.  She cleans her highchair tray, her face & hands and the floor after dinner.  She puts rubbish in the bin & puts her change mat away when we're finished.  She goes around the hse saying "messy, messy" which has me cleaning complusively @ times.

I think it's funny & believe it or not it's her daddy she takes after. :o :o

Let them do it if they want too before long we'll be shouting @ them to tidy up thier mess.

Offline Jenifer

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 21:45:21 pm »
This is making me laugh!   

My mom tells me that when I started to crawl I would go find lint / crumbs on the floor and bring them to her ... and to this day I am obsessive about a clean floor! 

DD - March 2006

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 21:55:32 pm »
Ryan is the same  ::) .if anything is out of place he will put it in the right place. in the past i have moved things around , he thinks they are not in the right place so puts them back.I even got him a girly pink trolley with a bruch , mop and bucket ,duster (they don't have them for boys) he loves it.He has his own dyson hoover .He also uses wet wipes to dust everywhere .He loves to help wash the dishes .he has been like this since he was very young. when he was in his walker he cried for the hoover , we use to give it to him and he would go around in his walker with it.the only thing that annoys me is when he wants to help fold the laundry , this can take ages .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .