Author Topic: Getting rid of the night waking  (Read 1168 times)

Offline newmomdi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting rid of the night waking
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:30:08 am »
Hi there!  My LO is just over 11 weeks old.  She is on a four hour schedule 7,11,3,7, and df at 11.  She does very well on this and wakes only once at night.  She is a reflux baby so we have had a rough time, but she is doing 100% better now with Prevacid.  She wakes every early morning anytime from 4-5:15.  I know it is not the same time every morning but when we get her up, she only takes about 1- 1 1/2 oz then she goes back to sleep.  Last night my husband said he actually had to fight her to take 1 3/4 oz.  She was awake but was fighting the feed as she does sometimes during the day (related to reflux at the END of a feed).  We have decided she is not really waking out of hunger as 1 oz really isn't doing anything and he is able to get her back to sleep within 20 minutes.  For the next few nights we are going to try to soothe her back to sleep.  We do now swaddle her arms again, we had stopped, and she always uses a paci when going to sleep then spits it out once asleep which does not wake her back up again.  I just wanted some tips on how to get her to stop waking and how to get her back.  According to the book this should take a few nights then she should sleep?  Even if it takes more than a few it is okay, but I think the wakings are becoming a habit, and would like to get it taken care of now rather than in a month!!  Any help would be so appretiated!  She takes 6-6 1/2 oz at every feed including the DF and she weighs slightly over 11 pounds.  I know she is getting enough calories throughout the day.
THANK YOU!!!!!!
Angel baby with reflux
Lauren Sarah was born March 18, 2006

Offline nicolanorway

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mum to christian
Re: Getting rid of the night waking
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:51:07 pm »
hey there, and congrats on your LO. my DS was waking up twice in the night, once at 2am and once about 4am. if you really don't think it is hunger, then stop offering the bottle. we had to stop offering the breast and now he only wakes between 4-5am. the way we did it was for DH to get up with him during the night, hence no food. it took 5 nights and then he stopped waking at 2am. he still wakes at 4-5ish, and i feed him. he is four and a half months and i believe he still needs a little top up during the night.
your lo is only 11weeks, so make sure she really isn't hungry, one night waking at 11weeks is pretty good going.
do you cluster feed her now?
 you should post your routine, so that folk can have a look at it
[u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline newmomdi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 14:48:14 pm »
Thanks for responding!! 
7am Prevacid (has to wait 30 min before eating)

7:30 Bottle 6 1/2 oz

8:45-9 Awake time

9 sing and swaddle, down by 9:10

11 wake her if she hasn't already woken (45 minute monster lately :) )

11:15 feed

11:45-12:45 wake time
12:45 sing and swaddle, down by 1

3 wake her if she hasn't already woken

3:15 feed

3:45-4:45 wake time
4:45 cat nap until about 5:30

6:15 prevacid

6:45 feed

7:15-7:30 wake time

7:30 sing and swaddle and down

11  DF

that is my schedule, it has really worked quite well, I moved her bedtime up from 8 to 7:30.  Let me know what you think!
Di
She really doesn't eat anything when she is waking. Our rule is if she wakes after 5 we give the prevacid then feed if she wakes again.  Most times we put her back down after giving the med which is in a TINY bit of water and she sleeps until I wake her at 7 to feed.  There isn't enough in that med bottle to satisfy an ant!!  :)  Thanks!
Angel baby with reflux

Offline nicolanorway

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mum to christian
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 12:21:52 pm »
it seems like your doing a great job, keep at the resettling and cross your fingers. let me know how it is going, if it continues maybe we can come up with a plan of action. nicola
[u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline newmomdi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 16:55:56 pm »
Thank you!  This morning she woke at 6 after only one night of giving her the paci at 4:30.  It might just be a fluke, but we are keeping our fingers crossed!!  Will keep you up to date!!  Thank you again!
Di
Angel baby with reflux