Author Topic: How to stop having to lie beside him?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline ethansmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
How to stop having to lie beside him?
« on: June 05, 2006, 21:26:01 pm »
This isn't a huge problem for me just now but I'm looking for advice on how to stop it becoming one.

I wasn't getting very far with potty training so decided to shelve it for the moment and work on putting Ethan into his single bed. Well, lo and bedhold he took to it no bother, only getting up once on the second night and he has never fell out (don't have a bed guard, just pillows on floor). Once he has had his water and stories, he switches off the light and I put him to bed but he insists on me to lying beside him. I tell him its only for five mins and I always get up after that. He falls asleep by himself like always. I think its because before, after switching off the light I used to sit with him for five mins, give him a cuddle, talk about the day or what we were going to do the next and I think he needs that to wind down some more. Its only been two weeks and he had conjunctivitis for one week so I'm not too bothered about it just now. I just need some ideas on how to tweak the routine so I don't have to lie down with him. My ideal would be to switch the light off and leave but I can't think how to get there.
Deanna

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
Re: How to stop having to lie beside him?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 15:01:13 pm »
Maybe you could sit on the floor next to his bed and gradually move closer to the door for the 5 mins. Then you will hopefully be able to stand outside the door.

This is how we got Harvey in his new nedroom and into a big boy bed. We moved the goal posts every few days. He was 16 months old at the time.

HTH
Rhian

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 15:57:56 pm »
Can't help as my 5 year old still wants us to lie down with her for a couple of minutes before bed.  We do this for a few minutes and then leave when she is still awake as well.

I don't know if at this age that you will be able"to switch the lights off and leave".  I think most children this age need the wind down, the quiet time with parents to help get them settled at night.  If the lying down is the problem why don't you do the same thing as before except sit on the edge of the bed, give a cuddle talk briefly about the day or just sit there quietly say "mummy's going downstairs now.  have a goodnight"   and then leave.  He may protest at first but he may be surprisingly ok with it if that was your routine before.

Offline jmartinelli

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 16:57:47 pm »
When I put my 2 year old in her toddler bed, I would sit in a chair in her room until she feel asleep. I eventually moved the chair until it was out the door (took a few weeks), and now I can put her to bed and close the door. She still whines for a few minutes before going down, but she falls asleep within a few minutes.

Offline sophiem

• Showing Appreciation 72
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 13:17:06 pm »
Ethansmum, i could have written the same post except dd#2 is not in her big bed and it's only at nap time. So I will keep all your suggestions for the near futur. Thank you all.
Sophie
Sarah-Jeanne 05-19-01
Charlotte 05-29-04
I'm french speaking sorry for my english !

Offline UNCMomma

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • Love my girls!!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 15:28:31 pm »
I sit on the side of my 3 year old's bed while we read a book and say our prayers, then I turn on her fan (white noise), kiss and hug, and leave the room.  Could you include your 'in the bed' time while you're winding down, instead of right before you leave??  Just a suggestion!

Amanda