Author Topic: 9 m.o. night waking with chicken pox and teething, Please help  (Read 1399 times)

Offline north london mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My lo is 9 months & 2 weeks. Has been on EASY for about 2 months. He was breastfed to sleep until then and feeding on & off all night as well as frequently co-sleeping. Got desperate and had a maternity nurse come for 2 nights and help us teach him to fall asleep in his crib alone. There was a lot of crying the first couple of nights even with her reassurance technique ( consisted of going in v. frequently - c. every minute - and using cue words.) After c. 1 week he was sleeping through most nights, occasionally needing just a pat. Now I give him a formula bottle at 7pm and top-up of breast feed as he refuses bottle after c. 3-4ozs. About 1 month ago he got a bad virus with v. high temperature and then 1 week ago turned out that what I thought was a cold was chicken pox. The fever made me worry about de-hydration so I was back to breastfeeding him at nightwaking as he would not take water. I had tried to phase this out, but then he got this chicken pox plus he's teething too.  :'( (poor thing) Anyway I have intermittently been giving Calpol( paracetamol) and teething powders. I worry about drugging him to sleep every night.
He is now waking on average twice after I go to bed (and sometimes twice before) c. 12pm and again at 3 or 4am, then waking early generally at 5am - 5.45. And then falling asleep again at 8.30am. I have been giving Calpol at first waking but not at 2nd. On waking he screams escalating to a desperate pitch unless I pick him up. He is usually v. sleepy and tries to settle in my arms but cannot get comfy and so sets off again. Also screams if I try to put him down. the only thing that quiets him is breast feed. I don't think it's hunger, just comfort. I am worried this is setting up accid. bad parenting habits but am worried about doing PU/PD as he is not better yet. What do you think? Please help.
His usual routine is
wake at c 6.30am
E  7am breastfeed
    8am breakfast porridge/cereal/fruit or toast
A  play
S  c. 9.15-9.30am naps for up to 1.5 hours but since this ill phase can be 2.5 hours
Y  recently I have been trying to catch up on sleep as the waking phase is Lasting about 1hr each time
E  11am breastfeed
A  play or outing
E  12.30 Lunch  - solids
A  play
S  2pm
Y  marvellous to get the washing up done!!
E  3-3.30pm breastfeed
A  outing or play
E  5.30pm supper (solids)
A  play, then bath 6.30pm
E  c.7pm bottle and breast feed top-up
S  c. 7.15pm usually goes down well

Last two nights he has woken at 12.30am -1.30am and again at 2.30-3.30am and eventually I have caved in and breastfed to sleep
He then wakes c. 5am. DH has taken him until 7am when I fed him as normal timings but he has fallen asleep again for a further 2 hours. so I have skipped any later nap until after lunch. Could I be feeding him too much or is he sleeping too long? Any suggestions appreciated.
Rosa

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Re: 9 m.o. night waking with chicken pox and teething, Please help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 00:01:12 am »
Rosa...

I am sorry you are having a rough time w/ your lo being sick w/ chicken pox!! It is really tough to stick to a routine when your baby is sick. I know there are MANY moms out there (including myself) who have done some accidental parenting while their children aren't feeling well. You shouldn't feel guilty for this. Just be prepared to have to work hard to get him back on track when he is feeling better!  Kinda like...two steps forward and one step back!  I would keep doing what works for your lo while he is sick.  Everything is more difficult during these times. Don't feel guilty. He feels bad and isn't himself right now anyways!  You are just doing what you need to do to keep him comfortable while he is "under the weather".

Good luck and hope your baby feels better real soon! ;)

Shelby

Offline north london mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 9 m.o. night waking with chicken pox and teething, Please help
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 21:10:16 pm »
Thanks for that.
It really helps to feel suppported when things are getting a bit rough. I will bear those wise words in mind and stop worrying about doing it wrong and just get on with following my mothering instinct for now and see how we get on when he is well again.

Rosa  :)