Author Topic: International Travel with a Five Month Old  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Claudia Main

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
International Travel with a Five Month Old
« on: June 06, 2006, 03:39:01 am »
One week from today, I will be on an airplane from San Francisco to Rome.  My daughter is five months old.  We will be traveling alone.  Yikes!  I am pretty nervous.  Of course I am worried about how she will handle the long flight with all the unfamiliar faces, noises, and scents.  But, I am extra worried about the nine-hour time change.  Does anyone have any experience or advice to share?  (I just joined this site about five minutes ago, and it looks pretty neat!)

Offline Lªuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: International Travel with a Five Month Old
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 06:04:59 am »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=56743.0
Here is a posting with lost of links to start you off  ;)

I am travelling on Saturday for the first time with DS and I have looked through all the websites listed, there is even one for you to ask for/ or identify baby stuff in Italian.

I will also have a look in the BW book to see what Tracy says about travelling in such a big time difference, I read something the other day.

Thankfully I am only 1hr ahead.
Are you staying in Rome long? have you been before?  I was there a few years ago and LOVED it, my friends are just back and said it was really hot (well compared to Scotland  :P)

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 09:40:30 am »
Here is another link for advice on travelling on a plane

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=60029.0

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 19:48:52 pm »
Here is the info from "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers"

Time Changes and Traveling Tots
It may surprise you to know that infants and toddlers who travel by air usually adapt more easily to time changes; at least for the first three years of life, they go with the flow far more easily than most adults. If you’re traveling to a place within a three-hour or less time difference, and you’ll be there three days or less, it’s not necessary to change your child’s routine. If, however, you will be there for more than three days — say, on an extended vacation—you’ll need to help her switch gears. It’s a good idea to factor in the time change when you make your airline reservations. It’s always easier to gain time than lose it.

Daylight savings time changes. In October, almost all of the U.S. “falls” back (gains an hour of sleep). Put your child to bed an hour later, and that will make up the hour. In April, we “spring” ahead (lose an hour of sleep). Shorten the afternoon nap by one hour, SO that she’ll be ready to go to bed earlier that evening and will be less likely to feel the time change.

Coast-to-coast Westbound; (gaining three hours). This IS the easier coast-to-coast trip, because we’re adding more hours to the child’s day. It’s best to leave at mid-day East Coast time and allow your child to have his afternoon nap on the plane. ‘You will arrive at three in the afternoon West Coast time, and the transition to get him to sleep at his usual bedtime routine will be relatively simple.

Coast-to Coast eastbound (losing three hours). It’s best to take an early flight, for instance nine in the morning Pacific time, arriving at SIX in the evening Eastern time. Keen your child awake for the entire trip, if possible. Distract her with activi¬ties; walk up and down the aisles. If you can’t keep her up, at least shorten her nap time (wake her three hours before landing), so that she’s more likely to get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Traveling for 5-8 hours westbound (gaining time). If you’re going from Europe to the US, for example, you would try and allow your child to sleep on the plane for most of the journey. Therefore, it is best to leave as late as possible, so it coincides with his normal bedtime hour.

Traveling for 5-8 hours eastbound (losing time). If you’re going to Europe from either coast, it’s best to leave on the earliest flight possible, between ten in the morning and noon. Allow your child to sleep for the first half of the journey, but make sure that you wake her three hours before you land.

Traveling for 15 hours or more, westbound (gaining time) for instance, going from L.A. to Hong Kong that is, depending on which way your flying, you lose or gain more than a half-day. So that day is apt to feel like night  to your toddler. It’s best to leave around midday, but know that you’ll be getting there a whole day later, because of the time changes. Try not to let your toddler take longer than 2-hour naps throughout the entire trip, effectively maintaining a typical afternoon routine.  By the time you get to your destination, he will be ready for his nighttime routine,

Traveling for 15 hours or more, eastbound (losing time). Coming back from the far east to the states is harder, because now you are losing so much time and spending 15hr on a plane. If you can, book an evening flight so that you can get your child to sleep for the first half of the journey. If you have to leave during the day, wake your child around 3 or 4 in the morning, so that by the time she’s on the plane. She’s ready to crash. No mater how you strategize, it will probably take your child 2 or 3 days to get back on track after this trip.

HTH's
Lauren
Lauren x

Offline mena

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 16:26:46 pm »
Hi,

I've done the Germany-Mexico-Germany trip twice already: the first time DS was 9 weeks old, and last time he was 5 1/2 months. I flew alone with him in the four flights. I was a bit difficult on the way to Mexico, because he was awake and alert the whole time. He's always been nosy, so he wanted to see everything and everyone. Didn't get to rest much myself, but it wasn't too bad. On the way back, because you fly at night (that's what you're doing first, right?), he slept through no problems. Main thing is that you get one of those seats where they put a cot in front of you, so you can lay your baby down. Otherwise, you'll have to hold her the whole flight. Call the airline and ask for one of those seats.

Now, on the plane I always try to follow the same routine I have at home. Feeds at the same time, bedtime and naps as well. Of course it's going to be complicated, because it's a different surrounding, but at least your baby will know what to expect.

Regarding the time zones, I found it more difficult to adapt from Mexico coming to Europe than the other way around. The secret, I found, was to establish routine times as soon as you can. For instance, on MEX-Germany, I let DS sleep on the flight all he wanted. But at 6 or 7 am Mexican time, I woke him up (or he woke up alone, don't remember), and fed him. From there on, I continued feeding him every 4 hours, trying to get him to nap, etc. Of course he didn't go to bed at 7pm German time (12am Mex), but by 12pm he was asleep. And everyday he went to bed earlier and earlier. Just establish the routine as soon as you can, that's it, in case I didn't make myself clear  :-\

As for what to do when baby cries on the plane... take the boob or the bottle out. As last resort, of course, but it works...

Also, when passing security, don't worry about the rest of the passengers behind you. Tough for them if they don't have the patience. I've also found that fellow passengers on the flights are usually very friendly when you have a baby. Adn flight attendants can be very nice too, and most of the time will be happy to help you out.

Hope that helps, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

And good luck!!
Mom to
- Star Wars fanantic 24/11/05
- Little Princess 11/2/08
- Big baby with Big Brown Eyes 31/07/10

Offline Claudia Main

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 02:31:28 am »
I have read the messages left by everyone, and printed it out so I can refresh my memory just before I leave tomorrow morning.  Thank you so much for all the advice!!  I will report back on what I learn from this experience if anyone is curious.

--Claudia

Offline mena

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 09:38:43 am »
Yes, please do.
Good luck!
Mom to
- Star Wars fanantic 24/11/05
- Little Princess 11/2/08
- Big baby with Big Brown Eyes 31/07/10