Author Topic: Should I give up on her napping (28mo)?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:03:53 am »
Dd1 is 28mo, and for very many months (in fact at least a year) has regularly skipped her nap (instead just playing around for 2hrs or so).  So I decided to start noting down how often this was happening, and have done so for the last four days - no naps these last four days.  Previously I remember she was often playing around for over an hour and then only getting to sleep for 20min or so before I woke her up (3pm for 7pm bedtime).  Anyhow, the last couple of days she has learnt how to open her door, and now does so during this time.  I was so worried about her waking up her 8mo sister, and of course today it happened!!!  I was so angry!  Yesterday I started a sticker chart (sticker for staying in her room for 'rest' time).  Yesterday it worked, today it didn't!  I have also taken her out of nappies for her naps (she is out of nappies during the rest of the day) since about a week or so ago, since she was just taking off her nappy at 'rest' time, and pooping or weeing on the carpet.  I now put a potty in her room (and this is working out fine, except she 'needs' to come out and empty it in the bathroom if she's done something in it!).

I put her down at 1.30pm (wake up at 7am ish).

I just don't know what to do, since there is also my baby to consider (she usually goes down at 1.30pm as well).  This afternoon was the first time in the last four days that dd1 has seemed tired by not sleeping (so put her to bed at 6.30pm).  Any ideas?

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Should I give up on her napping (28mo)?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 15:55:39 pm »
She seems young to be dropping her nap, but also she's giving you some hints... it's a tricky decision. One mom around here had to drop nap for her dd as young as 19 months! so far, she's doing fine (lo is almost 2 now) by offering a cat nap (no more than 20 mins) in the stroller and a super early bedtime when lo gets even 13 hours straight at night (she would have 10 when napping for 1 hour...). Every child is different.

Yours seem like an active super smart one, since you said she seemed tired by not napping (even if it just was today) then you have to keep offering the nap. I assue she shares room with her younger sister so how would it work if you offer your older dd nap/down time in your room? maybe turn on a dvd (baby einstein or a soothing one) and bring some stuffed toys, books (and the potty! ;)) to your room too. That way, even if she doesn't nap, she gets quiet and alone time without you worrying about waking her younger sister.

You also mentioned that the stickers worked for one day, so keep doing that too. Some setbacks are expected with EVERY discipline or sleep training method, so it's ok if the 2nd day she didn't seem to care. IF it worked one day, it's likely it will work again. Maybe offer marbels on a can/jar if the stickers get old? Have you both talked about what she will get when she reaches certain number of stickers?

So, summing up, i would keep offering the nap and trying her to get down time but being extra careful about her younger sister's sleep. I hope this makes sense!!!! good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 18:08:38 pm »
I would ask the question - do I really think she needs the nap/quiet time.  If your answer is yes then give her the opportunity and if she doesn't nap - then too bad.  If she is waking up your other little one then I would hesitate to put her down because your other one really needs it.
Is she tired/cranky?  Do you think she would get overtired without the nap?  If not, then you have answered your own question.  Or maybe just put her down for a nap on the days where you think she really needs it - it might not be an everyday thing espically if she is a great sleeper at night.
Did that help?

Offline deenz

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 02:13:16 am »
Well, see I really need her to have a nap!!  (only half joking!).  ::)  Yesterday afternoon it was very clear that she was way too tired after not napping, but I have not noticed this for many months... maybe four days in a row of no nap was too much??! 

The thing is, she will often look really tired before I put her to bed, but then not nap, so I don't know how I would know to offer it to her!  It is nap time at the moment, and she's been in her room for nearly 30min... so far she has not left her room (but she's still awake).  So that's an improvement.

No, the girls do not share a room, but with coming out of her room, dd1's talking etc woke dd2 up (right at that 45min light sleep stage I presume).  She has not, as yet, actually gone into her sister's room. 

The way our house is set up, I can't really see any other way to do this (eg. another place to put her for quiet time), unless she was just downstairs in the family area with me.

Anyway, she is quiet at the moment, maybe she will actually go to sleep!  thanks for your advice!

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 02:20:32 am »
Another take on it is to just not put the pressure on naptime.

My ds has been on and off since he was 22mths, but around 3mths ago I just decided to not offer the nap at all and not even ask him to go to his room for a sleep. I would just explain to him that I needed to have some rest time (I wasn't napping myself, but it was my computer time or whatever) and he could stay in the lounge with me and play quietly or watch a movie or sleep on the couch. I've never had a problem with him doing that - he happily has down time for 2hrs and I've just gotten used to him being around and it's really nice since it's our only time together even though we're doing our own thing - often he snuggles up to me while I'm on the computer. More often than not he will just crash out in the lounge on the beanbag, couch, floor for an hour or so. Life's been much less stressful letting go of the expectation that he needs to be in his room and I actually get more me time because I'm not wasting it by returning him to his room etc and it's one less battle that we're having.

Good luck. :)

Offline deenz

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 02:32:38 am »
Thanks Nikki!  Yes, I see it is going to be a big deal for me to let go of the nap time!  Although fingers crossed she has gone off to sleep today.

I will keep a track of things, and see if there's any pattern, and keep on top of the rewards for staying in her room, and hopefully that will work out for a while yet.  DH and I were contemplating getting a latch thingy for her door, but I don't really want to do that (safety reasons for one).

She is a great night sleeper (and doesn't come out of her room then, touch wood!) so I am thankful for that!