Author Topic: A new night waking / bedtime issues with 14 mo...perplexed!!!  (Read 1336 times)

Offline debandbrian

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
I haven't been around in a while...things were going pretty well and I went back to work so we were feeling good. DS *was* sleeping from about 7pm to 5:30 or 6am give or take (yes, early wakeups but we've accepted i...), and though sleeping through on naps was still occasionally a challenge he was doing much better and we had no complaints.

However, something strange has happened the past few nights. On Friday night after dh left him at bedtime he babbled away a bit but worked himself into a full cry which is not normal. I went in to give him a pat or read him a few more stories and he popped up wide awake and showed no signs of sleepiness. In the end he didn't go to bed until 9 but wakeup and naps the next day were as usual.

Saturday night and last night (Mon) he slept for about an hour (7 - 8 pm) then woke up to a full, violent cry and it took about an hour to get him to go back down - in the end we just shushed (no patting) but he'd flop around and moan if you stopped shushing. Sunday night was normal...but that's only 1 out of the last 4 nights.

We can't figure out what's going on...is he changing his schedule AGAIN???!!!
He's still waking up around 5:30 - a bit earlier actually - and he's a bit cranky but manageable. Most days he's on one nap from approx. 10:30 - 1...we don't have a lot of control over that - he's in daycare and we tell her if she can make it one nap, by all means, but if he's miserable in the am then let him have 2.
What could this be? 9 - 5 is definitely not long enough!!! Anyone else experienced anything similar? Help!!
Deborah

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: A new night waking / bedtime issues with 14 mo...perplexed!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 15:44:38 pm »
Yep a lot of us have experienced that and you'd be surprised if you surf around some post, the amount of posters with issues at 13-15 months is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... having said that, I'd place a bet on your lo having teething issues. Mine has been also always a "short sleeper", that is, the most i get from him in a super good night is 11 hours, his average is 10.5 (he has never done the 12 that the book says he should LOL, maybe i should read it to him)... anyways, he was always a good napper. But when he started teething his 1 year molars (which was about 13-15 months, yes, it took us that long!) he was being a bear, napping awfully, waking early, crying out in the middle of the night with me crying out too because i couldn't find anything to comfort him (i even went back to my old ways of rocking him to sleep and nop, that didn't help)... one day i was doing wi/wo and he was so worked up that he managed to climb out of his crib in the darkness!!!!!!! so, you get the picture, we had a very similar scenario than yours.

A few things you can do to ease this teething process (which can be tricky cause you won't be able to see white bumps for a while, say 3 weeks, and it's surprising how they behaviour is so bad at night, when in the morning they seem perfect).

1. MEds before bed, i found that ds would not react to meds if he was woken from pain. I had to give them BEFORE pain so I would give them at bedtime and on awful days, an extra dose 7 hours later, sort of a "dream feed" of meds. I used a combo of TYlenol and Motrin (both) on the worse weeks. But you have to check with your ped first, to see what he prescribes.

2. Early bedtime: On days he has one nap and wakes at 1 pm or earlier, i think you should get him to bed super early, even as early as 6 pm, cause 7 pm is a lot of awake time for his age (my son is 23 months and has trouble holding for 6 hours of activity...) so, if you put him to bed early, you avoid overtiredness and surprinsigly, this might result in later wake ups in the morning.

3. Handle every night waking and early waking very calmly (I know i was a bear by week 2 and thinking back, that might've made my issues last longer). You have to go to him only if he's crying for you. If he babbles/sings/chats even if it's too early in the morning you have to let him be. When he's crying for you you dont' say much, only it's night time, mommy's tired we have to sleep and lay him back and leave the room. If he cries for you, then you count to 10 and go back again... if he needs extra reasurance and you notice this wi/wo is not working, you can try to stay in his room till he drifts off to sleep.

I hope some of this helps you, it's a rough phase but thanks God it's only a phase and it passes!!!!!!!!!!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 16:05:14 pm »
How long has he been on the one nap at daycare?

Offline debandbrian

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 19:18:57 pm »
Thanks for the responses so far and for moving this message...I didn't even know there was a toddler sleep area which shows you how long it's been since I've been on.

He did get one of his molars about a month ago and we didn't notice too much of a problem with that. I tried yesterday to get a look to see if the other side was coming in but those things are so darn hard to spot! Nonetheless I gave him the motrin during the hour of misery. Who knows if that helped him get to sleep when he did or if he would have anyway, but I am definitely giving it to him again tonight!

As for the nap - he's been in daycare since mid-March (he was 11 months) - at first she tried for 2 naps but some days he just wouldn't do it. I'd say he's been on one nap  *most* days for about 3 weeks now?? It's hard to gauge since dh is the one who picks him up - he usually finds out how many & length of naps but often not the start and finish times. We were happy with the one nap because it's generally a good one, and things were doing fine...but do you think he isn't ready yet? I am terrified to put him down at 6....he's a short sleeper too I guess - it's RARE for us to get 11 hours, so I'm worried that if he goes down at 6 he'll be raring to start his day at 4 am and I can't stomach the thought of that!!!! We are barely able to get enough sleep ourselves as it is now!!!
Well, I'll try the tylenol tonight and maybe the early bedtime and see how it goes. Stay tuned... ???
Thanks again!
Deborah

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 18:27:32 pm »
Normally my dd has prety set night hours so shifting to an earlier bedtime ends up in an earlier wakeup.  The BIG exception was when we dropped a nap.  Then the earlier bedtime really helped to catch up on sleep and to keep her from going to bed overtired.  It's the only thing that turned things around for us so don't be afraid to give it a try!

Offline debandbrian

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 00:23:18 am »
Well, yesterday after such a terrible night the night before he only napped for 1 hour at daycare and was pretty much miserable both before and after. Last night I started bedtime at 6:30 and he couldn't keep his eyes open during the stories...he was asleep by 6:50 and slept straight through without a peep until 5:30...then babbly for another 15 mins before we went in for him. So almost 11 hours was pretty good. I also gave him the motrin before bed AND rubbed the orajel on his gums AND put another blanket over the window (it's light out so late these days) so I don't know if it was all of those things or a combination or just the early bedtime that did it!Today he had one nap from 12:30 - 3 (I don't know how she keeps him awake for so long) and again was asleep by 7. We'll see what tomorrow morning brings  :o
Thanks again for the support and advice...and to the other moms out there reading this one, hang in there...someone told me you do catch up on your sleep somewhere between 3rd grade and the teenage years lol!
Deborah

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 16:28:28 pm »
Fingers crossed for him to keep up this good behaviour!!!!!!!! good job deb!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline debandbrian

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 23:53:21 pm »
Last night was 7 pm on the dot...but wakeup at 5 am  :P One 2 1/2 hour nap at daycare today, and tonight he was a little more difficult at bedtime and didn't get to sleep until about 7:20. Hoping to find the pattern and get to the bottom of it all...
Deborah