Author Topic: 14 month old sleep troubles - help required  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Ewan's Mummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 14 month old sleep troubles - help required
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2006, 06:06:19 am »
Yeah, we only manged 10 hours last night :-( 6.20 until 4.30.. oh well, and here's me thinking I was on 5.45am get ups now ;-)

No this schedule doesn't work for me - i want to lie in bed until 6am so I thought we'll get this routine established with the one nap and the set bedtime and then we'll start gradually trying to move it all so that it's an afternoon nap and a later bedtime.  When he woke up at 4.30 he was desperate to go back to sleep but just couldn't for some reason.. maybe teeth. 

Anyway, there's definately an improvement.

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: 14 month old sleep troubles - help required
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2006, 14:46:42 pm »
When a bunch of us were going through this a while back someone posted that the early wakeup was actually as a result of them having trouble transitioning from the lighter sleep that occurs in the second half of the night to a deeper sleep which can occur for about an hour before wakeup time.  When my dd transitioned we were stuck on a 7:30 to 5:30 night sleep and a 1.5 hour nap at 12:30 for a long time so you may find that he's in a similar pattern for a while. 

To get a workable schedule during this transition we worked backwards.  We figured out that Margot needed tp be asleep 5.5 hours after waking from her nap or she would wake in the night or get up super early.  Her typical nap was 1.5 hours.  We would have loved an 8-6 night but it was too late for her so we had to settled for 7:30-5:30.  Working backward from her bedtime, she would need to wake from her nap by 2 so that meant a 12:30 nap.  So if you are 10:30 nap 6:30 bedtime just shift both bed and naptime forward in 15 minute increments until you hit a 7:30 bedtime and a nap around noon.