Author Topic: 13 month old that I want to put in crib...co sleeper  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Purrness

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
13 month old that I want to put in crib...co sleeper
« on: June 07, 2006, 05:56:18 am »
hi all...new to the board and in desperate need of advice..of any sort! 

Connell is now just over 13 mths.  I need him to sleep in his own room and in his own bed.  I want my husband back in my bed really badly( he's in the "baby" room) 

I've tried putting Connell down just after nursing...as soon as I rest him down, when he's asleep or just about asleep - he cries blue murder...we've let him cry up to two hours...going in and out doing PU/PD method.  He's cried himself to sleep but only through exhaustion. 

Basically what I'm wanting to know is WHAT am I doing wrong, why won't he sleep?  I've been doing the pull the nipple out before he's actually asleep, I've done the rocking to sleep....I've shhhhed him to sleep...he HATES to be patted to sleep.  Is he still at he age where I can change that?  I'm so exhausted... please help

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: 13 month old that I want to put in crib...co sleeper
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:59:12 am »
Big Hugs to you!!

My stepdaughter has this problem with her lo (13 months) so I posted a similar question for her as it had got to the stage that it was a running battle to get the baby to bed in his own room every single night.

The replt I got was that consistency is the key - have an established routine and strategy for dealing with this.  My own lo is four months old (yes, nearly a year younger than his nephew, it gets confusing!) and his bedtime routine consists of bath, dressing in pyjamas, bottle in his dimmed nursery and then into his crib, so he knows its time for his "big sleep".

My stepdaughter does something similar, after his bath her son has "wind down" time in his own room with a bottle and story.

What I was advised was whatever technique you use ie Walk in Walk out, PD (but not CIO or CC) you might have to persevere for up to two weeks before improvement is seen - this could mean a lot of tears!

Good Luck, you'll get there in the end

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: 13 month old that I want to put in crib...co sleeper
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 17:18:59 pm »
What Connell is experiencing right new is brand new to him. He's too young to understand why things are changing all of a sudden, besides he's in the age of separation anxiety. He wants to be warm and cozy around mommy.

I think the gradual withdrawal plan will work for you best. That is placing a mattress, sleeping bag next to his crib, you do your bedtime routine and put him down. Then you lay down next to him (but in a separate bed) letting him know you're still right there for him when he needs you. After a week, he shoudn't be so reluctant to go to bed and as things improve you may start moving the mattress next to the door till you're eventually out of the room.

In the BAby WHisperer Solves All Your Problems book there's a very detailed explanation about a cosleeper toddler and how Tracy helped the parents to solve the problem in a 2 week period by doing this. You might want to check it out.

Also, as Linfran mentioned, consistancy is the key. You're teaching your son a new way to do things so some resistance (and tears) are to be expected. But if you're next to him and have a plan figured out, it will be easier for both of you.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake