Author Topic: my son is a monkey before bed time!!! how do i calm a baby that doesn't want to  (Read 903 times)

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
be held!!!!!!!!ok so i think i do everything i can to make my son's environment calming before bedtime....... i dim the lights when we undress before bath time - i start calming meditation music - i speak in softer tones - we bath and then after the room is dim - i try masagging him but he usually to fussy to get a good long one in - then i try and sit down with him to read to him or rock him for a few mins os i can sing to him - the reading never goes so well - it seems to excite him.....he wants the book he wants to eat the book he flails all over until he can eat the book!!!!! :-\ ;D  then i try just sitting with in the rocking chair and sing to him but he is all over me like a monkey - pushing me away with his arms, arching to go into his crib, ever which way i try he fights me and gets more riled up!!! so i have to put him down but then i still need to try and calm him from over the crib - trying to put my hand on him ever so forcefully to try and help him stay in one place for just a sec because he is usually rolling back and forth back and forth - sticking his legs and arms through the rails.....etc., does anyone else have this kind of trouble calming their baby before bed time???

what are some suggestions that might help this go smoother??? we have manipulated the routine every which way and it hasn't helped with his fussiness - bottle before bath - earlier bedtime - later nap - you name we have tried it......

thanks

sarah ;D

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
My DD was like this (and still is too some extent)

With her I do the bath, then feed her, her bottle, then she will crawl around on our bed for about 10mins, then I put her in her sleeping bag, take her to her room, put her in her cot, she will move round while I sing a lullaby, I say night night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite, I love you very much, kiss her, say night night again and then leave.  She will move round some more just to get in a comfy position then go to sleep.

If he is arching to go into his crib just put him in.

Quote (selected)
he is usually rolling back and forth back and forth - sticking his legs and arms through the rails.....etc.,

I think that is a way of getting in a comfy position.  Does he cry when he is doing this?  If not, I would think just let him get on with it.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel