Author Topic: wanting cluster feed at night?  (Read 998 times)

Offline Ruggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« on: June 08, 2006, 06:13:46 am »
Hi

DS is 2 mo old and is at very healthy weight (almost off the chart on the heavy side :))
He is on 3 hours EASY and I breast feed.
Regardless of what happpen during the night I tired to start his day at 7am and then feed at 10 etc. He happy to be awake for about 50min and now sleeps til his next feed (most of the time). His night routine is bath, breast, very quick song while I burb and he goe sinto the cot awake. He falls asleep byhimself within 10 mins  ;D.

The problem:
between 12am-6 he wakes for 3 feeds. Eg last night Dream feed at 11:30 and wakes for feed again at 2 and again at 4:30 and then 6. The awake time is not habitual coz its never the same time.

I have tried to cluster feed from 4 til bedtime at 6:30. He would then sleeps until 11:30ish before waking for a feed. Then does the same thing from midnight til 6 where he wakes for feed every 2 or 21/2 hours.

I have tried to stop the cluster feed, which he then wakes at around 9pm (3 hours from bedtime) for feed and then DF at around 11. Same thing happens.

For those wakings he sucks for about 6-10 minutes ( i think, Iam usually so tired that I forgets what time the feed started). During the day he sucks for at least 10 mins. I offer more after a burb, he usually gaged.

Since he is 6.6kg last weighed 2 weeks ago, I am thinking of using the dummy to cut a feed as described by Tracy. But he doesn't take a dummy. Or does he needs more food to sustain his weight?

Anythoughts?

Loanne
Domestic Goddess

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: wanting cluster feed at night?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 14:00:04 pm »
imo you could try settling him back to sleep and if he stays asleep more than 1 hr you can be pretty sure it wasn't hunger..if he wakes before the 1 hr mark than feed as it is def hunger. there is nothing wrong with first trying to settle as i think that a lo should be able to go just as long without a feed at night as they do during the day - in this case - 3 hrs. it is still VERY normal for lo's to wake up for a night feed or two at this age - so your lo isn't too off! ;)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Ruggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 11:29:41 am »
Hi teezee

I tried settling without feed last night twice, but no luck. Guess its still early days for him :-\
Loanne
Domestic Goddess

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: wanting cluster feed at night?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 14:19:29 pm »
would you mind posting your routine? it is very common and absolutely  normal for a lo that age to wake even 2 or 3 times at night to feed...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005