Author Topic: Giving up on dreamfeed  (Read 1445 times)

Offline LoomerUK

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Scarlett Eve : 01-13-06
Giving up on dreamfeed
« on: June 08, 2006, 06:43:00 am »
Hi all

My DD is 21 weeks today, and we started her on the EASY four-hour routine two weeks ago.
She took really well to it, and has been much happier with longer and more regular naps during the day. At first I didn't introduce the dreamfeed, as the last time I had tried it (many weeks ago) it didn't help. So we just stuck with bedtime around 7.30pm and waking once around 3.30am for a feed. She would then sleep happily until 7.30am.

After about four days I thought I would try introducing the DF as everything else was working out so well.
Since then her night wakings have got worse and worse. At first she was only waking around 3-4am, which I assumed was habitual from the previous night feeds. However, she then began to wake every hour after this, and a few days later she also started waking at 2.30am. Last night she also woke at 12.30am! She just seems to be waking more and more often as the days pass.

When she does wake her daddy goes in to re-settle her with sh-pat. Initially she was settling back to sleep fairly quickly (within five mins), but recently she has taken longer, and also required some PU/PD. One of last night's wakings took thirty minutes to settle. It's just getting worse and I don't see any progress at all.

She is doing really well during the day though, with two naps of 1.5-2 hours, and a catnap of 45 mins in the late afternoon. Mostly with the longer naps I have to sh-pat her back to sleep after 45 mins, but this never takes very long, and she sleeps soundly afterward.

I'm worried that these bad nights will start to have a  detrimental effect on her daytime naps.
It feels as though the DF is interrupting her deep sleep - previously the 7pm-4am slot was her longest chunk of sleep, but now I break this with the DF, and this seems to throw her out for the rest of the night (she is breastfed, so it's really hard to give her the DF without waking her).

I am now wanting to give up on the DF completely and go back to the early morning feed that we used to do, just so that we can all get some better quality of sleep back again.
Unless any of you can persuade me otherwise??

Thanks!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Giving up on dreamfeed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 19:28:21 pm »
IMO you should definitely cut the dreamfeed out. It is a great thing for many but doesn't work for all (didn't work for us) - as it can disrupt sleep cycles and cause more night wakings in some babies. At your DD's age, one quick night waking to eat is great!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Tatumsmom

• Kim~ mommy to Tatum and Logan
  • Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 02:14:24 am »
Hi,
Your story sounds just like mine. Things got worse after we started the dreamfeed, way more night wakings. We decided to stop, it's only been a couple of days but things are starting to go back to the way they where. The dreamfeed defiantly didn't work for us. Maybe give up on it and see what happens. Good luck :)
KH

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 02:18:58 am »
Yeah if it's not helping, don't do it  ;D  What a great, SO adorable picture of your LO!!!!  Love it.

Good Luck!

Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline twoboys

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Living in Alberta, Canada - EH!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 05:02:29 am »
I totally agree with everyone.  Cut out the dream feed....my DS1 never had it and he started sleeping through the night when he was close to 4 months old.  Tried the dream feed on DS2 and even though he doesn't sleep through the night, it didn't help at all.

Try a couple of nights without the DF and see what happens.  Let us know too.....

Take care...
Stacey

Offline LoomerUK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 09:50:28 am »
Thanks for all your comments... that's definitely cemented it in my mind.

We had got the impression from Tracy's books that we should stick with it and not give up, but we certainly haven't been making any progress - in fact last night she woke SIX times, including one horrible screming/thrashing/scratching session which took more than 30 minutes of PUPD to resolve.

I'll let you know how we get on, I expect it'll take a few days now for her to get back into the swing of things  ::).

This forum is such a great resource - thanks again!

Offline LoomerUK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 18:33:39 pm »
Just an update for those who are interested...

It took until this weekend for Scarlett to settle back into a reasonable routine at night - so that's a good week without dreamfeeding. This period might have been shorter however, if it weren't for the hot. sticky weather we had last week, and some evidence of teething problems too.

Now she is sleeping much more soundly though, and just having one feed at 3am (we might also have to pop in to do a sh-pat at round midnight and/or 5am). Hopefully once she starts weaning she'll be able to do without that one feed.

Thanks again for your help ladies!