Author Topic: 8wk old - wakes at 5, but wont really eat?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline LilLady30

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8wk old - wakes at 5, but wont really eat?
« on: June 08, 2006, 17:16:21 pm »
I am just starting EASY this week and today is my 3rd day on the plan.  So far it seems to be working. Night wakings are way down .. from 4 or 5 to just 2 a night!  Yippee! 

During the day DS eats 4 to 5 oz at each feed with lots of spit up.  I feed him 4/5 oz at 4:00pm, then cluster feed  about 3 oz at 6:00pm and then maybe an ounce at 7:45-7:50pm before his bath .. usually a half ounce.  I cant get him to eat more at this time.  I give it before the bath because after the bath he is so sleepy I cant get him to eat anything. He goes to bed at 8:15 with no fussing.   

I am doing a DM at 10:00 and DS eats 4oz.  He wakes at 1:30 or 2 and eats another 4oz, then wakes at 5 and wants to eat, but will only take 1 to 1.5 oz at at time.  I have tried feeding him a little, then changing his diaper and trying to feed again, but he wont eat.  Does that mean he is just not hungry at this waking?  This morning i tried a paci and pat/shh but he only screamed louder. 

His typical morning is he wakes at 5, eats 1 to 1.5 oz and diaper change, back to sleep .. wakes at 530 or 6 and wants to eat again but eats 1 to 1.5 oz .. then awake for a bit, then eats 1oz around 7:15 .. then awake and down for a nap around 830 or 9.  I would love to change this to him sleeping through to 6am and eating a full feeding and having 6am be his wake time for the day so he can see his dad before he leaves for work. 

I guess I should add that he was born at 36 weeks gestation, but is a big boy.  His birth weight was 6lb 9oz and at a 6 week appt he was already 10lb 8oz.   

Any suggestions? 
Thanks for your help ladies!
Corey
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 17:19:19 pm by LilLady30 »

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: 8wk old - wakes at 5, but wont really eat?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 09:25:49 am »
Sorry this post has been missed.

I think he is not hungry enough.  Does he wake at 5am every morning?
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline LilLady30

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 13:58:33 pm »
Thank you for responding.  Yes, he wakes at 5:00 on the nose every morning and eats very little.  We had is 2 month check up and he weighs over 12 pounds .. so I think physically he can go longer than 2.5 hours without a feed.  Last night i tried the wake to sleep at 4am, but he still woke at 5:00 on the dot.  Maybe i did not wake him enough?  I change his diaper at the 2:00 feed .. so I dont think it is a very wet diaper that is waking him.  I am running out of ideas!

THanks -
Corey

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 18:52:51 pm »
Try wake to sleep at 4.30am.  Just stroke his cheek until he moves in his sleep or turns his head, you have to do this for about 3 days as this interrupts his sleep pattern. Or you could just put his paci in, but gently, so you don't wake him up.

I have tried wake to sleep once, it took me 2 days to alter my DD's sleeping patterns.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline LilLady30

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 20:15:07 pm »
I will try it tonight and let you know how it goes!

Offline LilLady30

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 20:20:05 pm »
I have tried wake to sleep Sat, Sun and Monday nights and he is now waking up exactly at 530, and not eating.  Well, he eats about 2 oz and then wants to be awake.  So the wake to sleep pushed him back 30 minutes .. that is good progress!

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 09:02:31 am »
Corey

Could you post his routine please
Corrina
Mum to Faith